Unhappy new member

/ Unhappy new member #41  
Sounds as though the OP bought from a big box store ... where little to no or bad advice is the norm. Looked around some back in 2007 when we got this place (big box stores mostly) and finally wound up at the Deere dealer in town looking at the least expensive, i.e. big box store models. One of the first questions the salesman (and now the GM) asked was, "What do you want do with it?" When I mentioned mowing 2+ acres of grass including some hills and keeping 300' of driveway clear of snow he shook his head. He pointed me towards the X series and took the time to point out the differences in the frames, motors and hydro units. Wound up with an X320, 44" snowblower, and a 10P trailer. Gulped on the price compared to the box store JD stuff but 7+ years and 700+ hours later I'm still a happy customer ... still on the original drive belt even. I have no doubt if I bought strictly on price I'd be deeply disappointed.

Last edited:
   / Unhappy new member #42  
You go into a big box store and there sit several JD's and several other brands with all similar size models being priced within a few hundred dollars of one another. And all under $3K a piece. Common sense says there isn't a tremendous difference in these tractors. If there were, there would be a greater disparity in price. No one has a magic factory that can produce a tremendously better product for less. To think just because it's JD, it's got to be a whole lot better even if priced nearly the same...... well just doesn't make for good common sense. It's perfectly OK to buy the BBS cheapies. They serve many folks quite well as long as used within their limitations. But, if you have unreasonable expectations, you'll still get reasonable results - the tractor will fail. You do get what you pay for. And not doing your homework first will almost always cost ya.

/ Unhappy new member #43  
You go into a big box store and there sit several JD's and several other brands with all similar size models being priced within a few hundred dollars of one another. And all under $3K a piece. Common sense says there isn't a tremendous difference in these tractors. If there were, there would be a greater disparity in price. No one has a magic factory that can produce a tremendously better product for less. To think just because it's JD, it's got to be a whole lot better even if priced nearly the same...... well just doesn't make for good common sense. It's perfectly OK to buy the BBS cheapies. They serve many folks quite well as long as used within their limitations. But, if you have unreasonable expectations, you'll still get reasonable results - the tractor will fail. You do get what you pay for. And not doing your homework first will almost always cost ya.

Just that green usually wins. And looks so much better mowing your lawn. :D