Chipper Under powered PTO Chipper

/ Under powered PTO Chipper #1  

robstaples

Gold Member
Tractor
kubota / L39 TLB, BX2680
I was wondering if anyone could comment on having a PTO chipper with a recommended pto hp of 35-60 powered with 30hp. Or under powered from recommended. The unit has an intelligent feed system that supposedly slows/stops the feed to let the cutter catch up. My speculation is that the max diameter would only be sustainable with max input power(60 and maybe not even then) and the whole chipping process would be slower with less hp. But I'd like the throat capability of a bigger unit because I suspect it handles smaller stuff better.
I would guess the same result from a under performing tractor powering a chipper.

I have a 4" self powered chipper and when given "hard" wood, I have to stop the feed and let it catch up. I'm ready to move up from self feed. But not a new larger tractor.
thanks
rob

/ Under powered PTO Chipper #2  
The feed will slow down and stop if you loose RPM so it will adjust it self nicely, there are no reason for it to be slower as long as you don't feed to much material in to it.

/ Under powered PTO Chipper #3  
My dealer recommended the next size up and I wish I'd listened to him. We have a Wallenstein BX42S. The base of saplings is often just slightly too large to fit and has to be cut off. Power would not be a factor. I'm still happy with the purchase.

image-L.jpg

/ Under powered PTO Chipper #4  
A nice factor with the Woodmaxx hydraulic feed chipper is the adjustable flow valve that allows you to slowwww the feed. I am real happy with my machine.