Upgrading From the Dewalt 18V Platform

/ Upgrading From the Dewalt 18V Platform #71  
I bought a supply of these DeWalt DC9180 lithium batteries for my older DeWalt tools.

1645818476996.png

They are a direct replacement for the old 18V NiCd batteries. Unfortunately, they are getting hard to find.

I also have a few adapters but I don't like the bulk they add to the tool. It's sometimes tough to get into tight places.

/ Upgrading From the Dewalt 18V Platform #72  
So you want NiCAD, NiMH, and lithium batteries to be the same but you want the attachment modified so they do not get accidentally mixed with incompatible tools or chargers? "Same but different?"

And you want this retroactive? And presumably forward looking for whatever replaces lithium?
What's required is perfectly achievable, as demonstrated by Ryobi. It's not hard. The tools don't care, 18 volts is 18 volts. wether it comes from NiMh or a bunch of lemons with with copper and zinc strips in their flesh. It matters for the chargers as different chemistries require different charging profiles.

Last edited:
   / Upgrading From the Dewalt 18V Platform #73  
Dewalt 18 volt batteries are top post where the 20 volt batteries are flat top. Nothing is directly interchangeable. They make adapters. They’re kinda clunky but that might be an acceptable compromise for light use.
I purchased the adapter (aftermarket from E-Bay) and it works really well - doesn't change the geometry much and now I run my 18v tools with my 20v Li ion batteries. The tools work really well on the 20v and I've had the adapter for over a year and plenty of use. Certainly beat purchasing new 18v batteries for a 24 year old drill and saw! They both run like new - even better.

/ Upgrading From the Dewalt 18V Platform #74  
I purchased the adapter (aftermarket from E-Bay) and it works really well - doesn't change the geometry much and now I run my 18v tools with my 20v Li ion batteries. The tools work really well on the 20v and I've had the adapter for over a year and plenty of use. Certainly beat purchasing new 18v batteries for a 24 year old drill and saw! They both run like new - even better.
Thanks for the post!!! Just what I wanted to hear!!!

/ Upgrading From the Dewalt 18V Platform #75  
I switched over to Makita but still have a lot of DeWalt 18v tools. That all work well but as you know the batteries are gone.

F5EBE69A-E272-46DE-928F-AAB16748425F.jpeg

I made this adapter so I could use my DeWalt jigsaw, which is an awesome machine.

I used a Makita “USB Adapter” that cost about $16.

It’s possible that you can get these adapters on eBay by now but there was nothing back when I made this one.

/ Upgrading From the Dewalt 18V Platform #76  
I switched over to Makita but still have a lot of DeWalt 18v tools. That all work well but as you know the batteries are gone.

View attachment 737992
I made this adapter so I could use my DeWalt jigsaw, which is an awesome machine.

I used a Makita “USB Adapter” that cost about $16.

It’s possible that you can get these adapters on eBay by now but there was nothing back when I made this one.
Ands so it begins....

/ Upgrading From the Dewalt 18V Platform #77  
FYI. The Connecticut-based Stanley Black & Decker owns many brands beyond its name, including Lenox, Craftsman, Irwin Tools, DeWALT and CribMaster.
Add Milwaukee to that list.

/ Upgrading From the Dewalt 18V Platform #79  
As far as the lug is concerned, maybe it's related to the same issue I have with my Makita batteries. Makita came out with newer batteries that won't go on some of my older tools due to a plastic part that prevents final docking. The reason is the newer batteries are higher amp hour and have protection circuit that monitors the tool. Older tools can't talk to the battery.

/ Upgrading From the Dewalt 18V Platform #80  
I didn't want to bury this in the recent "cordless tools vs." post, so I'm creating this separately. I'm assuming I'm not the only person still limping along with this ni-cad dinosaur platform, so maybe any others out there can either help with my questions or learn a few details along the way as I make a move to upgrade.

I've got a reasonable amount of these tools: 10-12 total, with 9 batteries: 6 xrp & 3 regular. Some of this stuff I paid retail price for, and some I got at ridiculous deals over the years both new & used. for example, i paid $18 for a 2-pack of xrp batteries still sealed in the clamshell. but i digress... i recently had two of my xrp batteries fail - won't charge on any of the several chargers i have. they're all getting pretty well aged, and some of the others don't seem to hold charge well, so i know i'm on borrowed time. around here everyone is buying the milwaukee fuel 18v stuff like there is no other alternative. my question is, do i cut bait and jump too, or do i stay with the Dewalt brand and move the 20v max platform, hopefully gradually.

I've tried to do research online, but I can't find any large definitive lists of what works and what does not work when using the 20v max batteries in the 18v tools. the dewalt faq has one partial list (I will link it here in a bit) but it only has 2 of the tools i have and the information was unclear. Because of this, i'm going to post all of my tools with a list of what works and does not work for everyone's benefit, and also pose any questions I have about why something does or does not work, and hopefully someone can provide an answer.

I will stick with my modest but trusty very old 12V DeWalt DW972 as long as cheap batteries and cheap parts, or replacement DW972 drills are available on the eBay!

Perfectly fine for light duty drilling it was meant some 30 years or so ago, and anything requiring more juice I use 120V or pneumatic tools.

Your mileage may differ.....

DW972.JPG