Universal 445 differential leak

/ Universal 445 differential leak #1  

Johnny g

Silver Member
Tractor
Universal 445
I have a Universal 445 that started dripping from the bottom of the diff. out a hole on left side of bottom surface. hole has what looks like a cotter pin hanging out, same thing on right side but not leaking. fluid is real milky color. dip stick on top shows way above full. I have drained diff. & not sure where to put in fresh fluid. the only place I see is the trans. wondering if they drain & fill together. Thanks for any help. (New member, first post)

/ Universal 445 differential leak #2  
I also have the same tractor. I noticed mine dripping one day but it quit. Don't know exactly what the purpose of that cotter pin or whatever is. That is probably transmission/hydraulic fluid you see dripping. Transmission and hydraulic system use the same fluid. Specification for a Long 510 which also was made by Universal is Exxon Torque Fluid 56 or Equivalent. Last I purchased I got at Tractor Supply.

/ Universal 445 differential leak
Thanks for your input, I drained about 4 gallons milky fluid & replaced with new trans/hyd. fluid & worked the hyds. up & down a few times , got off & looked & it was dripping again, still white, (probably old fluid that was in the cylinders) but it didnt last long & seems to be OK now.

/ Universal 445 differential leak #4  
I moved your thread to the "all other brands" forum. You will probably get more responses here. Welcome to TBN! :thumbsup:

/ Universal 445 differential leak #5  
Here is pic of underneath the diff:

Does it drip through the holes, ahead of the bolts?
If so, that's a draining hole. Halfshaft seal went, and there is a part which collects oil before it come to the braking drum.
Replace it ASAP, before braking belts will be soaked with oil.

thankyou for your input, sounds reasonable to me, tractor is tucked away till the snow goes away & it gets a lot warmer, will deal with it then.

/ Universal 445 differential leak #7  
If you'll need a help, just ask.

I probably will, I am fairly good at automotive repairs ( mostly cars/trucks/small engines) when it comes to this I must admit I dont know what the half shaft is or how deep I would have to go to find it. thanks.