Unsecured hay hauling

/ Unsecured hay hauling #121  
A key point that's been either overlooked - or just assumed is that the load is not just "secured" but properly secured. Though even then accidents can happen as it's not possible to fasten every little bolt to the hauling vehicle and vibration can make fasteners back off/loosen.

Was an incident not all that far from here a few years ago where a bale came off of trailer even though the load reportedly was tied down .....bale fell off as just the wrong time/place and fell into an oncoming vehicle killing the occupants. Was actually discussed here before as well: Secure Those Loads! -- Teen killed when hay bale falls from truck: Charges pending

Personally I probably cross into being a bit paranoid about securing loads (to the point I'll even use a leaf blower to clear any loose dirt/rocks from equipment after it's been loaded), and even then try to keep an eye on them and the road behind me when hauling items that aren't contained in a fully enclosed part of the vehicle/trailer. Wish I could say all that means I've never had things come off in transit, but it'd be a lie if I did since I've had pieces of cardboard tear off of objects they were fastened to and go flying, as well as a garbage bag of empty plastic containers work it's way out of a bungee net.

Have seen quite a few larger/heavier things come off of vehicles as well. One of the more memorable ones was a backpack leaf blower from the back of a landscapers pickup ... where he'd even neglected to close the tail gate. Tried to get his attention after it fell, but the guy was too wrapped up in cell conversation. I still wonder if he thought it was too much of a "time consuming inconvenience" to secure a load after he got to where he was going and found he was missing equipment.

One of the others I recall was on a trip go go pick up my current trailer I saw a state patrol officer pulling over a guy hauling a mini excavator - the excavator was tied down, but there were roughly a dozen pieces of lumber riding loose (not legal, but not uncommon to see either). That made me wonder what was going on, until a few miles further down the interstate I saw a dump trailer that'd been filled with sand overturned in the median .... quite sure the trailer had been severely overloaded before it rolled. Made me really cautious about ensuring I had everything in working order on the new trailer before heading home (to include ensuring the trailer brakes were appropriately adjusted). ...... on the way home I saw they were still working to clean up the sand, and the individual hauling the excavator wasn't much further down the road from where I'd seen them be pulled over - though all the boards were now tucked under excavator. Whole trip was about an hour and the truck hauling the excavator was less than 10 minutes into it....

All that has driven home not only the necessity of not only properly securing a load, but to pay attention while driving (both to my own loads, as well as those of others) .....and not to hang around livestock trailers (I suspect unbaffled liquid loads - while problematic could potentially be less problematic than livestock that gets spooked).

A few of the more horrendous memories I have are from growing up overlooking an interstate and the multiple times livestock trailers were rolled. Between that and seeing the aftereffects of a pair of snowmobilers who fell off their snowmobile in the middle of the night while attempting to cross the interstate highway :sick: ......I will never willing live overlooking an interstate again.

/ Unsecured hay hauling #122  
I saw a lawn seeder fall off the back of a pickup. It was before daylight and I chased them, flashing my lights and blowing the horn but they didn't stop. I should have gone back and claimed it, but it was probably broken. Hay isn't the only thing which is improperly secured, it just happens to be the topic which the OP chose.

/ Unsecured hay hauling
And that’s the whole point of this exercise. There are some folks out there who hate farmers. They want their equipment to be taxed or not even be allowed to traverse roads from field to field.
How could farming and food on the table happen if they were in charge?
The pictures and articles about improperly carted hay are real, but few and far between. Typical of people today who only focus on the small minority of the bad in a group and not the vast majority who do things right.

This would be a better site if pejoratives were not used

This would be better thread if the pejoratives were left off and the discussion was about traffic safety. The comment about rednecks being a safety hazard was totally inappropriate and deserves a retraction or apology. This is a great website. Why don't we keep it civil.
looking at some of the responses, i probably made a mistake in making this original post.
to address the 2nd quote 1st, yes, my poor attempt at "redneck" humor was probably in poor taste to some. as to the 1st quote, my original intent in this safety post was an observation on an obvious state hwy transportation hazard hauling unsecured hay cargo...never an attempt at demonizing a particular demographic like farmers or truckers. If some took it that way, it was not my intent...

as a last caveat: hope anyone reading the thread never encounters an accident involving unsecured loads, whether hauler or victim. should the tragic event occur, i would recommend the hauler to get a good lawyer, as the argument that they are unfairly treated & victimized by society probably will not hold much ground in a court of law. ..or offer little solace to those who suffered personal injury, property damage, or even death.

Last edited:
   / Unsecured hay hauling #124  
looking at some of the responses, i probably made a mistake in making this original post.
to address the 2nd quote 1st, yes, my poor attempt at "redneck" humor was probably in poor taste to some. as to the 1st quote, my original intent in this safety post was an observation on an obvious state hwy transportation hazard hauling unsecured hay cargo...never an attempt at demonizing a particular demographic like farmers or truckers. If some took it that way, it was not my intent...

as a last caveat: hope anyone reading the thread never encounters an accident involving unsecured loads, whether hauler or victim. should the tragic event occur, i would recommend the hauler to get a good lawyer, as the argument that they are unfairly treated & victimized in society probably will not hold much ground in a court of law. ..& offer little solace to those who suffered personal injury, property damage, or even death.

Sorry for all the negative stuff.

I never took any of your comments as insults. Humor or fun or joking is disappearing on the internet and in society. We take ourselves too seriously.

Also - I was and am very happy the Razorbacks won!

MoKelly

/ Unsecured hay hauling
Sorry for all the negative stuff.

I never took any of your comments as insults. Humor or fun or joking is disappearing on the internet and in society. We take ourselves too seriously.

Also - I was and am very happy the Razorbacks won!

MoKelly
well thanks, safety & consideration for others is all that matters. on a tangent, funny, i live where i can hear the roar of the razorback games here in Fayetteville...but after decades, never been to a football game. Does that put me in further jeopardy w/rednecks & razorback fans?...of course it does...just to say, take that extra time to tie down yer loads for the next curve ahead...that's all, bb

/ Unsecured hay hauling #126  
well thanks, safety & consideration for others is all that matters. on a tangent, funny, i live where i can hear the roar of the razorback games here in Fayetteville...but after decades, never been to a football game. Does that put me in further jeopardy w/rednecks & razorback fans?...of course it does...just to say, take that extra time to tie down yer loads for the next curve ahead...that's all, bb
My wife’s Dad lives within walking distance of War Memorial Stadium in Little Rock.

Back in the day when conference games were played there, it was something to see. Campers, tailgaters and crowds were amazing. Probably 2x the folks that could fit in the stadium.

Now, they get minor league teams but it’s still a show. Not near the crowds - especially from the other team.

/ Unsecured hay hauling #127  
So here’s the other side of the coin. This car tailgated me down a backroad (speed limit 25) while I was roading a 200HP Massey with an 11’+ wide hay mower. The road is very narrow and there’s no place to pass. When I came to a stop sign “T” intersection, this little punk ripped around me at about 7000RPM, smoking the rear tires, then shoots his girly hand up the sunroof and gives me the finger. I was pretty whupped and not in the mood to jack with anyone.
I actually caught up to him at the red light and prepared to exit the tractor to do something I always tell my son not to do, but the little snowflake ❄️ got a green light and got away from me.

1632527825864.jpeg

/ Unsecured hay hauling #128  
So here’s the other side of the coin. This car tailgated me down a backroad (speed limit 25) while I was roading a 200HP Massey with an 11’+ wide hay mower. The road is very narrow and there’s no place to pass. When I came to a stop sign “T” intersection, this little punk ripped around me at about 7000RPM, smoking the rear tires, then shoots his girly hand up the sunroof and gives me the finger. I was pretty whupped and not in the mood to jack with anyone.
I actually caught up to him at the red light and prepared to exit the tractor to do something I always tell my son not to do, but the little snowflake ❄️ got a green light and got away from me.

View attachment 714498
It's such a shame that some people are just a bunch of selfish pricks and have absolutely no respect for anyone around them and do dumb stuff like that.

Around here, those kind of situations don't really happen that often, or at all to be honest. For the most part, they do respect when any type of Ag or construction equipment goes on the road. Of course, there is always those impatient guys that will pull a dumb overtake move and put everything and everyone at risk, but those tend to be a minority.

If the line gets too long behind a tractor or machine, the operator will be aware of that and pull to the side when he gets a safe place to do it and let everyone pass. If a tractor comes on a tight road and faces another vehicle in front, the vehicle will pull to the side as much as possible and let the tractor pass.

It doesn't really take much time at all to make lives easier for both sides.

/ Unsecured hay hauling #129  
I actually caught up to him at the red light and prepared to exit the tractor to do something I always tell my son not to do, but the little snowflake ️ got a green light and got away from me.

View attachment 714498

Well - maybe in the long run you were fortunate he got away.

It’s not worth the consequences dealing with those type of folks.

Eventually, and always, they get what they deserve.

MoKelly

/ Unsecured hay hauling #130  
A mile or two ahead, wave as you go by, as they stand beside their car in the ditch.

Bruce