Unpleasant firsts

/ Unpleasant firsts #1  

pennwalk

Veteran Member
Tractor
Yanmar 186D
For more than a month I have been having the unpleasant experience each time I filled up my truck of paying the more I have ever paid for each gallon of gas. Today I had the first time experience of paying more than $4 per gallon and not being able to fill the tank before the pump clicked off at the $75 cc limit.:( Last night I heard that gas could go to $6 this year.:( I heard that that the the F150 fell from first most popular vehicle to fifth behind the Camry, Accord, Civic and and Corola.

Chris

/ Unpleasant firsts #2  
Wait until after the election, we might be "amazed" when they find more oil available and the price goes down.

Oil is a commodity, it will go up and down just like commodities do, seems like it takes awhile for it to come down tho.

/ Unpleasant firsts
One thing that I found interesting was that after Memorial day the price of a barrel of oil fell. I heard an guy on the radio say the market was shocked when many fewer Americans traveled for the holiday which caused the price to fall. It is like a catch 22 we want to drive but if we do the price goes up. So to get oil prices down we have to quit driving but if we aren't driving who cares what the price is. And if the price goes down then we are going to fill up and hit the road so the price will go up. I thought it was other countries using more oil that was driving the price up. Too much thinking. My head hurts:( wonder if my bike tires still hold air.

Chris

/ Unpleasant firsts #4  
I'm amazed that the Gas tanker will be filling the ground tanks at the Service Station, the wind blows in the Middle East and drives the price per barrel of crude up, and somehow the price will rise at the pump 4 cents before the tanker has finished unloading. I can't find anyone that thinks the profits Exxon and the rest are making...are in any way legitimate. As Pennwalk pointed out, I stopped driving unless I can accomplish several chores in one trip. What I can't do next winter....is not heat my house and whatever the price per gallon is for gas at the pumps, add 50 cents a gallon minimum for #2 heating oil. I also use Propane, which is now apparently being refined from Gold....judging from the price per gallon. I wish I felt better after this rant, but I don't....maybe I'll go sit on the tractor. Dyer, retired

/ Unpleasant firsts #5  
Dyer said:
I can't find anyone that thinks the profits Exxon and the rest are making...are in any way legitimate.

Exxon and the other "oil" companies are all publicly traded companies. You and I are free to buy stock in them like any other company. If they make a proffit, all of us who own that stock make a proffit. If they lose money, then so does everyone who owns that stock. The people who run the company are there for one reason, to make a profit. Same with any other company. What's really important is that most people that are retired have their pensions vested in a variety of companies, including the oil companies. If the oil companies were to stop making a proffit, then the funds available for the pensions would decrease. To suggest that any company makes too much money and should be regulated in what they can earn is to suggest total control of all business. A practice that was tried and failed in Russia.

The reason that most people blame the oil companies for the price of oil and complain about the profits they make is called misdirection. The real problem is in the way the country is being run and how we are having to import fuel because we cannot build any refineries. More people, more need for fuel and the same number of refineries. There is no shortage of oil, in fact, the known oil reserves are increasing faster then the oil is being used. But for some reason, we've decided to block access to getting it.

Do you really think it's the oil companies fault that they cannot drill for oil where they know it exists? Do you really think it's the oil companies fault that they cannot refine crude oil into fuel so they can sell it and make even more profit? Do you really think that they are raising the price of oil so that we will spend more money at the pump, but buy less fuel?

There are some very smart people who work for and run the oil companies. They are regulated and controled by some very corrupt and incompentent people in Washington DC.

Eddie

/ Unpleasant firsts #6  
EddieWalker said:
Exxon and the other "oil" companies are all publicly traded companies. You and I are free to buy stock in them like any other company. If they make a proffit, all of us who own that stock make a proffit. If they lose money, then so does everyone who owns that stock. The people who run the company are there for one reason, to make a profit. Same with any other company. What's really important is that most people that are retired have their pensions vested in a variety of companies, including the oil companies. If the oil companies were to stop making a proffit, then the funds available for the pensions would decrease. To suggest that any company makes too much money and should be regulated in what they can earn is to suggest total control of all business. A practice that was tried and failed in Russia.

The reason that most people blame the oil companies for the price of oil and complain about the profits they make is called misdirection. The real problem is in the way the country is being run and how we are having to import fuel because we cannot build any refineries. More people, more need for fuel and the same number of refineries. There is no shortage of oil, in fact, the known oil reserves are increasing faster then the oil is being used. But for some reason, we've decided to block access to getting it.

Do you really think it's the oil companies fault that they cannot drill for oil where they know it exists? Do you really think it's the oil companies fault that they cannot refine crude oil into fuel so they can sell it and make even more profit? Do you really think that they are raising the price of oil so that we will spend more money at the pump, but buy less fuel?

There are some very smart people who work for and run the oil companies. They are regulated and controled by some very corrupt and incompentent people in Washington DC.

Eddie

i couldn't agree more with you. well said. maybe you should run as an independant? you'd have my vote:D

/ Unpleasant firsts #7  
Fellows, we're probably getting too close to politics which is a prohibited topic on Tractorbynet, but . . . . Eddie, your point is well taken and a valid one. But there's just a few flies in the ointment.
1) With other products and companies, competition works to keep prices down to some extent. But instead of competition, all the oil companies are working together to keep the prices high for all; no competition at all.
2) Another thing is that with most products you can decide whether you will buy that product or not. But with energy sources, gasoline, oil, diesel, LPG, electricity, we might be able to cut back a little bit, but we almost have to buy their products.
3) With most products that you decide to buy or not buy, it only affects the company that made that product. With gasoline, and especially diesel, the companies that transport it have no choice but to pay the price, so that increases the price of everything else we buy.
4) Yes, you can buy stock in the oil companies and participate in their obscene profits. But what percentage of the population is able to do that? Isn't that kind of like the management of the oil companies saying "I've got mine; too bad about you?"

/ Unpleasant firsts #8  
pennwalk said:
For more than a month I have been having the unpleasant experience each time I filled up my truck of paying the more I have ever paid for each gallon of gas. Today I had the first time experience of paying more than $4 per gallon and not being able to fill the tank before the pump clicked off at the $75 cc limit.:( Last night I heard that gas could go to $6 this year.:( I heard that that the the F150 fell from first most popular vehicle to fifth behind the Camry, Accord, Civic and and Corola.

Chris

That's nothing. I just paid $140 to fill my diesel pickup. $5/gallon for diesel.:mad:

I only wish I could be paying $4/gallon! :(

/ Unpleasant firsts
Even though the temptation is strong, let's not take this political 'cause sure as shooting we will get locked down.

Chris

/ Unpleasant firsts
$5/gallon for diesel

Yep I'm feeling pretty smart for having bought my oil sipping little yanmar. It still is a shock to have to pay so much to fill the yellow can. What are we going to do the grass needs to be mowed.

Chris