Trying to buy - local dealer is non-responsive

/ Trying to buy - local dealer is non-responsive #1  

cowpen

Tractor
RK37H
I'm in the market for a 35-40HP compact. After a lot of research, I've narrowed it down to the LS XR3135H or the Rural King RK37H. I like certain aspects and features of both of these machines, so I figured my decision should hinge on dealer proximity in the event of any service issues. There's a small LS dealership 30 miles away, and the nearest RK Tractor store is 120 miles.

So I stopped by the LS dealership on a Saturday and looked at the 4 or 5 tractors they had on site. They didn't have an XR3135. I talked with the salesman / owner, told him what I wanted and asked him to email me a quote, which he said he'd provide on Monday. Very friendly guy. Thursday rolls around without any contact, so I called and asked again. He emailed a quote a couple of hours later. The quote was higher than RK, but still reasonable. So I replied with a couple of follow-up questions (make/model of quoted grapple / 3rd function, etc.). That was a week ago - no response.

I had visited the RK Tractor store a month prior and the salesman was helpful and responsive with followup emails. Even provided his cell number when I visited and he went over the RK37 with me.

I'm not really comfortable with the idea of relying on service from a distant dealership, but maybe even more hesitant to try to force a relationship with a dealer that doesn't seem to want to sell their product. What's the bigger nightmare in your opinion: long-haul servicing or a local dealer that doesn't even try to make a sale?

/ Trying to buy - local dealer is non-responsive #2  
What you should be worried about is long term support. Visit the RK threads here for more information.

/ Trying to buy - local dealer is non-responsive #3  
If the LS dealer doesn't want to sell a tractor why would you think he would service it? Before pushing the LS dealer ask to meet the mechanic - the guy whose support you will depend on.

/ Trying to buy - local dealer is non-responsive #4  
If the dealer shows little interest that's good sign for you to move on.

/ Trying to buy - local dealer is non-responsive #5  
If the dealer shows little interest that's good sign for you to move on.

That's exactly what I did. Local sales Kid lost a $50K sale because he didn't call back.

In sales the one thing a sales person has to offer is communication. When I interviewed guys for high end technical sales jobs, after they took the job I would say.......and this is the truth.....

As sales reps We have one thing to offer, communications! This is your first warning, you won't get a second. If i ever hear from your customers you are not returning calls etc, it will mean your job, period.

Then I had to teach them how to send a short to the point fax or leave brief voice mail, you can't win!

those were the days.

/ Trying to buy - local dealer is non-responsive #6  
I'm in the market for a 35-40HP compact. After a lot of research, I've narrowed it down to the LS XR3135H or the Rural King RK37H. I like certain aspects and features of both of these machines, so I figured my decision should hinge on dealer proximity in the event of any service issues. There's a small LS dealership 30 miles away, and the nearest RK Tractor store is 120 miles.

So I stopped by the LS dealership on a Saturday and looked at the 4 or 5 tractors they had on site. They didn't have an XR3135. I talked with the salesman / owner, told him what I wanted and asked him to email me a quote, which he said he'd provide on Monday. Very friendly guy. Thursday rolls around without any contact, so I called and asked again. He emailed a quote a couple of hours later. The quote was higher than RK, but still reasonable. So I replied with a couple of follow-up questions (make/model of quoted grapple / 3rd function, etc.). That was a week ago - no response.

I had visited the RK Tractor store a month prior and the salesman was helpful and responsive with followup emails. Even provided his cell number when I visited and he went over the RK37 with me.

I'm not really comfortable with the idea of relying on service from a distant dealership, but maybe even more hesitant to try to force a relationship with a dealer that doesn't seem to want to sell their product. What's the bigger nightmare in your opinion: long-haul servicing or a local dealer that doesn't even try to make a sale?

I would suggest that a bigger issue might be warranty repair, and longevity of tractor support.
The local LS dealer may not seem to be particular supportive, (he may incorrectly think that you are just another "tire kicker") but LS is a manufacturer, and there will likely be other LS dealers around somewhere, for warranty and parts.

RK is a "big box store", and like Cabellas did, is selling a TYM rebranded product.
Cabellas did not last long in the tractor business!
If you buy an RK tractor today, and RK discontinues tractor sales next month, or next year, your RK parts support, and 8 year RK warranty ain't worth squat!

There likely are some Cabellas buyers out there who KNOW this!

Have you visited SW Florida Tractor in Sarasota?
I have found their parts department to be very nice people.
Don't know about their sales guys, or their pricing.
NewHolland and Mahindra.

Last edited:
   / Trying to buy - local dealer is non-responsive #7  
Just find a another LS dealer and save yourself a bunch a grief later on......................

/ Trying to buy - local dealer is non-responsive #8  
I was/am in pretty much the same boat. Visited three different dealers near me (Massey, kioti and ls). None of the three dealers had the size tractor I was looking for. I spent 20 minutes talking to each of them. I asked them to call me when they finally got that sized tractor in stock so that I could come back and test drive.

Two months later, I hadn’t heard from any of them. I called 2 of the three back (I really wanted the Massey, but realized I couldn’t afford all of the implements I wanted if I got that tractor). The kioti dealer said he still didn’t have a 50-60 hp tractor in and I said, ok, call me when you do. That was two months ago (4 total months). The ls dealer I called back said she just got in a shipment in that week.

I went down and checked out the ls mt357 and talked price. It had everything I wanted...price was great. And since I knew the kioti was going to be more expensive and the guy never called me back, I made my decision to go with ls. I have to wait until March, but will be ordering then.

/ Trying to buy - local dealer is non-responsive #9  
I was/am in pretty much the same boat. Visited three different dealers near me (Massey, kioti and ls). None of the three dealers had the size tractor I was looking for. I spent 20 minutes talking to each of them. I asked them to call me when they finally got that sized tractor in stock so that I could come back and test drive.

Two months later, I hadn’t heard from any of them. I called 2 of the three back (I really wanted the Massey, but realized I couldn’t afford all of the implements I wanted if I got that tractor). The kioti dealer said he still didn’t have a 50-60 hp tractor in and I said, ok, call me when you do. That was two months ago (4 total months). The ls dealer I called back said she just got in a shipment in that week.

I went down and checked out the ls mt357 and talked price. It had everything I wanted...price was great. And since I knew the kioti was going to be more expensive and the guy never called me back, I made my decision to go with ls. I have to wait until March, but will be ordering then.

The CUT tractor market is apparently hot!
The dealers probably do not need to follow every lead.
They may not have enough tractors to serve the ready, willing and able buyers.

/ Trying to buy - local dealer is non-responsive #10  
I have a neighbor who owns a local motorcycle dealership. Late last year, he attended the annual dealers meeting. During the meeting, a big wig of the manufacturer takes each dealer owner off to a private meeting to review the previous year.

One of the performance indicators they review is their e-mail reply rate. Apparently, they were only returning 70% of e-mails, which did not meet the standards. How did the manufacturer know this? They actually send the dealers ghost e-mails and keep track!!