Twisted Clutch Arm?

/ Twisted Clutch Arm? #1  

FleetMan

Bronze Member
Tractor
YM1820D
I got myself stuck in some stumps, rocks and mud today and had to use the FEL to help get unstuck. In the process, I stalled the engine and could not restart. Everything checked OK but the starter would not engage. Finally I pushed the clutch safety switch with my thumb and it started like it should. Back in the garage checking things out I noticed the clutch pedal bottomed out on the left edge on the sheet metal without touching the button on the safety switch. Also, the clutch hold down latch would not flip over the pedal to lock it down. I suspect I hit something and the clutch linkage underneath got bent and needs to be tweaked in the other direction.

Has anyone else experienced anything similar? Your thoughts on bending the clutch rod so the right side of the pedal touches the safety switch again and the hold down latch flips easily over the pedal like it should?

/ Twisted Clutch Arm? #2  
I got myself stuck in some stumps, rocks and mud today and had to use the FEL to help get unstuck. In the process, I stalled the engine and could not restart. Everything checked OK but the starter would not engage. Finally I pushed the clutch safety switch with my thumb and it started like it should. Back in the garage checking things out I noticed the clutch pedal bottomed out on the left edge on the sheet metal without touching the button on the safety switch. Also, the clutch hold down latch would not flip over the pedal to lock it down. I suspect I hit something and the clutch linkage underneath got bent and needs to be tweaked in the other direction.

Has anyone else experienced anything similar? Your thoughts on bending the clutch rod so the right side of the pedal touches the safety switch again and the hold down latch flips easily over the pedal like it should?

Do it !
Why wouldn't you?

/ Twisted Clutch Arm?
You know the old axiom, Don’t strain yourself, get a bigger hammer! My concern is using some heavy duty leverage and messing something up. I will do it, I was just curious if anyone else had experienced the same thing. For the record, I’ll report back after I realign things.

/ Twisted Clutch Arm? #4  
"Inspect and repair as necessary"

/ Twisted Clutch Arm?
"Inspect and repair as necessary"

Problem resolved, tool - 12 pound sledge hammer! Upon inspection under better light, the left foot rest and sheet metal was bent up and changed the geometry around the clutch pedal. Clutch pedal bottomed out on the raised metal and could not go down as far as required. Clutch arm was not the problem. Norm, thanks for the reminder to explore the basics more thoroughly.

/ Twisted Clutch Arm? #6  
Glad it was just the sheet metal and not the actual clutch arm!!

/ Twisted Clutch Arm? #7  
Problem resolved, tool - 12 pound sledge hammer! Upon inspection under better light, the left foot rest and sheet metal was bent up and changed the geometry around the clutch pedal. Clutch pedal bottomed out on the raised metal and could not go down as far as required. Clutch arm was not the problem. Norm, thanks for the reminder to explore the basics more thoroughly.

My old National Cash Register repair training.:)

/ Twisted Clutch Arm? #8  
Percussive therapy! :)

That goes to prove Yanmars were designed for the owner to maintain with a screwdriver, a socket set, and a BFH.