Turf tires - weight box helpful?

/ Turf tires - weight box helpful? #11  
Not really...expensive ballast and raises the tractor's CoG way too high...

I don't agree.

On top of supplying lots of ballast, it is also great for extracting the machine if you get stuck.

CG "way too high"? Too high for what? Plowing sideways on a slope?

I have no high CG issues on my tractor.

It's also pretty good for digging holes.

/ Turf tires - weight box helpful?
Ouch..Ray, If I am worried ..about being worried ..about a blade in the back ..a back hoe sounds like drunk alligator's tail to me. Plus.. I don't dare have a back hoe. I live in the 'critical areas' where everybody drops a dime on you if you cut the grass too short or get a load of dirt delivered. A back hoe would simply be too tempting for me to make some roots 'disappear'. They'd hang me.

I am going to remove the FEL for the first time. It is so useful that I am reluctant to be without it. I simply love having a 'real' snow plow. I Had to have one before I check out.

Jim

/ Turf tires - weight box helpful? #13  
I have the same tractor (1070) and have had no issues with either my R1's or turfs and no chains. I have a ballast box and this year I'm using my box blade on the back. Just had an 8" dump of heavy wet stuff and had no issue pushing my 84" WR Long plow. I've pushed 15" stuff with the same result. Granted I've got only a very slight incline but it has performed flawlessly for me. If I had some inclines I'd opt for more weight and maybe chains.

Sent from my iPad using TractorByNet

/ Turf tires - weight box helpful? #14  
Weight is your friend when pushing snow. And my experience is on pavement, turf tires get the best traction in snow and on ice with no chains. I have had two tractors with turfs that I pushed with for a lot of years. No chains, just Rimguard in the rear tires for ballast, and my salt spreader on the 3pt. My R1's were horrible until I grooved them. More biting edges = more traction. (snow and ice) :thumbsup:
101_3270.jpg101_3263.jpg
Obviously the date was wrong on my camera. :laughing: :ashamed:

/ Turf tires - weight box helpful? #15  
Wetstuff,
I'm curious why you didn't use a chain attached to the FEL bucket to raise and lower the snow blade. Having said that, I do like the blade being close to the front tires. Looks like that would make it easier to keep the rig running straight when using the blade angled as well as decreasing the overall length of the rig for manueuverabilty in tight quarters.
Just as an afterthought here, it seems like the ideal snow blade could be used as a bucket for piling snow as well as an angled blade for pushing. Is there such a thing?

Edit: Looks like the FEL would increase traction assuming the tractor is FWA especially if there was weight in the bucket.

Last edited: