Under 5k tractor possible?

/ Under 5k tractor possible? #11  
Put a lot of hours on an 8N and they are hard to beat. They will handle a 5' bush hog all day long and a 6' disc. Parts are easy and reasonably cheap and they are quite easy to work on. My only advice would be to shy away from one with a loader, the steering box can't handle anything more than a light manure bucket.

/ Under 5k tractor possible? #12  
If you are willing to stay away from 4wd and a loader, I think you can do it. All of the tractors mentioned are good choices, and I see decent looking Case, Allis Chalmers, and Ford units locally that would meet your needs.
Will

/ Under 5k tractor possible? #13  
Alabama used to have several Grey Market tractor dealers. You could get a 4 x4 diesel with low hours in the 20+ hp range for the price you are wanting. I know of a 26hp 4x4 here locally with less than a 1000 hrs. for $4500.

/ Under 5k tractor possible?
wow, thanks for all the info and replies. Checked out the crazedlist.org. Time saver there.

Saw several possibles tonight within 200 miles. Trying to narrow these down to the ones that "look" like they might be i good shape. I would prefer diesel, but gas is not a deal breaker if it was in the price range with implements and appeared solid.

/ Under 5k tractor possible?
Alabama used to have several Grey Market tractor dealers. You could get a 4 x4 diesel with low hours in the 20+ hp range for the price you are wanting. I know of a 26hp 4x4 here locally with less than a 1000 hrs. for $4500.

Not sure what the Grey Market tractors are or where to locate a dealer. Are these "chinese" made tractors? Ill google it and see if I can find out more.

/ Under 5k tractor possible? #16  
Not sure what the Grey Market tractors are or where to locate a dealer. Are these "chinese" made tractors? Ill google it and see if I can find out more.

Spek, Grey Market tractors are models that were not made for the US market and have been shipped over to the states used. Many were used for rice production in Japan. There is a network of dealers that ship container loads of them to the states and recondition them for sale. The biggest problem is finding parts. As an example grey market Kubota's are not supported by Kubota or its dealers here in the states.

MarkV

/ Under 5k tractor possible? #17  
G'day Spek as Mark said grey imports can be very hard to find parts for i know from experience over here that some of the parts are impossible to locate even though they are name brand tractors dealers can't supply parts and the guy's that import them only want to sell them most don't seem to be too interested when you break down. If you are happy with 2wd and a tractor with a bit of personality go for an old one:). Good luck with the hunt

Jon

/ Under 5k tractor possible? #18  
I agree with all the replies. You should be able to get something that will work out for you. I am not sure though about not having FEL. I couldn't live without one, but many do. I had an old 8N and put a lot of time on it. Easy to fix and repair. My only problem was I got tired of no power steering. The only other complaint was at least with the one I had, the bucket was not as wide as the wheel set so it made snow removal a little more time consuming.

/ Under 5k tractor possible? #19  

Typical grey market tractors: Yanmar, Iseki, Satoh. See this website for more info

Gray market tractor

/ Under 5k tractor possible? #20  
My Yanmar 2210BD is one year old today, well really closer probably to 30 but I have had it a year today. Point I wish to make is that it is a UTDA tractor that came from Fredricks in Hartselle, Alabama. I paid a bit more than what you are looking to spend but it came with a warranty and these are good people to deal with. Cruise the Yanmar forum and do a search on anything you can think of if you find yourself leaning that way. There is NOTHING new in my tractor class that I woud trade dead even for. I have sheetmetal, not a bunch of plastic. Simple electrics, simple mechanics. If it goes down I can fix it, will not have to load it up and take it somewhere for an electrical problem. Very much like an old 8n. I'll take an older tractor over new anytime.