Understanding Curb Weight, GVWR, Towing and CDL requirements

/ Understanding Curb Weight, GVWR, Towing and CDL requirements
Could vary by state. But that is not a federal requirement. Federal allows 36k
Thanks. I didn't read the federal requirements that way. I'll study up on the TN requirements...

/ Understanding Curb Weight, GVWR, Towing and CDL requirements
1. Yes or 15,999lbs, but theres few trucks in that class that weight 10,000lbs empty. If we are talking something like an F-650 dump truck, expect to be about 13,000-15,000 empty.
2. Based on the assumption that it’s 10,000lbs empty, yes. I would add my Ram 5500 crew cab weighs 11,000lbs so I kind of doubt you’ll be 10,000lbs. My IH7500 truck weighs ~14,000lbs with no bed on it empty.
3. That’s exactly what you should do.
Good info. Thank you. Looks like I should start calculating how I'm going to work a job and get my CDL at the same time...

/ Understanding Curb Weight, GVWR, Towing and CDL requirements #13  
10k is on the light side for what the truck will weigh. My gas Topkick weighed 12,000 and my diesel Ford weighs 15k. My suggestion would be to get a 2500 truck or a single rear wheel ton with a 14k trailer that could haul a mini excavator or skid steer without a CDL or get a CDL and whatever dump truck you want.

/ Understanding Curb Weight, GVWR, Towing and CDL requirements #14  
Good info. Thank you. Looks like I should start calculating how I'm going to work a job and get my CDL at the same time...
tn cdl.JPG

/ Understanding Curb Weight, GVWR, Towing and CDL requirements #15  
You might be better off with a 2500HD with the heaviest machine you can put on a trailer and keep your combo under 26K.
Then go get an older 25,999 dump truck for hauling. The way the rules & regs are with CDL’s it’s very tough to combine a truck that can haul a lot with a truck that can tow a lot.

I got my CDL 30+ years ago and it was one of the best things I did

/ Understanding Curb Weight, GVWR, Towing and CDL requirements #17  
The FEDs don’t issue drivers licenses.
No but they set the minimum requirements for CDL classes....most states follow their guidelines.

Tennessee happens to follow the federal guidelines. Meaning you have a truck under 26k.....it can ALSO pull a trailer UNDER 10k with NO CDL. Meaning you can have a combination of 36k and NO CDL.

Either read the classification, or follow the flow chart. Its black and white

/ Understanding Curb Weight, GVWR, Towing and CDL requirements #18  
Follow the flow chart... 26k truck and a 10k or less trailer

Combination....YES
Is trailer 10,001 or more....NO
IS the single vehicle 26,001 or more....NO
Is the vehicle designed to carry more than 16 people....NO
IS it a school bus.....NO
Does it have haz-mat placard.....NO

YOU DONT NEED A CDL

/ Understanding Curb Weight, GVWR, Towing and CDL requirements #19  
The weight of the truck or the trailer means very little. It is the Gross Combined Vehicle Weight that the DOT looks at when inspecting the truck.

My 2007 GMC is rated for 11,400 gross weight. My trailer is de-rated to 14,500 pounds. Thus the GCVW is 25,900 pounds. The empty weight is approximately 15,000. Thus pay load is 11,001 pounds. Any combination over 26,001 will require a CDL according to the Fed guidelines. Any actual weight over 26,001 pounds may result in a fine.

In addition the weight on each axle must been under the rating on the spec sheet.

For example my trailer has 7000 pound axles. If the load of 8000 pounds is placed on the trailer to far to the rear and the trailer axles weigh more then 14,000 pounds I would be overweight and subject to a fine. If the load is placed to far forward the rear axle of the truck could be overloaded.

You also need to check the weight capacity of the tires and not overload them either.

/ Understanding Curb Weight, GVWR, Towing and CDL requirements #20  
Follow the flow chart... 26k truck and a 10k or less trailer

Combination....YES
Is trailer 10,001 or more....NO
IS the single vehicle 26,001 or more....NO
Is the vehicle designed to carry more than 16 people....NO
IS it a school bus.....NO
Does it have haz-mat placard.....NO

YOU DONT NEED A CDL

Even if that’s true it doesn’t help you a lot. You would be limited to probably a 26 class excavator or at the very top end a 35 class excavator. Maybe consider aluminum ramps and load the excavator in the dump truck. I could load a 57 on mine and still be under payload.
IMG_1420.JPG