Underground electric/drainage question

/ Underground electric/drainage question #51  
@LD1 - Thank you for responding to this prior to me.... I would have not said it better... or nicer... You sir are appreciated...
This whole thread is just mind boggling.

Why everyone thinks he is asking for electrical advise is beyond me.

/ Underground electric/drainage question #52  
This whole thread is just mind boggling.

Why everyone thinks he is asking for electrical advise is beyond me.
Everyone? Well, it does seam like electric got more attention than drainage, but...

I thought post #15 and a few others were helpful concerning drainage tile placement.

/ Underground electric/drainage question #53  
Perhaps the time it took you to type the reply would have been better spent reading the posts you chose not to read. He never mentioned metal conduit. In fact he said he already has 4" pvc. You would also know that he is not concerned with moisture in the conduit so your silly comment about blowing air thru it has no merit.

He is simply trying to dry a wet area of ground that ALSO happens to be having electric service ran thru it. And wondering the feasibility of using the same trench to kill two birds with one stone....and if feasible....the ideal location within the trench for said drainage tile.

If you didn't want to be mean....you would have read the thread and understood what the op was asking....rather than make snide and irrelevant comments.
This one really has you worked up doesn't it. :sneaky:

/ Underground electric/drainage question #54  
What the OP has proposed will work,
my preference would have been to place the drain tile first in ditch so it was the lowest.
Of course that also requires a deeper ditch to keep the 36" of cover over the conduit,
it would mean an almost 48" ditch to do the job.
Four foot trenchers are harder to find then three footers, cost more and take more time to ditch.

/ Underground electric/drainage question #55  
I thought the national code required metal conduit, but in any case the conduit should be sitting on and covered with #2 crushed rock and then cloth and hazard tape and then the top soil so that anyone digging will hit the rock and see the tape before they hit a live wire. The rock will act as a French drain and keep water out of the conduit.
Not true schedule 40 or80 grey plastic pipe from my experience ..I am a retired electric lineman whatever you do I am not a big fan of stacking one utility on top of another just in case you have some type of fault.

Last edited:
   / Underground electric/drainage question #56  
This is hilarious. Out of all these answers only about two or three people actually understood the question. Poor OP.
Walk us threw the process then Oh great one. :rolleyes:

/ Underground electric/drainage question
To answer Chuckacon's questions. The 36 inch depth for the PVC for the electric is what the power company requires. From the transformer to the meter panel (if that is correct terminology) is 50 feet. From there it splits (so I only have one meter and base rate of $40 a month instead of two meters and $80 a month). The power company thought that was the way to go. From the split to the main building to the west is 188 feet, to the other ag building to the east is also 188 feet.
They require grey Schedule 40 of 3 inch from the transformer to the meter. I did not really see a specification from the meter to the buildings on PVC. Any reason white could not be substituted as the power company says their responsibility as I understand it ends at the meter? Thereafter it is on me for repair, maintenance etc. Of course the caution tape would be placed over all the PVC.

I really was only asking initially about water drainage for the general area, not really for the electric line itself. Some of the responses brought up this new question of mine. If appropriate I could list it separately under a new heading.

/ Underground electric/drainage question #58  
What did the electric company say about your idea? It sounds like you want to run pipe above the cable that they are responsible for, so they should have some input.

/ Underground electric/drainage question
I have not yet had a chance to meet with them.

/ Underground electric/drainage question #60  
To answer Chuckacon's questions. The 36 inch depth for the PVC for the electric is what the power company requires. From the transformer to the meter panel (if that is correct terminology) is 50 feet. From there it splits (so I only have one meter and base rate of $40 a month instead of two meters and $80 a month). The power company thought that was the way to go. From the split to the main building to the west is 188 feet, to the other ag building to the east is also 188 feet.
They require grey Schedule 40 of 3 inch from the transformer to the meter. I did not really see a specification from the meter to the buildings on PVC. Any reason white could not be substituted as the power company says their responsibility as I understand it ends at the meter? Thereafter it is on me for repair, maintenance etc. Of course the caution tape would be placed over all the PVC.

I really was only asking initially about water drainage for the general area, not really for the electric line itself. Some of the responses brought up this new question of mine. If appropriate I could list it separately under a new heading.

Surely you don't mean substituting white PVC instead of gray PVC to install electric in on your side of the meter.