Turn an old truck into a tractor????

/ Turn an old truck into a tractor???? #11  
I say why not, if you can make use of it give it a try. I think I will end up using an old 3/4 or 1 ton 4/4 for some kind of utility vehicle . Here is a pic of one I like that I found on Machine Builders Network Lot of good info on building things from scratch like backhoes and modifying things.

Attachments

• 2007-12-16_125940_progression_1.jpg
    2007-12-16_125940_progression_1.jpg
    44.2 KB · Views: 1,037
   / Turn an old truck into a tractor???? #12  
Way back in the late 60's, the local IH dealer here had a new Scout 1/2 cab that he had fitted with a 3ph and pto. He used it to mow hay as well as most other tractor duties on his farm. Looked kinda funny parked in town with a disc hangin' on the back.:confused: I wish they still made them...Dan.

/ Turn an old truck into a tractor???? #13  
There is a homemade tractor club, in New England. The vehicles are called doodlebugs. They were vehicles made during or after the war by farmers to maintain their farms due to shortage of tractors due to the war. Doodlebugs were flatheads or model t's or half pickup,whatever worked,they had big truck or tractor rears,double transmissions,flatheads. The local fairs have doodlebugs doing sled pulls. You can get into the hobby for not a lot of money. Rules keep the vehicles from getting too elaborate and too expensive. plowking

/ Turn an old truck into a tractor???? #14  
I'm doing the same thing to a 90 Dakota 4x4, I'm removing the bed, shorting the frame not quite to the axel. between e-bay. tractor supply, and northern-tool you can buy a three point hitch, pto pump, and controls for around $500. you will have to have the hose's made up, and make some brackets for the pump. With the 4x4 I have several "lows" to choose from. I'm going to "jack it up" to the height I will reinforce the shock brackets and replace the shocks with "struts" so it won't bottom out, I'm also adding a "boom" and winch in the bed. I've been studying on this for a while now, looking things up etc, it's very doable' and easier to buy and add on the right pump and pto than it is to "invent" one and cheaper in the long run, since yours is a two wheel drive, I suggest welding up the spyder gears, or purchase a Detroit locker.
As, far as tires, get some old military tires and go tall as you can, or just add snow chains, I've run many a boggy swamp with chains on my tires. towing mowers works well it you stagger just right. Good luck

/ Turn an old truck into a tractor???? #16  
I built one when I was a kid going to school (almost 50 years ago). The frame was from a 1950 Chev sedan, the power train was from a Morris Oxford (4 cylinder, 4 speed), and the front axle was an inverted I-beam from a Morris Ten. I wanted my father to spring for a 3-ton truck rear end, but he never did. The rear axle was upside down so the spring rests would easily bolt to the frame (no welder then), hence 1 speed forward and 4 reverse. All the tires were bald, so father found a couple of larger size snow tires, cut the beads out of them and mounted them over the bald tires on the drive axle. That worked pretty well except when dirt got in between the 2 tires...then the inner tire could spin inside the outer tire. It worked well pulling a (horse drawn) mower, dump rake and trailer. I called it the Hoyt-Clagwell. Wish I had a picture of it.

/ Turn an old truck into a tractor???? #17  
I built one when I was a kid going to school (almost 50 years ago). The frame was from a 1950 Chev sedan, the power train was from a Morris Oxford (4 cylinder, 4 speed), and the front axle was an inverted I-beam from a Morris Ten. I wanted my father to spring for a 3-ton truck rear end, but he never did. The rear axle was upside down so the spring rests would easily bolt to the frame (no welder then), hence 1 speed forward and 4 reverse. All the tires were bald, so father found a couple of larger size snow tires, cut the beads out of them and mounted them over the bald tires on the drive axle. That worked pretty well except when dirt got in between the 2 tires...then the inner tire could spin inside the outer tire. It worked well pulling a (horse drawn) mower, dump rake and trailer. I called it the Hoyt-Clagwell. Wish I had a picture of it.

This is on Craigslist right now:

Blazer loader

00p0p_715velZYwo4_600x450.jpg00z0z_kBlMLLhSnRp_600x450.jpg

/ Turn an old truck into a tractor???? #19  
I've been familiar with the term "skip jack" in the New England north woods.

An beat down 4X4 with a repalcement engine /transmission feeding into the original transmission and transfer case.

Add big tires, and there you have it.

Don't have any photos though. wish I did. The support/adaptor plate joining two transmissions can get quite creative ;-)

/ Turn an old truck into a tractor???? #20  
I've been familiar with the term "skip jack" in the New England north woods.

An beat down 4X4 with a repalcement engine /transmission feeding into the original transmission and transfer case.

Add big tires, and there you have it.

Don't have any photos though. wish I did. The support/adaptor plate joining two transmissions can get quite creative ;-)

I have seen where they take the engine and transmission from a FWD car (older Honda 1.5L and 1.6L engines are popular) and hook its driveshafts to the axles from a 4x4 or AWD vehicle. Instant 3 or 4 to 1 gear reduction.
Search for "transaxle buggy" to find some.

Aaron Z