TYM T474 3 pt hitch sway

/ TYM T474 3 pt hitch sway #1  

rjman

Tractor
TYM T474
I have been having some issues with the amount of sway in the 3 pt hitch with some implements. With my box blade scraper on or with the tiller on, the sway is enough on uneven ground to rub the tires. I have tried adjusting the check links on both sides to the maximum length with the implement centered. It seems to make no difference, these implements will sway the eyelets for the check links right into the tires. Anyone else having this issue? If so did you find a fix for this? You can see in the picture on the tire where this has been making contact.

IMG_0241.jpg

/ TYM T474 3 pt hitch sway #2  
Hi rjman, try going the opposite way....tighten up the check links. Should cure the problem.

/ TYM T474 3 pt hitch sway #3  
Tightening the links will reduce the sway. Allow an inch or two of play. Beyond that it's possible the arms are too short to allow clearance.

/ TYM T474 3 pt hitch sway #4  
I have been having some issues with the amount of sway in the 3 pt hitch with some implements. With my box blade scraper on or with the tiller on, the sway is enough on uneven ground to rub the tires. I have tried adjusting the check links on both sides to the maximum length with the implement centered. It seems to make no difference, these implements will sway the eyelets for the check links right into the tires. Anyone else having this issue? If so did you find a fix for this? You can see in the picture on the tire where this has been making contact.

View attachment 700585

View attachment 700585
I had this problem on mine. I was using a quick hitch and pull enough slack out to keep it from rubbing. I removed the quick hitch ans readjusted it and it seemed to solve the problem. Still didn't make sense to me why the quick hitch mattered but it did.

/ TYM T474 3 pt hitch sway #5  
This is why I've decided to keep the turnbuckles on my T474, I have a finer degree of adjustment on them this way.

/ TYM T474 3 pt hitch sway #8  
Remember, that you adjust the left side by trying to touch the right tire and setting it with about 1.5-inches of clearance. Then do the same for the other side. Something learned in the “Farm Equipment” clsss I took in Junior High.

Now that I actually bought a tiny tractor it is all coming back. I think I’ll call the High School and see if they still have classes/text books.

/ TYM T474 3 pt hitch sway #9  
My tractor is old and has seen lots of wear over the years.
When I adjust my check chains I check them at top and bottom of throw for clearance. I put the implement at the lowest setting and check for slack then I raise it and check for slack. If I do not I run the risk of setting it to be just a little slack at one point and a read bind at another.