Truck winches

/ Truck winches #141  
Bought one of these for the times when you don't have an anchor point a few years back. I needed it a few times before I bought one, then of course I've been carrying it since and haven't needed it. I know that day 1 after I take it out of the truck I'll need it for sure

/ Truck winches #142  
Bought one of these for the times when you don't have an anchor point a few years back. I needed it a few times before I bought one, then of course I've been carrying it since and haven't needed it. I know that day 1 after I take it out of the truck I'll need it for sure

been staring at those for years. when you need one you need one

/ Truck winches
All the winch comparisons and write ups got my head spinning.
I was all set to buy a Ramsey 15K used off some dude on FBM.

Then I scrapped that idea and went with a new Sherpa Stallion 25K.

Went with the 31K rated rope instead of the cable to save weight & make respooling easier.

1708990643444.png

Should have it installed next week.

/ Truck winches
Nice.

They claim that the later synthetic rope is better at resisting UV, but I'd still keep it covered. Just in case.
Thanks.
I almost bought the cover. Might get one on a separate order soon.

/ Truck winches #147  
I've mentioned before I race sailboats, and the lines used on these winches are mostly taken from sailboat racing, generally Dyneema or Vectran. I have miles and miles of each, they're our bread and butter, so to speak.

Does your application involve any chafing? What line exactly did you get? I suspect most are single braid, no sheath, which can work fine as long as you keep it out of the sun and never let it chafe against anything. Yes, these lines are incredibly strong, like "pick up your truck with a single 1/4 inch diameter line", strong. It really only ever fails at the knots and splices, in the absence of UV damage or chafing.

/ Truck winches
I've mentioned before I race sailboats, and the lines used on these winches are mostly taken from sailboat racing, generally Dyneema or Vectran. I have miles and miles of each, they're our bread and butter, so to speak.

Does your application involve any chafing? What line exactly did you get? I suspect most are single braid, no sheath, which can work fine as long as you keep it out of the sun and never let it chafe against anything. Yes, these lines are incredibly strong, like "pick up your truck with a single 1/4 inch diameter line", strong. It really only ever fails at the knots and splices, in the absence of UV damage or chafing.

No idea. I am going to “close my eyes” and believe in the technology. Can’t believe its actually stronger than the steel cable….
I went with it because it’s much lighter and easier to re-spool.

The winch will bend my Ranch Hand bumper before it stalls, so I have to keep an eye on the bumper when pushing it hard.

/ Truck winches
I actually got sick of comparing & searching. There were chances to buy Ramseys, but they were 15K LBS and everyone has told me to try to buy a wich with at least 50% more pulling strength than truck weight.
My truck weighs 11,000lbs with typical tool weight, so I needed at least a 17K winch.

I found a few, but they were used with asking prices of ~$1,500.

I haven’t read hardly any negative reviews on the Sherpas, so I went with it based on reviews, 25,000lb pull strength and a reasonable price.

/ Truck winches #150  
No idea. I am going to “close my eyes” and believe in the technology. Can’t believe its actually stronger than the steel cable….
I went with it because it’s much lighter and easier to re-spool.
I believe the most common line used on winches is Amsteel Blue, which is a dyneema single braid, running about 30,600 lb. minimum breaking strength at 1/2". Engineering Toolbox puts 1/2" steel cable around 21,400 lb., so Amsteel blue is about 1.4x as strong as steel, in the same diameter.

But when you look at weight and response to failure, the advantages become even more obvious. Steel cable weighs 42 lb./100 ft in 1/2", and Amsteel Blue weighs less than 6 lb./100 ft. Moreover, single-braid Dyneema isn't anywhere near as likely to turn anyone legless when it snaps and recoils, as a steel cable.

Taking the weight and relative strengths into consideration, you could do a 4000 lb. pull at 100 feet on 42 lb. of 1/2" steel cable, with typical recommended 5x safety factor, or the same on 4.5 lb. of 7/16" Amsteel Blue. I know which one I'd rather drag uphill!

The downside is the chafing and UV damage. Keep a cover on it, and protect it where it wraps around trees, etc. They sell double braid line, essentially Dyneema core inside a polyester or nylon sleeve, which protects it against both UV and abrasion. But the outer jacket adds diameter, so all ratings go down per same finished diameter. In other words, 1/2" double braid might be 5/16" dyneema inside a polyester jacket.