Comparison Understanding the Sub-Compact tractor choices.

/ Understanding the Sub-Compact tractor choices. #1  

AxleHub

Elite Member
Tractor
Massey scut 2015 GC1715
Possibly others like me are a little overwhelmed at the number of product choices available in the SubCompact tractor market. And even after purchase - surprises and new learning keep popping up.

But lets start with a couple of point before even mention brands and models.

A. The SubCompact market of tractors is an important category for many and one big reason is manueverability. If sure-footedness on sidehills and slopes and lawns are part of an intended need . . a smaller sized Compact tractor is not the same as most models of subcompacts. Same is true if tighter turning circles in tighter spaces is a need.

B. Power is often a topic . . yet a 25+ hp diesel in a Compact tractor and a 25+ hp in a SubCompact of the same brand should have very similar "power" . . so "capacity" is probably a far better issue as well as how much and how often can a SubCompact be used weekly or monthly compared to a small Compact tractor for any given buyer or owner.

C. Often comments are made about "buying bigger than you think you need". But isn't that logically more a "rush to purchase" or a "weak research effort" than it is an actual understanding of "the needs" ?

D. Lastly, I believe SubCompact prospects and buyers need to factor in some issues that many threads don't seem to mention. Some examples are:

1. Finding implements and attachments engineered and built for SubCompacts rather than every choice being the general market. As an example . . a full set of forks that weighs 100 pounds and a general market set that weighs 225 pounds is a 125 pounds payload difference for a SubCompact . . that's a lot of difference on my tractor . . yet many don't even know products exist like that.

2. Transporting a SubCompact requires less vehicle and less trailer.

3. Space to store is less . . yet PROPERLY chosen, SubCompacts can comfortably accommodate small bodies or 6'6" 350 pounders alike.

chime in on these points above or as I start mentioning some brands and models. :)

/ Understanding the Sub-Compact tractor choices.
Some of the most familiar engines used in U.S SubCompacts are:

Kubota . . . Yanmar . . . Iseki . . . TYM . . . ??

Some oddities in the market are engine size for TLB product.

Massey offers a 22.5 and 25 hp TLB choices while Kubota has only a 23 hp TLB. And Deere has a 23 hp TLB in the 1025R yet I'm not awhere of a TLB choice in the 1023r or a larger engine choice in a SubCompact.

Yanmar makes a 21 hp TLB . . and Mahindra seems to offer TLB models in a couple engine sizes of SubCompact. Does LS or New Holland even have a true SubCompact choice? I'm not familiar with Kioti or Branson. TYM has 1 size engine in SubCompact category.

Threads often refer to kubota and Deere SubCompacts yet too often Kioti and LS are mentioned but not Massey . . considering Massey offers 2 tlb sizes plus 2 non-tlb choices . . All with long warranties and name recognition . . I have to wonder why Massey isn't mentioned more while Mahindra, Kioti, and LS are mentioned yet are not cheaper than Massey products (at least not in my past searches).

Last edited:
   / Understanding the Sub-Compact tractor choices. #3  
//C. Often comments are made about "buying bigger than you think you need". But isn't that logically more a "rush to purchase" or a "weak research effort" than it is an actual understanding of "the needs" ?//
Glad I didn't listen to that advice or I'd have a tractor that wouldn't fit down most of our trails. bought an L3200, I could easily get by with something smaller but the price difference wasn't that great.

Recently a few threads mentioned that having a single hydro pump or having 2 pumps was not an issue one way or the other. But I have to wonder at the logic of such an opinion.

We all know that in any activity of a tractor . . Steering is involved . . and that means hydro flow for the power steering and maneuverability. We also know that in SubCompact units that have 2 pumps, 1 is dedicated to the power steering. I would think knowing that at all times the power steering is getting a full flow and not having to share it . . Is a real benefit.

Similarly, it would seem engineers could better plan for hydro needs without stalling out . . When a second pump services all other hydro power draw needs.

And I for one enjoy not having to have my unit at its highest rpms when I'm adjusting my bucket or forks or quick attaching or detaching at full decible range or when in a barn or garage. In addition . . I like to adjust my rpm to my needs . . not mandated by a requirement. I mow with my mmm mulcher at 2750 rpm because it is the sweet spot for smoothness and sound level and cutting performance. 3200 would be louder and gain me little and 2500 rpm would also be louder and non-beneficial.

Fel lifting a light load at 2200 rpm is quick and quiet and maximum lifting is a higher rpm choice "when I need it and not other wise". Meanwhile, my steering at any rpm speed above idle is smooth and not hindered. And when I run my boom sprayer unit . . 2000 rpm or 2200 again, meana my tractir is more fuel efficient and quiet and requires less cylinder rotations to get the job done well.

I don't know how many SubCompacts don't have 2 hydro pumps . . but I do recognize that "it makes no difference" is not true for my activities.

/ Understanding the Sub-Compact tractor choices. #5  
I'm confused
Is this about SCUTs or Sub-compacts TLBs?
:confused:

I'm confused
Is this about SCUTs or Sub-compacts TLBs?
:confused:

Well in one post it was about scut tlb units and in another post it was about scuts with 1 or 2 hydro pumps.

In both of those posts its about scuts (SubCompact tractors).

TLBs (tractor-loader-backhoe) units are typically the most expensive options for each vrand of scut (sub compact tractor). Yet some brands don't offer their biggest/best engines for their tlb choices while other brands more than one tlb choice in a scut.

/ Understanding the Sub-Compact tractor choices. #7  
I'm confused Is this about SCUTs or Sub-compacts TLBs? :confused:

Good question. I got the Kubota BX25 because it was a TLB subcompact which had a seriously heavy duty sub frame to it. I may have been wrong about it, but it seemed to me at the time that none of the other competing tractors in 1998 had a strong enough sub frame that was dedicated for having a backhoe attachment (the frame - mounted BH, not the three point hitch munted BH). And the backhoe was very important to me, as I was going to be using it a lot.

/ Understanding the Sub-Compact tractor choices. #8  
Are you saying the gc series has 2 hydro pumps ?.......if so , I THINK you are mistaken !

Are you saying the gc series has 2 hydro pumps ?.......if so , I THINK you are mistaken !

The Massey GC17xx series has a total flow rating for the tractor as follows:

GC1705 and GC1710 = 6.3 gpm with power steering of 2 gpm and all else being 4.3 gpn

GC1715 and GC1720 = 6.8 gpm with power steering of 2 gpm and all else being 4.8 gpm

/ Understanding the Sub-Compact tractor choices. #10  
Yes ,but they share a "SINGLE" gear driven pump !!!