Unnecessary MMM greasing

/ Unnecessary MMM greasing #21  
On the plus side, the bending and twisting to grease things is probably a good isometric exercise that would cost you plenty if you had to exercise at a gym. I often do things the hard way just for the benefit of the exercise. So, keep the wheels, spindles and yourself greased at the same time. It's win-win. (y)

/ Unnecessary MMM greasing #22  
I don't count the hours between greasing. I mow around 2 and then some acres total I guess, I'll grease the mower deck maybe 2 or 3 times per season if I used that tractor for mowing often.

/ Unnecessary MMM greasing #23  
I don't count the hours between greasing. I mow around 2 and then some acres total I guess, I'll grease the mower deck maybe 2 or 3 times per season if I used that tractor for mowing often.

I am not sure how to determine the minimum greasing frequency.

But I am sure if you do not meet the minimum requirements you will have a chore repairing the damage.

Therefore, I grease when I feel like I should. Not every ten operating hours probably. But when I do grease I don’t hold back and do grease amply. On fitting that experience no damage if over greased of course...

/ Unnecessary MMM greasing #24  
I’d do what the operators manual says to do

/ Unnecessary MMM greasing #25  
Different machines have different requirements. The Kubota GR2120 deck wants grease "daily," which I interpret to be about every 8 hours. Bush Hog RFM gets it about every 25 hours. I'd do it more because it's especially easy for that one, but I think it's sufficient.

/ Unnecessary MMM greasing #26  
Just for the hellavit.......I looked in the OE manual for my model of MMM. Actually the manual is kinda generic and vague as to the maintenance schedule IMO....as to greasing frequency. I counted 13 zerks just on the mowing deck...plus...3 more for the PTO shaft/U-joints.

That's a lot of grunting for an old man....to be done only as necessary. Heck, my tractor, by itself, only has one zerk for the whole thing....the HST pedal.

I think I'll stay with 10 hours with special attention to the spindles and gauge wheels & brackets.

Cheers,
Mike
You oughta walk a mile in my shoes. I’m greasing 4) farm tractors, a large square baler, a round baler, a hay rake, a Tedder, (2) 15’ bush hogs, (2) zero turns and a bunch of other attachments.
I bet I have over 200 grease fittings to keep track of. Big Square baler has a Lincoln auto-lube which greases some of the baler fittings.
In the 2 baling tractors, I keep a Dewalt 20v battery grease gun and 2 spare tubes of grease. I also keep a DeWalt 20v battery grease gun in the bush hog tractor. That way I always have a grease gun ready to go. Getting ready to buy a 4th 20v DeWalt.

/ Unnecessary MMM greasing #27  
My rule of thumb is to grease every time you re-fuel. That usually puts you in the 8-12 hour mark.

/ Unnecessary MMM greasing
That sounds like a good "rule of thumb" to me....for my situation.

Cheers,
Mike

/ Unnecessary MMM greasing #29  
You oughta walk a mile in my shoes. I’m greasing 4) farm tractors, a large square baler, a round baler, a hay rake, a Tedder, (2) 15’ bush hogs, (2) zero turns and a bunch of other attachments.
I bet I have over 200 grease fittings to keep track of. Big Square baler has a Lincoln auto-lube which greases some of the baler fittings.
In the 2 baling tractors, I keep a Dewalt 20v battery grease gun and 2 spare tubes of grease. I also keep a DeWalt 20v battery grease gun in the bush hog tractor. That way I always have a grease gun ready to go. Getting ready to buy a 4th 20v DeWalt.
Agreed and you win on this one. I have greased ag items with lots of grease fittings and most went to grease schedule and not before. People think they know what it's like to have and to grease a few hundred fittings on equipment that is in daily use. It is no picnic. Plus, you wind up forgetting one fitting or so for a while. My Deere backhoe has one a bucket pivot pin that is hard to see and oops every now and then.

We learned there were stickier greases that lasted longer and if anyone wants to try Deere polyurea grease, it works for me and stays stuck. Click on grease in the link and it's the first one listed. FYI