Ubifi Rural Internet

/ Ubifi Rural Internet #71  
After reading this thread I ordered Ubifi and received it today. So far it's excellent!

My township has a regional cable provider but when it was brought in 15+ years ago my street, and some others, were not wired due to lack of houses (mostly farms near me). It's been a struggle to get decent internet since we built our house 7 years ago. We've been using a Verizon hotspot with limited data. The Ubifi is more expensive but much faster and unlimited. There is a cell phone tower 1/2 mile away from my house,

I did a speed test and got:

Ubifi: 43.1 download, 10.6 upload
Verizon hotspot: 13.6, 6.70
Verizon iPhone: 12.4, 10.6

This is such an improvement! Thanks to TheMan419 and others contributing to this thread!

/ Ubifi Rural Internet #72  
Rob, that is ridiculously good speed. Congrats.

Just as a tidbit, as I was researching all this I came across a blurb that NASA's internet is 13,000 times better than the average home at 91 GIGAbits per second.

/ Ubifi Rural Internet #73  
My DSL via phone line was 1.5 Mb and would only run one ROKU unit at a time so I upgraded ($59 per month more-dont know what my former price per month is for phone and internet) and it works ok now.

Soon we will be getting fiber optic phone, internet and cable TV and the basic package will have 100 Mb service for internet and gigabit service will be available. Currently have Dish satellite for $160 per month (and it goes out with every rain) plus phone/internet on top. I will be getting the fiber optic line as soon as it is available. They have the poly conduit buried and exposed at house interval and are working their way down my road installing the termination boxes. Up on main highway they are pulling fiber optic cables in. So I expect to have my service by summer time. We are 20 miles from nearest town, so very appreciative of local phone company for investing in this system.

NOTE: this was announce by the phone company to be started 5 years ago but work was only started about 8 months ago.

/ Ubifi Rural Internet #74  
Who's LTE is used?

/ Ubifi Rural Internet
Who's LTE is used?

If you are talking about UbiFi it is AT&T. They are good about helping you determine if you have a tower close enough to work for you. When I have time (lol) I will be getting a directional antenna to improve performance. Should cost $100 and tremendously increase my speed. Or I may also need to remove a large bush that may be impeding the signal. If it turns out to be the bush then I guess I will have an excuse to get out the chain saw!

/ Ubifi Rural Internet #76  
If you are talking about UbiFi it is AT&T. They are good about helping you determine if you have a tower close enough to work for you. When I have time (lol) I will be getting a directional antenna to improve performance. Should cost $100 and tremendously increase my speed. Or I may also need to remove a large bush that may be impeding the signal. If it turns out to be the bush then I guess I will have an excuse to get out the chain saw!
Thanks, already have at&t mobley which is doing well at $20 a month.

/ Ubifi Rural Internet #78  
I've been following this thread because I've finally had it with Century Link DSL - it's painfully slow. The Ubifi sounds good, but I've also found OTR Mobile, that uses a Netgear Nighthawk MR1100, and is also on AT&T. Their monthly unlimited is $60. Anyone know anything about them?

My house is fairly long with computers on both ends, and I'm not sure if I'll be able to pick up the signal on each end. If I need a "boost", is it better to use an antenna or something to strengthen the incoming signal, or boost the wi-fi signal inside?
Thanks.

/ Ubifi Rural Internet #79  
WiFi signal issue is different from 4g signal issue. I have ubiquiti ap on top of my house for Wi-Fi, and it's good for about 500ft. I also have directional antenna for my 4g us celluar modem pointing at a mountain with cell towers

/ Ubifi Rural Internet #80  
You'd be better off getting high gain antennas and putting them on the roof. The Mofi already has the radio at the max power so a booster doesn't really gain for it like it does for a cell phone. Put one of these on a pole and connect it to the Mofi and you should see a significant performance increase.

Proxicast 4G/LTE Cross-Polarized (MIMO) 7-10 dBi High-Gain Fixed-Mount Panel Antenna Robot Check
This is what I have for my mofi, I put it on a 15 foot pole.
Robot Check