Tuff Torq K46 - rebuild or just drain/refill oil?

/ Tuff Torq K46 - rebuild or just drain/refill oil? #11  
Just curious how many hours you have on the machines before they show signs of needing a rebuild. My k46 (big box Deere bought in 2005) is still going strong. I probably just jinxed myself by saying that.

/ Tuff Torq K46 - rebuild or just drain/refill oil? #12  
As many of us know, these Tuff Torq transmissions lose power over time. On my Husqvarna LGT 24K54, it lost virtually all power to climb the slightest of inclines after only 10-15 mins of use. I spent the $400+ and bought the rebuild kit from TT and ...rebuilt it, added new fluid and mmmmmmmmmmmmwah - she was like new again. (Never going to tow anything above 25lbs again!!!!). I now am having a somewhat similar issue with my JD LA175, though it only looses about half power after 20 minutes.

Big question is: Do I rebuild or just drain and refill with new TT fluid/oil? I removed that small cap in the rear of the tranny, higher up on the tranny, and when I stuck a 3" match stick down in there, it seemed quite low; barely hitting the 1/4" mark with about and inch and a half worth of the match stick stuck down in there. (Scientific, I know...). So I'm wondering whether to just take the tranny completely off the machine and just drain & refill --- or buy the rebuild kit and finish by refilling with new fluid/oil?

Any way to know if you just need fresh oil or a rebuild kit???

Thanks all.

Jay
Least invasive way first.

/ Tuff Torq K46 - rebuild or just drain/refill oil?
Clean the area and remove the fill plug (the flat metal cap, more to the front left). Underneath the plug is a magnet. A coating of grime means at least some steel, and you know aluminum is floating around in there then too. I use that for an indicator to replace the transmission. If your game to rebuild, then do so. But if not, try an oil change to the 15W50 or 20W50. Or if it's low, add some.
To those touting a manual transmission in a lawn tractor, I don't know of one that exists anymore unless you buy a MTD CVT belt system with the FNR box.
Thanks so much, Tom. Exactly the kind of feedback I was looking for. One question, based on my order last night of the Tuff Torq 5W50… Do I need to use “Tuff Torq” 15W50 or 20W50? And what’s the thinking on going to those higher viscosities? How does that help the transmission operate better? (Thanks so much!!).

Just curious how many hours you have on the machines before they show signs of needing a rebuild. My k46 (big box Deere bought in 2005) is still going strong. I probably just jinxed myself by saying that.
My Husqvarna (bought in 2011) was around 350 hours when it started whining and loosing power. I towed a cart often and carried heavy loads semi often and live on a hilly terrain. I limped it along for almost 3 years before rebuilding it. This JD has about 250 on it. I got it from a client (I do a lot of small engine repairs) who did not want to invest in it. This one operates great for a lot longer than my Husqy did - and if I were going to keep it, I'd just do like I did with the Husqy and mow with it until is crapped out, shut it down, let it cool, and then get back to mowing when it was ready. But, since I have the Husqy, it seems foolish to keep both and I'm confident that the JD will fetch considerably more money in a sale, and I don't feel right selling it with the tranny the way it is. (But I'm bumming because I like the way the JD mows a LOT better than my Husqy. When I engage the PTO for the mower deck on the JD, it just spins to life like it was nuthin. My Husqy struggles to get going. I honestly think that's another project to solve on the Husqy, as it almost stalls out when I first engage PTO. I recall running on 1 cylinder once and that was the cause, but, I'm 99% sure I'm running on 2 now. Going to confirm that. Then try new spark plugs. Then try new ignition coils. I've spun the mower deck belt by hand and it seems to move freely - spindles are relatively new and greased. Not sure why the JD spins the deck so much easier. The JD has one more HP than the Husqy, 25 vs 24, but I wouldn't think that would be the issue).

/ Tuff Torq K46 - rebuild or just drain/refill oil? #15  
Thank you, jgayman. I appreciate your perspective(s) on hydro and geared transmissions and how well your 175 performed since '88. But, (without sounding like a jerk), no one is answering my question, and obviously no one has a crystal ball, but: Given the stated operation, of losing maybe 50% of its power after about 20 minutes - should I just drain the transmission of its fluid and just replace with new ...or bite the whole bullet, spend the $4xx buck and buy a rebuild kit to rebuild it, which will include new fluid???

Yeah, sorry... things did get a bit off track. I agree with the previous poster. Check the condition of the magnet. My gut feeling is that old fluid that isn't contaminated with water is not going to cause the power loss issue you are experiencing and it is probably more due to something being worn, most likely in the pump area. Bottom line... if you can get the kit and can rebuild it yourself go for it, you will have a like-new transmission again.

/ Tuff Torq K46 - rebuild or just drain/refill oil? #16  
When I engage the PTO for the mower deck on the JD, it just spins to life like it was nuthin. My Husqy struggles to get going. I honestly think that's another project to solve on the Husqy, as it almost stalls out when I first engage PTO. I recall running on 1 cylinder once and that was the cause, but, I'm 99% sure I'm running on 2 now. Going to confirm that. Then try new spark plugs. Then try new ignition coils. I've spun the mower deck belt by hand and it seems to move freely - spindles are relatively new and greased. Not sure why the JD spins the deck so much easier. The JD has one more HP than the Husqy, 25 vs 24, but I wouldn't think that would be the issue).

Does the Husky only have issues getting the deck started when everything is cold or is it anytime?

The reason I ask is I have a similar issue. An old Ariens will start the deck up effortlessly any time but a newer JD X500 struggles when the machine/deck is cold. When I first get it out of the garage you have to really let it warm up or it will keep stalling out when trying to start the deck. Even then it takes 3/4 to full throttle to get the deck going. After the deck has been in use for a while the tractor can literally start it up at idle. Very weird.

/ Tuff Torq K46 - rebuild or just drain/refill oil? #17  
The heavier 50 weight oil does not thin out as much when it gets warm or hot so less internal leakage and HST performs better. I would change oil and see how it performs before doing complete rebuild

on X500 engagement of mower deck. At lower RPM activate the choke partially and deck will engage without stalling the engine. This procedure works very well on my X540

/ Tuff Torq K46 - rebuild or just drain/refill oil? #18  
Seven speed manual shift riding lawn mower:
1649271997455.png

That was easy to find.

Richard

Does the Husky only have issues getting the deck started when everything is cold or is it anytime?

The reason I ask is I have a similar issue. An old Ariens will start the deck up effortlessly any time but a newer JD X500 struggles when the machine/deck is cold. When I first get it out of the garage you have to really let it warm up or it will keep stalling out when trying to start the deck. Even then it takes 3/4 to full throttle to get the deck going. After the deck has been in use for a while the tractor can literally start it up at idle. Very weird.
Well, for the Husqy, the only time I go to engage the mower deck - to mow the grass - is when it's "warm"; 60 degrees or above.

Once everything on the machine "gets warmed up" - used 5 to 10 minutes or so - then everything seems to work normally, or as one would expect.

I will say though that, ANY time I engage the PTO on the JD, that mower deck spins up like a hot knife through buttah!

Seven speed manual shift riding lawn mower:
View attachment 740614

That was easy to find.

Richard
Well, the minute you tell folks, 'there ain't much of any of those things' someone goes out and finds an example of the opposing viewpoint. I believe jgayman was saying that, 'most lawnmowers come with HST trannies, not geared' and to that, I agree 100%. I fix 100s of lawnmowers and have never seen one geared transmission. Obviously they make em', and good on you to point this out, but they are in the overwhelming minority, in my - and others - humble opinion.