Unique Place Names

/ Unique Place Names #13  
I live in Youth, GA which is about a mile south of Split Silk, which is next to Between

/ Unique Place Names #14  
In Washington we have Sequim (pronounced "Skwim"), Puyallup, Enumclaw, Pe El, Humptulips, Skamokawa, Queets, Cle Elum, Omak and Tonasket. I've been to the intersection of Dwight Way and Wong Way.

In the same neighborhood are the Duckabush and Hamma Hamma rivers north and west is LaPush, south of there is Forks. West of Olympia is Mud Bay across the state is Opportunity. One of my favorite rivers is the Skookumchuck.

Smilinjak

/ Unique Place Names #15  
Nearby town has Head Street. It runs through a subdivision called Hooker's Addition. Most people wouldn't know the name of the subdivision but as a Land Surveyor I've laid my eyes on the plat before.

/ Unique Place Names #16  
I'm just down the road from Cool, Ca.

Being in the California Gold Country(and wine country), I get a chuckle out of some of the names of the old gold mines. Have to get the old maps out tonigh; non of the new maps show them any more.

/ Unique Place Names #17  
Not all that "unique," but there's a place in southwest Missouri named Halfway, MO ... because it's halfway between Buffalo and Boliver. That's always tickled me since I first drove through there.

/ Unique Place Names #18  
There is a "place" in NC, called the Devil's Tramping Ground which is nothing more than a hard packed, sorta round, spot of bare earth in the middle of no where. :laughing::laughing::laughing: The legend is that the earth is bare and does not grow anything because the devil comes out at night and dances in that spot. :shocked::shocked::shocked::D:D:D

One of the NC breweries has a beer named after the spot and that beer has a bit of a kick. :thumbsup::licking::D:D:D:drink:

Later,
Dan

/ Unique Place Names #19  

I'm probably about an hour from there. But never been there. I like the exit sign on I-26 for North and St. Mathews that basically just says "North St. Matthews". If you didn't know those were two different towns you might think there was a town called North St. Matthews. I've always thought it might be cool to be from there and go to other states and confuse people by telling them you were from "North, South Carolina".

And to make it even stranger the town of North is located in the southern half of the state.

/ Unique Place Names #20  
And to make it even stranger the town of North is located in the southern half of the state.

But North is north of Norway and Denmark.:)

Screenshot 2017-08-30 at 4.05.39 PM.png

Steve

Last edited: