Used Crane Advice

/ Used Crane Advice #11  
I worked for a crane manufacturer for 10 years. In that time frame we built cranes for the Air Force and Marines. Memory wise unit was built structurally same as other units. Now could be different specs for engine or tires or such. Remember the Marine unit had mount for M16 in the cab. Things I can remember different was special paints used due to the use of one in water and it also had all electrical connects sealed with silicone sealant. But basically same machine as regular unit was except tweaked for their needs. If battery box is like the ones we had we used 12 volt batteries wires in series to get the 24 volts. Then all our units cranked on 24 volts.

Using crane with boom rotating and you sitting below it is not as good as one that rotates wit the boom but you will or should have clear view of about 180 degrees. I would have no issue buying a unit like that. Just do the normal checking the machine. Regardless of what type of machine you buy tipping is a major concern. Study proper operation. Move load low as possible to help prevent roll over, much like front end loader use.

/ Used Crane Advice #12  
The unit in your pic looks super!!!!--- it would serve you well for your type use!
Cranes are a piece of cake to run!!---Just be careful and you will do fine!
I did own a BE truck crane for many years and they are very handy when you need them. thanks; sonny580

/ Used Crane Advice #13  
Don't do it. You'd be much better off with a telehandler. The crane is single use. The telehandler is the way to go.

First, read this thread from 2001. It's a long read, but makes tons of sense. Worth spending some time reading.
http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/related-topics/5108-compact-tractors-designed-all-wrong.html

Implements, with few exceptions, like dirt plows and large mowers, belong out front where you can see them.

For all other tasks, the telehandler makes the most sense and bang for the buck.

Read Xfaxman's posts and reasoning...
http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/...pact-telehandler-post3243370.html#post3243370

For that matter, if we can't talk you out of buying that crane and into buying a telehandler instead, consider investing the $20,000 and using the interest to rent a telehandler when you need it. In the end, you'll still have your $20,000 (probably way more), and won't have a single purpose machine sitting behind your barn with the tires going flat and batteries dead. ;)

/ Used Crane Advice #14  
Watch this comparison video. Granted, the crane in the video is larger than the one you're looking at, but the principle is exactly the same. Talk yourself out of the crane... ;)

/ Used Crane Advice #15  
I agree that a crane is a single purpose piece of equipment and a telehandler is much more versatile. But for a $15-$20k budget.....I'd expect a telehandler to be a good bit rougher in shape than that crane

/ Used Crane Advice #16  
I agree that a crane is a single purpose piece of equipment and a telehandler is much more versatile. But for a $15-$20k budget.....I'd expect a telehandler to be a good bit rougher in shape than that crane

Agree on that. Gotta find an old lady that only drove it to church on Sundays.

/ Used Crane Advice #17  
Or, since the OP is looking at a camo crane, he might also look for a camo telehandler...

Aaron Z

/ Used Crane Advice #18  
Or, since the OP is looking at a camo crane, he might also look for a camo telehandler...

Aaron Z

Lets just hope they didnt park it in the woods....might make it hard to find:laughing: