UPS (uninterrupted power supply)

/ UPS (uninterrupted power supply) #11  
I have a Honda Genset to keep my pellet stove going when the power goes off. A UPS will only run the pellet stove (uses 3 electric motors) for a few minutes and our power interruptions tend to run for hours.

I've even run a power thru-port through the wall so the genset can sit outside and I don't have to crack a window or door to run the power into the house.

One of the big advantages of a wood stove was no worries when the power went off...if it's dark, light a few candles and put another log on the fire and enjoy!

/ UPS (uninterrupted power supply)
Pardon my ignorance, we use a wood burning stove not a pellet stove. Why not just let it sit for the few minutes it takes to get the generator going?
I have a coal stove. When the power goes out, you have a very limited window of opportunity to get the generator going before you lose your cherry. (EMBERS)

Restarting a coal stove at 2:00am on a work night is not a happy time. Anything that will add a few minutes would be helpful.

I remember running to the barn in the wee hours of the morning. Going through 2 feet of snow with just my sloggers, no socks, and my luxurious Turkish bathrobe. Time was not on my side.

/ UPS (uninterrupted power supply) #13  
I have a coal stove. When the power goes out, you have a very limited window of opportunity to get the generator going before you lose your cherry. (EMBERS)

Restarting a coal stove at 2:00am on a work night is not a happy time. Anything that will add a few minutes would be helpful.

I remember running to the barn in the wee hours of the morning. Going through 2 feet of snow with just my sloggers, no socks, and my luxurious Turkish bathrobe. Time was not on my side.
Boy that experience would have me reevaluating having a coal stove (furnace?).

I have had coal fireplaces, but never a coal stove or furnace, and that sounds like a lot more work.

All the best,

Peter

/ UPS (uninterrupted power supply) #14  
Is anyone using a UPS (uninterrupted power supply) on their coal or pellet stove? If so, what kind and how's it working out?

Dave
have you looked into the world of solar generators? lots of options and sizes. we use one for our tv. runs the internet dish, tv, couple lights with zero interupt.

/ UPS (uninterrupted power supply) #15  
Sounds like all the more reason to use wood. I can take my time as there is about a half hour from when the power goes out to when it starts making noises to get the fan running again

/ UPS (uninterrupted power supply)
Sounds like all the more reason to use wood. I can take my time as there is about a half hour from when the power goes out to when it starts making noises to get the fan running again
Wood is very labor intensive. Plus you need a place to put it. We had wood, thats why I now heat with coal.

/ UPS (uninterrupted power supply) #17  
have you looked into the world of solar generators? lots of options and sizes. we use one for our tv. runs the internet dish, tv, couple lights with zero interupt.
??? how well does it work at night or after a couple weeks of dark cloudy skies? And I'm thinking the 3 electric motors that run my pellet stove use a lot more power than a TV or any lights.

/ UPS (uninterrupted power supply) #18  
I had a 600W UPS powered by a little 12 volt battery for the TV and DVR. Removed the battery and wired it to a deep cycle 12 volt RV battery.

It would power the TV for several hours.
Can the UPS keep that big battery charged?

/ UPS (uninterrupted power supply) #20  
I wonder how much battery will be needed to run a pellet stove for hours or days. Wouldn't it be better to just let the pellet stove sit idle while you crank up your gen set.

I think this is what m1garamd762 is suggesting also.