Under 5k tractor possible?

/ Under 5k tractor possible? #1  

Spek

I am looking for a used tractor to bush hog/disc/ect a small property we are moving to. I have under 5k to spend total for the tractor and implements...is this possible? I am in the South (Alabama), and figure I need over 20 hp, pto and dont care about the age of the tractor.

I have looked at the older ford (jubilee,9n) and some smaller kubotas (L2250),Joohn Deere 750, and a few others and not sure which would be best.

Any advice or what to look for would be helpfull. I have used tractors all my life but never owner or maintained them. I be out there using thesearch function, but would appriciate and ideas, tip or deals anyone sees out there.

Thanks

Last edited:
   / Under 5k tractor possible? #2  
I am looking for a used tractor to bush hog/disc/ect a small property we are moving to. I have under 5k to spend total for the tractor and implements...is this possible? I am in the South (Alabama), and figure I need over 20 hp, pto and dont care about the age of the tractor.

I have looked at the older ford (jubilee,9n) and some smaller kubotas (L2350,2550),Joohn Deere 750, and a few others and not sure which would be best.

Any advice or what to look for would be helpfull. I have used tractors all my life but never owner or maintained them. I be out there using thesearch function, but would appriciate and ideas, tip or deals anyone sees out there.

Thanks

If you don't need a front end loader, then you can find something that will fit your $5K budget. Look for a Ford 8N (late 40s,early 50s) rather than a 9N (late 30s, early 40s). There're pretty easy to find for $2-3K, parts are readily available and are simple machines. Get a used 4-ft hog ($200-300) and a 4-5 ft disc ($100-200) and you'll have budget to spare.

/ Under 5k tractor possible? #3  

I have looked at the older ford (jubilee,9n) and some smaller kubotas (L2250),Joohn Deere 750, and a few others and not sure which would be best.

Thanks
Here are the two things I would look for.. Diesel and independent PTO. I have a 67 Ford 4000 that is gas. Wish I could have found a diesel when I was looking, 10 years ago they didn't seem to be around.. Then again there was no such thing as Craigs list or Ebay. Remember a place to work on your tractor will be important because the older ones sometimes need a little TLC. If I had to do it again, I wouldn't change much.. I just don't think they make em like they did back then.

Wedge

/ Under 5k tractor possible? #4  
I have to agree with the first two replies ...
Also keep a watch for MF65 in gas or diesel. Very economical to own and operate. It is one great utility tractor, around 50 HP. It will handle a 6 foot rotary cutter and a good size disk... KennyV

/ Under 5k tractor possible? #5  
gonna be hard to get a good diesel with hog and disc for under 5000$. good ford dieseles like a 3000 are in the 5000$ range alone.

Ya might find something like an 861 diesel .. and that with a hog and disc should drop into the 3500-5000$ range easilly.

On the ford 3 digit models.. look for one with a middle digit of 6... ie.. 660/661 860/861 this will be 2 stge clutch and live pto.

first digit of 5-6-7 is 134ci gas or 144ci diesel engine , first digit of 8 or 9 is a 172 ci gas or diesel... not that lp units are available too. first digit of 5 is an offset.. and 7 / 9 is a rowcrop, usually narrow front dual tires.. though single tire front.. and wide fronts are possible.. last digit of 0 is a 55-57 machine, and last digit of 1 os a 58-62 machine. 63-64 4 cyl 000 models can be good as well with the 5 spd 2 stage clutch. etc.

figure 33 / 45 hp between the 134 / 172 engines..

the smaller ones like a 660 and a mower and disc can likely be had in the 3-4K$ pacakge deal range.

soundguy

/ Under 5k tractor possible? #6  
I just bought a tractor and I probably looked for 2 months prior. Honestly I went to craigslist.org and crazedlist.org and it seemed like 2wd tractors without loaders were very reasonable. 10~ year old john Deere's with no loader or 4wd were around $7-8k there were a lot of kubota and greymarkets 20-25 hp with 2wd and no FEL for less than $4k

I personally think if you can afford bigger with the FEL you will be happier, but at the same time. if you spend more money then you should have that won't help worth a **** in the happiness department.

Good luck. btw if you never used crazedlist.org it really is the best thing since craigslist.

/ Under 5k tractor possible? #7  
I just bought a tractor and I probably looked for 2 months prior. Honestly I went to craigslist.org and crazedlist.org and it seemed like 2wd tractors without loaders were very reasonable. 10~ year old john Deere's with no loader or 4wd were around $7-8k there were a lot of kubota and greymarkets 20-25 hp with 2wd and no FEL for less than $4k

I personally think if you can afford bigger with the FEL you will be happier, but at the same time. if you spend more money then you should have that won't help worth a **** in the happiness department.

Good luck. btw if you never used crazedlist.org it really is the best thing since craigslist.

Searchtempest.com will also surch multiple Craigs lists and some other sites and will work on any browser.

/ Under 5k tractor possible? #8  
Be patient I think the $5K is a reasonable figure. I think you should be able to get a ford thousand series or a MF 135 w/hog for that if you can wait and watch the Craigs's list and the local Nickel ads and check out a couple of local auctions. If you can get by till late fall or winter is a good time to buy. bjr

/ Under 5k tractor possible? #9  
Spek, check the Atlanta craigslist. In a 3 week period you will generally be able to find what you want. Have not looked in person but as of late there have been quite a few nice looking 8n fords for under $3000. There was one one owner 50 something that really looked nice for I think $3500.

/ Under 5k tractor possible? #10  
Just looked on our local Craigslist and found a '59 MF50 w/6' mower for $3700, a MF135 gas (no mower) for $4000, a decent looking 3000 Ford (3-cyl) for $3900, an Allis Chalmers D15 w/ several implements for $3000, and a nice looking IH 454 (that I'm about to go take a closer look at) for $4000. Not EVERY tractor that SHOULD sell in this price range will be priced reasonable, but look long enough and you'll find all sorts of bargains.