Update-Second time around with Keyed Ignition Switch issue on my CK30

/ Update-Second time around with Keyed Ignition Switch issue on my CK30 #1  

Robin Veerman

Platinum Member
Tractor
2014 Kioti CK30HST
Hey guys,
So for about 18 months I've been fighting with the ignition switch on my 2014 CK30 HST. Every once in a while I would have to spray some light oil into the switch and all would be good for a while. Eventually it got bad enough that I bought a new switch and installed it 2.5 months/25 hours ago. A couple of days afterwards the tractor wouldn't turn over when I turned the key. The usual glow plugs and solenoid click, but no crank. Thought it odd...but sprayed some light oil into the switch, and voila it cranked and started. All was good for a few weeks until today when I decided to install the snowblower and do it's annual oil/filter change. No go again. Lots of turn the key, pull the key out, turn the key with glow plugs, pull the key out, try it all again...nothing. This is worse than the switch I replaced!! Sprayed a little light oil into the switch and after 10 minutes tried it again and she cranked and fired. So....is the new switch bad too??? Part number on the invoice is k-t4520-75176. Is this a NOS part, and is there a new/updated part numbered switch instead that I should be asking for? Anyone else had a similar issue and resolved it? Tractor is always stored inside, if anyone is wondering....
Thanks, Dutchy

/ Update-Second time around with Keyed Ignition Switch issue on my CK30 #2  
I had this same recurring problem with mine, and tried flushing out the switch with WD40, then Silicone spray and they'd work for a while, but then it wouldn't start. In the end I gave the ignition switch a really good spray of electrical contact cleaner (really got in there with a tube on the spray can - like I was hosing it out). And just to be certain I also undid all the battery connectors, put dielectric grease on them and did them up tight. So far it hasn't happened again - a few months now.

/ Update-Second time around with Keyed Ignition Switch issue on my CK30 #3  
No problem with my 2006 ign switch ever. Maybe you should look for old stock. :)
Mine sleeps in a barn, not outside.

/ Update-Second time around with Keyed Ignition Switch issue on my CK30 #4  
Fairly common problem.
The lubricant in the switches go hard from heat, especially if under direct sun.
A spray lubricant will generally soften the lube and restore proper function.

/ Update-Second time around with Keyed Ignition Switch issue on my CK30 #5  
I think if it was a heat thing, mine would be one of the first to go.

/ Update-Second time around with Keyed Ignition Switch issue on my CK30
I'm also thinking about another possible issue. Would the clutch (HST) safety switch cause the issues that I'm currently having? Especially now that I've replaced the ignition switch and the initial problem continued. Just thinking out loud.... If the switch was defective or slow to respond when I depress the pedal, would I see this problem? I mean everything shows fine on the dash... glow plugs activated etc., but then no cranking when I turn the key to start the engine. Eventually it will start. Over a year ago I had the clutch pedal latched so that I could start/stop the engine without having to sit in the seat and the latch slipped causing the pedal to pop up quite hard. I wonder if that force could have caused damage to the safety switch. Dutchy

/ Update-Second time around with Keyed Ignition Switch issue on my CK30 #7  
I took mine apart years ago and cleaned all the old gummy grease out. (DK40) I did have an issue where i would crank hard on the switch and there was enough room i would overshoot the contacts. That one puzzled me for awhile until one day I figured it out.
If you take the switch apart two springs and two ball bearings can go flying. Another weird issue I finally had was the relays would cycle on off rapidly when switching to glow plug. A low voltage condition was causing this. I had a battery with possibly a cell failing. Give it a little charge and start no problem. I replaced the battery a month ago and starts just fine now.

/ Update-Second time around with Keyed Ignition Switch issue on my CK30 #8  
Yes, you would see the same symptoms with an intermitantly bad clutch safety switch. Robin, I have not looked at any electrical schematics. I have physically confirmed that: clutch not depressed, turn key fully to start and tractor will not start. Hold key in start position and depress clutch, tractor will start.
I'm sure you know what to do next. Keep us posted.
Andrew

/ Update-Second time around with Keyed Ignition Switch issue on my CK30
Thanks for the info Andrew. I changed out the ignition switch on a beautiful Autumn day, but I'm not looking forward to changing the clutch safety switch now that we're into the cold season. However, I will talk to my dealer and inquire what the cost of the safety switch is and I might order it, just to have it handy to change out on a nice sunny winter's day. But it will be better than switching it out during a snow storm. Is there a way to bypass the clutch safety switch, in the mean time? Thanks, Dutchy

/ Update-Second time around with Keyed Ignition Switch issue on my CK30 #10  
If you look above the clutch you will see the switch attached with 2 bullet connectors. The plunger is adjustable so the peddle depresses it properly.