Turbo sockets?

/ Turbo sockets? #1  

brown40

Gold Member
Tractor
JD 3520
Well everyone has been at that point of desperation at some time turning nuts & bolts, when the hold is more than the material can bear, and you gorilla it, and you can't hope to pound the next size down...

Replacing the 6.0 Ford oil pan from underneath, and those engineers have a sick sense of humor.

Has anyone had experience with "turbo sockets"? A socket with a spiral cutting face.

The theory sure seems sound, and I know where vise grips and easy outs usually get you, but before I resign to losing more metal on the way to drilling and tapping, I was hoping these might be magic...

What's the consensus? Worth a try? Thanks in advance!

/ Turbo sockets? #2  
Do you mean the ones that act as extractors for rounded off bolts? If yes then they are great, hammer them on good and get the bolt out I've pretty much always had good luck with them

/ Turbo sockets? #3  
I got a set from matco. I have had hit and miss luck with them. I picked up a set of pw1, pw2, and pw0 pliers off the snap on truck. They are a combination pipe wrench/channel lock pliers. If I have room for a wrench then they are my go to before drilling and tapping. They bite and don't slip and worth every penny.:thumbsup:

/ Turbo sockets? #4  
Yea they usually work if you can pound them on decently. They wont magically bite onto a bolt, its pretty much like pounding on a smaller sized socket. I only bought the ones I normally use.

/ Turbo sockets?
Yeah the extractors--they seem like a great idea.

Dropping a size worked well where I could get a swing, but for the ones behind the transmission line I'll have a hard time even seating a socket.

Ordered a 1/4" set from SK tools that has a really tight sequence just under 8mm, so I'm hoping to be able to seat one snug and avoid slip #1 on those ones... lots of the sets seem to have pretty significant gaps.

Thanks for the replies!

/ Turbo sockets?
Got them yesterday; tried them today... keep in mind that 2 of 3 slipped where I could access (horrible corrosion from the Ca+); didn't attempt areas I couldn't hammer a socket on after getting to my first tap...

Every bolt bit, turned, and freed on the first attempt but one, which I'd gone at twice. Dropped a size, and out that came.

I am as pleased with these things as I have ever been, with any purchase. Absolutely bailed me out of a terrible spot.

How was I turning wrenches the last 30 years and not run into these things sooner. I am thrilled to have these in the box. Will be filling slots for the usual suspects.

The set I got was a S&K 1/4 inch, and the size progression is incredibly tight (why the choice): 16 sockets from 6mm to 10mm. They were pricey... but in my mind, they put $1800 in my pocket today.

Get some--I'm a believer!:thumbsup:

/ Turbo sockets? #7  
I have found that most times the problem is using 12pt sockets. If it seems like it is gonna round of the bolt, i stop and fix a 6pt to put on it.