Unsecured hay hauling

/ Unsecured hay hauling #81  
I travel a narrow 2 lane State highway in Arkansas 3-4 times weekly to my rural place in Ozarks. it's a busy highway w/o shoulders & blind curves.
lots of round bale hauling without any securing, they say gravity will do the job...that is until control is lost around a curve to oncoming traffic
& would make short work of me, etc. local law enforcement shrug it off like the haulers. so what are your state hwy laws on hauling unsecured tonnage on similar roads in your area. to be honest, it is annoying to see, but hey, don't like to offend the red necks (another safety hazard)
This would be a better site
I travel a narrow 2 lane State highway in Arkansas 3-4 times weekly to my rural place in Ozarks. it's a busy highway w/o shoulders & blind curves.
lots of round bale hauling without any securing, they say gravity will do the job...that is until control is lost around a curve to oncoming traffic
& would make short work of me, etc. local law enforcement shrug it off like the haulers. so what are your state hwy laws on hauling unsecured tonnage on similar roads in your area. to be honest, it is annoying to see, but hey, don't like to offend the red necks (another safety hazard)

/ Unsecured hay hauling #82  
This would be a better site if pejoratives were not used
This would be better thread if the pejoratives were left off and the discussion was about traffic safety. The comment about rednecks being a safety hazard was totally inappropriate and deserves a retraction or apology. This is a great website. Why don't we keep it civil.

/ Unsecured hay hauling #83  
In Washington State you can license a truck for farm use, they are given a "Q" license. They give you a certain radius of use rom the farm.
It is not unusual to get pulled over for an inspection by State Patrol inspectors. When they see the "Q" they say "Oh, you are licensed for farm use, we do not inspect those". I request an inspection regardless and they are more than nice about performing a "courtesy" inspection. There was a time when the air brakes were out of adjustment and the inspector said "If you were a commercial truck I would have you park it and it would not move till it was fixed." Since I was only a mile from my destination, he sent me on my way and said to get it fixed before it is on the road again, which I more than willingly did.
I do not think farm trucks are less deadly because they are for farm use.

/ Unsecured hay hauling #84  
As a small farmer who raises cattle and some hay I always secure my load, the exception being if I am hauling on my own property or between them which puts me on a small county road for a few hundred yards at most. Equipment or hay on trailers going any distance is always secured. That being said, a well secured hay load driven over rough county roads can shift so please be careful if you are behind someone. They may have had a strap shift and not even know it. Police here typically leave farmers alone unless something looks really dangerous. People who are not raised in rural,areas often have no respect for farmers moving equipment on roads - they just want them the hell out of their way and will sometimes do stupid things to get around them. Please understand that farmers sometimes have to drive equipment on roads even if it interrupts traffic for a while. Having worked for years in a metro area, I can tell you I have seen more unsecured or poorly secured loads in trucks and trailers than I have seen in rural areas where farmers work.

/ Unsecured hay hauling #85  
People who are not raised in rural,areas often have no respect for farmers moving equipment on roads - they just want them the hell out of their way and will sometimes do stupid things to get around them.

Not just farmers also anyone not driving fast enough to suit them, many is the time I have been passed on hills, curves or with on coming traffic simply because I was not going 5 or 10 mph over the limit.

/ Unsecured hay hauling #86  

This would be better thread if the pejoratives were left off and the discussion was about traffic safety. The comment about rednecks being a safety hazard was totally inappropriate and deserves a retraction or apology. This is a great website. Why don't we keep it civil.
I think a world where nobody can ever offend anybody else would be pretty boring. I see you only have 5 posts here. Give it time and you'll realize it's all in good fun (well, mostly). Or are you a person who moves into a new town and immediately starts telling the neighbors to clean up their lawns? :)

Last edited:
   / Unsecured hay hauling #87  
You never tied down your skid steer? It must not be worth much.
It was just maybe two years old. Hauled it from key west Florida to dekalb tx with nary a strap on it. But it was in a dump trailer so nobody could see over in it. Some ole drunk gal pulled out in front of me on 220 in bossier city, like to been El accidente' going on. Usually if we are on state trooper roads we tie.

/ Unsecured hay hauling #88  
Is part of it your equipment? We haul a lot of hay around on trailers built for large rounds, need to dump the entire trailer to lose a bale. But when we sell by the semi load, truckers strap them down. Our trailers handle 11 4' x 6' bales but that doesn't go far with 3,000 head.
It was a round the clock deal to keep them plenty of nutrition to handle the cold. We did it. The farthest place I couldn't mix for them so I put 16 mineral tubs in The barn. Two pallets of feed in troughs.

/ Unsecured hay hauling

okie dokey, guess all humor should be scrutinized these days given our culture wars...surely you didn't think i was serious?
apologize for any offense taken, beat regards
also, welcome to the forum compadre

Last edited:
   / Unsecured hay hauling #90  
Sounds good Bubba.