types of transmissions

/ types of transmissions #31  
Does this qualify for "ad hominem" ?:D

No.. but in all fairness...now that you bring it up, it does count as name calling. I had previously forgotten that comment. thus my mistake in ref: to the name calling comment by JSborn ( and my bad ). thus.. my appolgies to both of you.

soundguy

/ types of transmissions #32  
I come away from this discussion with the conclusion that NONE of the transmission designs currently available are necessarily "inherently" superior to another. Structurally, they will all perform, with outstanding reliability; given proper operation and maintainance.There are operational attributes; however, that make one design inherently superior to other transmission types when comparisons are based upon the type of work being performed.

AKfish

Good post.

soundguy

/ types of transmissions #33  
The HST is WAY easier to use. I like the ease of changing directions. I like not having to clutch. I like that the PTO stays engaged regardless of what directions I'm going and how fast. .

I'm wondering.. did your iseki ? disengage the pto? when you were in reverse?

I've seen 'lawnmowers' that kill the blades in reverse.

I've seen ground speed pto's that change direction in reverse... and I've seen full hyd pto's on hybred machines that are reversable.. but for regualr pto.. live or non live / indepentent.. I don't recall a model that 'looses' pto in reverse.. that would be darn inconvienient with a mower.. IMHO.

Am I reading your post wrong?

soundguy

/ types of transmissions #34  
I'm wondering.. did your iseki ? disengage the pto? when you were in reverse?

No. The PTO always spun the same direction, but the PTO stopped when the clutch was pushed. The pain with changing directions is that I'd have to clutch, wait for everything to come to a stop, shift to reverse, and then let out the clutch. Due to the momentum created by the spinning blades, there was no "delicate" work. I had to stay clear of corners for fear I wouldn't get the tractor stopped in time. I did grind the gears occasionally rather than wait for everything to come to a stop. I also got an overrunning clutch which made things a lot nicer, but I still had a few feet of travel everytime I enganged the clutch before the blades were up to speed.

The nice thing about the HST is that I can maneuver at very low speeds in and around obstacles with the mower going full speed. I have such nice looking corners now. :)

I do miss the gear tranny occasionally, but for what I do the HST works better most of the time.

/ types of transmissions #35  
AHHHH.. makes sense now.. you weren't using the correct equipment on your iseki/mnower combo for your situation. Since you had non live tranny pto, you REALLY REALLY needed an over running couple on the back of your pto.. that cost between 55-80$ depending on if you get a quick release or the pin on types. They let the mower continue spinning while your tractor pto stub stops.. thus you can stop.. shift.. backup, stop, go forward.. etc... all beacuse of a 1-way ratched int he ORC keeping the mower from backfeeding power thru the driveshaft into the trans/diffy. For tractors driving large flywheel loads that have trans/non live pto.. I consider the ORC as essential 'safety' equipment... not optional..

soundguy

No. The PTO always spun the same direction, but the PTO stopped when the clutch was pushed. The pain with changing directions is that I'd have to clutch, wait for everything to come to a stop, shift to reverse, and then let out the clutch. Due to the momentum created by the spinning blades, there was no "delicate" work. I had to stay clear of corners for fear I wouldn't get the tractor stopped in time. I did grind the gears occasionally rather than wait for everything to come to a stop. I also got an overrunning clutch which made things a lot nicer, but I still had a few feet of travel everytime I enganged the clutch before the blades were up to speed.

The nice thing about the HST is that I can maneuver at very low speeds in and around obstacles with the mower going full speed. I have such nice looking corners now. :)

I do miss the gear tranny occasionally, but for what I do the HST works better most of the time.

/ types of transmissions #36  
That's a crock of steaming used horse feed.

Plain old gear crashbox tranny is super reliable.. as all the antique tractors running around with them.

Put 70 years on a new hydro, and abuse the fire out of it, and almost never maintain it.. ( like an old gear antique tractor trans ).. and see where you are..

Ald gear trans will run decades with worn leaky seals.. I'd like to see a hydro run with it's seals worn for decades.. on dirty oil, and no filter, and 1.5" of sand and much in the bottom of the trans sump.....

soundguy

SoundGuy, quit pussyfooting around and tell us what you really think.

/ types of transmissions #37  
No. The PTO always spun the same direction, but the PTO stopped when the clutch was pushed. The pain with changing directions is that I'd have to clutch, wait for everything to come to a stop, shift to reverse, and then let out the clutch. Due to the momentum created by the spinning blades, there was no "delicate" work. I had to stay clear of corners for fear I wouldn't get the tractor stopped in time.
Most newer gear drive tractors have live or Independant PTO and internal overrunning clutch that solves all of these problems.
My tractor has sycronized shuttle, so I can forward/reverse with out coming to a stop, and Independant PTO. The PTO will run as long as the switch is turned on. Clutch in or out the PTO will run.
With the internal overrunng clutch, the momentum from the implements spin down without pushing the tractor.

/ types of transmissions #38  
SoundGuy, quit pussyfooting around and tell us what you really think.

Yeah I know.... I'm too reserved sometimes! ;)

soundguy

/ types of transmissions #39  
I think it really comes down to what a guy likes. According to data, all of the trannies in todays tractors are very reliable, especially if properly maintained. I am on my 2nd tractor now, and it is HST just like my first one. Personally, when I test drove tractors to buy my first one, the HST won my heart over instantly! Unlimited control over speed, no clutching, never have to touch the brakes, and for loader work, the ease of changing directions is just awesome. I worked my first tractor to the bone and never had a problem with the transmission. Hopefully my new one will give me the same great service.

/ types of transmissions #40  
Most newer gear drive tractors have live or Independant PTO and internal overrunning clutch that solves all of these problems.

Time marches on!:D

You can't ever go back much as you would like.:D