Ubifi Rural Internet

OP
T

TheMan419

Veteran Member
Tractor
New Holland Boomer 24
I went straight to AT&T and got a 5G router with 2 outdoor antennas. I'm getting 75x15 for speed now, which I can't really complain about. I do wish my up was faster though, now that I'm making a bunch of YouTube videos and have someone doing the editing for me, the up can be a real problem. I'm uploading 100s of GB of raw footage for the editor and it takes FOREVER. Our co-op has fiber but not to me yet. I can't wait until they do, I'm signing up for 1GB service the second it's available.
Can you advise what you are paying and wht the name of the plan is?

STx

Veteran Member
Tractor
New Holland TC40 DA, Deere 17D, Hyster SX50 forklift, Case D450, Kubota ZD1011-54, International Dump Truck, Kubota SVL-952S, Volovo EC250DL
Can you advise what you are paying and wht the name of the plan is?
It's the same as Ubifi now, $108/mo after tax. I actually get it from.a reseller, it's part of a corporate account. AT&T doesn't have anything available for unlimited data retail anymore. Things have changed a lot in the last couple of years, it's really tough to do cellular internet anymore without jumping through some major hoops. I've been cancelled a couple of times for using too much data, on an unlimited plan.

TractorTYMe

Platinum Member
Tractor
TYM T474 HST
Pump Guy - yes, I've looked at the signal booster. There are just too many negative aspects to the entire phone situation. #1 - I worked for the Government and any time my phone would ring it meant somebody was going to bitch. I have a long memory. #2 - never have had a land line out here - moved here in '82 - phone company estimate to run line to house and install phone - $32,000. Started with Motorola Bag phone - then analog cell phone - now digital cell phone.

Actually I've become very accustom to no phone - don't take it with me when I leave the house - try to remember to turn it on 2X weekly to see if any messages worth returning a call. Do most of my communicating via email. Otherwise - the phone is alway OFF. Unless I'm making an call.

Then - if I can get two bars I can usually get out with a phone call. Signal booster would boost that signal to what?? - five bars. Problem is when I get NO SIGNAL - boosting zero always equals zero. The signal booster has got to have something to work with - no matter how slight.

Then there is the most difficult situation to overcome - ME. I'm Norwegian - hard headed - stubborn - old - set in my ways. Nuff said - - uff da.
Ooosik, try being actually born in Norway...........extra dose of hard headedness :p

OP
T

TheMan419

Veteran Member
Tractor
New Holland Boomer 24
It's the same as Ubifi now, $108/mo after tax. I actually get it from.a reseller, it's part of a corporate account. AT&T doesn't have anything available for unlimited data retail anymore. Things have changed a lot in the last couple of years, it's really tough to do cellular internet anymore without jumping through some major hoops. I've been cancelled a couple of times for using too much data, on an unlimited plan.

That is why I keep sticking with ubifi. Knock on wood no problems with them yet. We watch all our TV via streaming now so I would expect our data useage each month is pretty large. At odd times we get slowed down, but that is tower congestion. We do not get slowed for the rest of the month. Just for a couple hours at random times. And the slow down is on the cell phone as well which is also AT&T just on a different account (through work).

CowboyRon

Platinum Member
Tractor
Mahindra 4025
I used Ubifi until Starlink arrived at our house this March. I was very happy with the UbiFi service in my area. I mounted an external antenna in the attic for the best performance.

I only had to contact customer service once (for a band locking question) and they were quite helpful. I would recommend them provided you have some kind of cell service in the area.

Of course Starlink is a whole different story. If that becomes an option for you, I would go that route for sure.
Lucky. I'm still waiting for my Starlink to come to Texas. Maybe you can start a Starlink thread.

NoTrespassing

Veteran Member
Tractor
Kubota 1999 L3710 HST FWA
Lucky. I'm still waiting for my Starlink to come to Texas. Maybe you can start a Starlink thread.

OP
T

TheMan419

Veteran Member
Tractor
New Holland Boomer 24
So a bit of a necro, but it is my own thread so....

Ubifi sent a new sim card and has a data cap now. The new sim card is a dissaster. Slower speeds long ping times and just not a good situation.

Now looking at 4gltewifi.com and unlimitedlteadvanced.com as possible replacements. They are on AT&T as is Ubifi so should be as simple as changing out the sim card.

CowboyRon

Platinum Member
Tractor
Mahindra 4025
So a bit of a necro, but it is my own thread so....

Ubifi sent a new sim card and has a data cap now. The new sim card is a dissaster. Slower speeds long ping times and just not a good situation.

Now looking at 4gltewifi.com and unlimitedlteadvanced.com as possible replacements. They are on AT&T as is Ubifi so should be as simple as changing out the sim card.
Let us know. I just got my second sim card today and it's very slow. I haven't heard about the data caps though.

OP
T

TheMan419

Veteran Member
Tractor
New Holland Boomer 24
Let us know. I just got my second sim card today and it's very slow. I haven't heard about the data caps though.
in the email about the new sim card it said the price was going up and there was a 300mb cap subject to deprioritization so not a hard cap.

My current probem is the service just keeps dropping.... soon as I am done with lunch here I am calling a couple other services and purchasing one of them.....

butlmd

Tractor
Kubota BX2350D
in the email about the new sim card it said the price was going up and there was a 300mb cap subject to deprioritization so not a hard cap.

My current probem is the service just keeps dropping.... soon as I am done with lunch here I am calling a couple other services and purchasing one of them.....
I took a look at other services when ubifi sent out the price increase notification. Turned out that T-Mobile has an unlimited plan that uses their rural 5G/4G network. It has decent range, didn't need an external antenna to get around 40-60 down, 10 or so up. Nice thing about the modem is that it has a battery built in so you can move it around to see what sort of signal strength is available. It costs $50 a month with auto pay.

bdhsfz6

Veteran Member
Tractor
Kubota MX5800 HST & L6060 HSTC Formerly L6060 HST B7100 HST, L2550, L3010 HST, L3430 HST

MossRoad

Old Timer
Tractor
Power Trac PT425 2001 Model Year
I took a look at other services when ubifi sent out the price increase notification. Turned out that T-Mobile has an unlimited plan that uses their rural 5G/4G network. It has decent range, didn't need an external antenna to get around 40-60 down, 10 or so up. Nice thing about the modem is that it has a battery built in so you can move it around to see what sort of signal strength is available. It costs $50 a month with auto pay.
My wife just got a flyer from T-Mobile on that very thing. We may look into it. We've had their cell service for years. They have GREAT customer service, but if you see a corn field, you lose service quickly. 🤣 We joke about that. They are getting better in more rural areas since we've had them. We travel to Oklahoma and Pennsylvania fairly often now, and we haven't been losing signal very often at all anymore.

DKCDKC

Platinum Member
Tractor
John Deere 3038E
I live in a hilly part of Virginia's Shenandoah Valley a full mile off the highway. I have wired phone and tried DSL for several years 15 or more years ago. Never got more than minimal service - a few mbps down. Problem was the connections. A long wire from the highway, underground, had five or six connections that had to be really tight to keep my speed up at all and the phone company would come out, after my screaming, about once a year to tighten things up. Finally switched around to cell connection and it was better, but not a lot better. Finally invested in outdoor antennas and a Mofi4500 and ramped up my speed to 12-15 mbps. Tried several companies but was eaten up by data limits or charges. Stumbled on an unlimited Verizon pre-paid plan in 2017 (they dropped it soon after but I was grandfathered) and stuck with it until last year. Last year Shentel began offering its fixed wireless Beam service and I signed on. $60 a month and 25 to 50 mbps. I doubt I'll get much better for a few years. But it's a heck of an improvement. The Beam folks have got antenna on a lot of high hills around here so most of the rural area can get the signal.

dgl24087

Veteran Member
Tractor
1975 John Deere 1530
I have the T-Mobile internet, it will support up to 15 devices, very easy to setup, fastest internet I've ever had.

dmccarty

Super Star Member
Tractor
JD 4700
Just wrote up the long tale of Internet Woe in the Starlink thread. We have been using UbiFi but the service all but stopped working last week.

We tried US Mobile, which said it would support our MoFi on their website which we confirmed with a phone call to a person. We bought the sim card which arrived the next day. We tried to enable the card and the website said the MoFi was not supported. A phone call confirmed the information. It was obvious that many UbiFi customers tried to sign up at US Mobile and they canceled support.

Our cell provider is Verizon and we were able to service with them. We had to change our old Unlimited plan to a new Unlimited plan, but supposedly, we will only pay for $10 a month for 150GB. We shall see. We were averaging 130GB with UbiFi.

Later,
Dan

OP
T

TheMan419

Veteran Member
Tractor
New Holland Boomer 24
Sadly not available at all addresses. We are in good range of a TMobile tower but unable to get that service or I would have it. Would love those speeds.

japody

Platinum Member
Tractor
Ford 4000 & 5000, New Holland TN65, Mahindrda 2516
Any updates on when or if Ubifi will improve. I can't find any news or get a response from them. My service still sucks and I can't find any alternatives that service my location.

ponytug

Elite Member
Tractor
Power Trac PT1445
Sadly not available at all addresses. We are in good range of a TMobile tower but unable to get that service or I would have it. Would love those speeds.
You might want to check out Calyx, if you have a T-Mobile tower nearby.

All the best,

Peter

OP
T

TheMan419

Veteran Member
Tractor
New Holland Boomer 24
Any updates on when or if Ubifi will improve. I can't find any news or get a response from them. My service still sucks and I can't find any alternatives that service my location.
I switched to unlimitedlteadvanced.com. They use AT&T towers just like ubifi. I am happy with their service.

duffer

Platinum Member
Tractor
Mahindra 2538
No hardwire internet or cable where I live. Had at&t "homebase" cellular internet for a couple of years. Price kept going up to $130/month, just for internet. (Cell phones are prepaid Verizon units, that we use 1xmonth).

Stopped in at Verizon to ask what they had, and they have a homebase unit (similar to at&t) but is 4x faster, and ½ the price. Works really well for us. I usually get 20-30mbps down and 6-7mbps up.

Trick is to restart it every couple of days, and lock in a channel that works best for you. Usually 1,6, or 11 on the 2.4ghz band. (several streaming apps won't work on the 5ghz band for some reason)