Tires Unloading BX tires?

/ Unloading BX tires? #1  

JoeFL

Tractor
BX23
I have a BX23 with turf tires. I have had it about 2-3 years. The dealer was nice to load the rear tires with water. In cetral Florida, it doesn't get too cold so water is OK. After reading in the manual that if you have the backhoe on, the rear tires shouldn't be loaded, I drained the water about a year ago. Also, since it was going to used mostly for mowing the grass, I thought it would be better to have it lighter so it wouldn't compact the soil as much especialy near the septic system.

So, I know I didn't get all the water out. Will rust be an issue? Should I remove the tires from the rims and dry things out? Anyone have a good way to break the bead and remove the tires by hand?

Comments, suggestions,

Thanks,
Joe

/ Unloading BX tires? #2  
I have a BX23 with turf tires. I have had it about 2-3 years. The dealer was nice to load the rear tires with water. In cetral Florida, it doesn't get too cold so water is OK. After reading in the manual that if you have the backhoe on, the rear tires shouldn't be loaded, I drained the water about a year ago. Also, since it was going to used mostly for mowing the grass, I thought it would be better to have it lighter so it wouldn't compact the soil as much especialy near the septic system.

So, I know I didn't get all the water out. Will rust be an issue? Should I remove the tires from the rims and dry things out? Anyone have a good way to break the bead and remove the tires by hand?

Comments, suggestions,

Thanks,
Joe

Hard to know, although rusting requires oxygen and at SOME point the partial pressure of the available oxygen would drop so low that further rusting would be inhibited.

I wouldn't mess with it;
a) Manual methods of bead breaking are hazardous
b) There is probably not a problem worth solving
c) I'm sure I could find a problem more worthy of my time and attention (-:

IOW, the oxygen in the air that is trapped in there gets used up - fergettit.

/ Unloading BX tires? #3  
To be honest with you- I really don't think you need to unload the tires. It will not hurt the septic feild- I mow over mine regularly with my BX loaded tires. The weight difference with loaded tires and BH on really doesnt hurt anything. I used my BH last year and year before with loaded tires and mine was filled with rimgaurd so its heavier then water. It's one of those few things the BX manuals says and doesnt make sense. I asked about it before and nobody seemed to have a good clear answer. I prefer mine to be loaded when doing BH work- it lowers my COG and feels more stable.

/ Unloading BX tires? #4  
Hard to know, although rusting requires oxygen and at SOME point the partial pressure of the available oxygen would drop so low that further rusting would be inhibited.

I wouldn't mess with it;
a) Manual methods of bead breaking are hazardous
b) There is probably not a problem worth solving
c) I'm sure I could find a problem more worthy of my time and attention (-:

IOW, the oxygen in the air that is trapped in there gets used up - fergettit.

put the hoe on
losen lug bolt
lift the tire off ground
remove tire
put it on ground behind tractor
lay a 2x4 across it and put bucket tooth on 2x4 and push down
bead broke

flip tire over and repeat.

reseating is way harder don't ask me how I know I still havent been able to do it reliably.

Warning don't put a jack stand under transaxel it is thin and I saw one at dealer getting fix because some one sis it and it poked a hole in aluminum

put it on axel after tire is out of the way.

tom

/ Unloading BX tires? #5  
I've used a large rachet strap around the center of the tire to re-seat..have to be careful releasing it though. Let the air out after the bead is set.

/ Unloading BX tires? #6  
yup- thats exactly how I did mine. rachet strap to reseat BX tire.

/ Unloading BX tires?
Yes, it is probably much to do about nothing. I have used the BH to undo some beads on ATV tires. I have read about using starter fluid to seat a bead. The ratchet strap is probably less exciting. When I finish building my new 28X24 workshop, I will tackle the tire issue. I filled up my 3 car garage so it is time to build again. I wish a had my BX23 when I built the garage.
Thanks fo the input,
Joe

/ Unloading BX tires? #8  
To be honest with you- I really don't think you need to unload the tires. It will not hurt the septic feild- I mow over mine regularly with my BX loaded tires. The weight difference with loaded tires and BH on really doesnt hurt anything. I used my BH last year and year before with loaded tires and mine was filled with rimgaurd so its heavier then water. It's one of those few things the BX manuals says and doesnt make sense. I asked about it before and nobody seemed to have a good clear answer. I prefer mine to be loaded when doing BH work- it lowers my COG and feels more stable.

Mine are loaded, but I do not have a backhoe. I BELIEVE the reason they would prefer them unloaded with the backhoe on is the tire can deflect much more unloaded than loaded, therefore in times of additional weight such as with a backhoe, it is much easier on the drive train when you hit bumps and potholes if there is only air and no water.

Personally, I agree that if I had them filled I would not un-fill them just because of a backhoe. However, I would travel easier with the tractor to minimize the impact of bumps and potholes.