Tuff Torq K46 - rebuild or just drain/refill oil?

/ Tuff Torq K46 - rebuild or just drain/refill oil? #51  
I didn't notice any kicking or cussing. Give that a try... I assume you have your wheel keys in place? When you pull out the bypass valve, any change in noise? That's a tough place to be in. Walking through the steps of something like that when you're not the guy that does it every day.

/ Tuff Torq K46 - rebuild or just drain/refill oil?
I didn't notice any kicking or cussing. Give that a try... I assume you have your wheel keys in place? When you pull out the bypass valve, any change in noise? That's a tough place to be in. Walking through the steps of something like that when you're not the guy that does it every day.
Hi Tomm. Not entirely sure what you mean, "kicking or cussing". The machine didn't move or even feel like it was attempting to move. Keys are in slots of axles with wheels - check!! No change when pulling/releasing bypass valve; (I assume this is the "free wheeling" lever at the very rear of the machine).

Last edited:
   / Tuff Torq K46 - rebuild or just drain/refill oil? #53  
I meant I might kick or cuss. Just makes me feel better. :) It's tough for someone to say what is at play here as it was just apart rather than the symptoms of an existing unit. Their customer assistance center is real good. There may be some question you had in the back of your mind on assembly that might warrant an email to them.

I meant I might kick or cuss. Just makes me feel better. :) It's tough for someone to say what is at play here as it was just apart rather than the symptoms of an existing unit. Their customer assistance center is real good. There may be some question you had in the back of your mind on assembly that might warrant an email to them.
Okay, I think i follow. "Kick and cuss" as in the machine might have bucked (jumped violently forward or back)?

Not sure what I'd email TT, other than my post a few entries ago with my update that "she don't work". Maybe I'll try that. I have a feeling it's going to be: remove transmission, bring it back on bench, take it all apart again, .... I think I spent 4 or 5 hours doing all this the first time. Dang. Oh well, the bain of being a DIY'er I guess. Thanks Tomm

/ Tuff Torq K46 - rebuild or just drain/refill oil? #55  
I hate to bring it up but do you recall that mysterious c-clip you found on the floor? :unsure:

I don’t. (Memory must be gettin dusty). I’ll have to go back through and find it.

I hate to bring it up but do you recall that mysterious c-clip you found on the floor? :unsure:
Hi Jaxs. I just went back through and read all 6 pages of this thread and don't see anywhere where I said anything about a "mysterious c-clip that I found on the floor". Are you possibly referring to a different post or different person?

/ Tuff Torq K46 - rebuild or just drain/refill oil? #58  
Last Spring I did a drain and refill on my JD X300 and X350 both had close to 200 hours on them when I changed the oil out. I used Mobil 1 20w50 and 8OZ of Lucas oil stabilizer and What a difference it made. I mow in Central TX and my place is flat and i occasionally pull a gorilla cart with my weed eater, fuel, clippers and a cooler to clean out fences lines. I can defiantly see a change when its hot they both just keep on trucking now, no more loss of speed or power.

UPDATE: Dropped the transmission and checked oil level - spot on right where it was when I topped it on the bench.

Is there any chance that a TINY bit too much fluid in the tranny could cause this problem? Instead of being 3/4" below the rim of the fill hole, it's 1/2"... I can't imagine that would case the transmission to not work and whine like that.

If I have to take this apart again, I have no idea what I'll be looking for as I took my time putting it back together and thought I did it properly...... Yaks!!!!!

/ Tuff Torq K46 - rebuild or just drain/refill oil? #60  
I remember when I rebuilt mine there was a tiny little part they said, don’t lose and make sure you put it back.