Used tractors---be careful

/ Used tractors---be careful #11  
New guy here. (From So NH, USA)
Virgin as it were.

Repair Manual Catalog Online - RepairManual.com has many manuals for many things. I can't vouch for the value as I'm unfamiliar with costs of manuals and other reference literature, but it seems like a good resource to me.
One which sticks out to me is "Farm Equipment Guide & Bluebook 2007 Volumes 1 and 2" but I don't actually know my donkey from a hole in the ground.
Also, being entirely new at all of this (sort of) I've found that like so many other things - a good first step is assessing my true needs.

I am using excel to list my intended projects, necc equip for those projects, whether those projects and subsequent need for the equipment is a one time deal (hardscaping a residential property should only need to be done once - i think) or a repetative task (snow removal), and the relative costs of owning, renting, or farming the work out to someone else who has the equipment.
Of course I'm really sure that I'll be needing a 4x4 CUT with HSD, FEL, BB, MMM, and PHD, ect (all terms I've learned here in a few short entertaining hours of reading - thanks) - but I know in my heart that the need is driven by my own machismo-ego desire for all things big metal and shiny which prove my relative manhood.;)
But, a true assesment reminds me that that's what Hotrods, motorcycles, and choppers are for.

In my understanding, after a good honest appraisal of ones true tractor needs; then the research starts, types of equip, brands, costs, market timing - all of those other goodies found here on TBN.
I have a million questions and will post my gutwrenching plea for advice after I've done my needs assesment, and a little more research... so's to properly frame my questions, i guess.
Yup, I agree. First time tractor buying is "enormously complicated and intimidating." So, I'll take my time and employ proven methods of decision making. then I'll screw up and learn from my mistakes.
Thank Y'all for being here.
JC

/ Used tractors---be careful #12  
Justin caise:

Welcome to TBN :D! You are approaching tractor research and acquisition from a pretty good "place". To help the TBN readership in providing you appropriate feedback please provide us additional information about your location, property, terrain, immediate tractor uses, and anticipated short term and long term projects. I would recommend that you make use of the available tractor selector software programs found in the major tractor brands' websites. These programs are loaded towards FEL use and acreage, but will give you a basic idea of tractor frame and HP needs based on your own data input. Do not get hung up on tractor "specs"! Beware of all those fancy, glossy sales brochures you will find at the dealerships (I have collected quite a few ;)). They are driven by Sales & Marketing Departments :eek: and will often compare different criteria relative to the competition to put their own products in the best perspective. Try to get a feel for all the tractors with which you are interested by getting actual seat time if possible and it is just as imprtant to get a "feel" for the different dealerships. A good dealer will save you money in the long run. Also prepare yourself for sensory overload from the membership of TBN and beware that there are a lot of HP junkies in TBNland :eek: :). We love to spend everyone else's money :cool:! Good luck- Jay :D

/ Used tractors---be careful #13  
OBAA
Stands for Oh Boy, Another Acronymn.
I'm assuming that an HP junkie is, rather than Hewlett Packard, a Horse Power junkie. then I'll fit in well here.
[1998 GMC truck, 1966 Chevy Impala, 1979 Suzuki GS1000 dragbike to be, all I need is a boat and a tractor - and of course to finish my chopper project(s).]

/ Used tractors---be careful #14  
We ALWAYS advise shoppers who make contact with us to get references, some at least a year old, from any "dealer" they are considering buying from---including from us. When looking at a purchase from an individual we urge them to ask the individual where they got the unit and then check on it....way too many "individuals" are selling out of the backyard, pretending to be selling their own tractor, when in fact they sell 3-4-5 or 6 or so each year that way, offering no support and often (in our experience) misrepresenting the unit. Just a couple of years ago "someone" was rebadging some Shibauras and Hinomotos with Yanmar decals...of course the buyers called us about parts AFTER they bought the tractor, and then discovered they'd been had. Check serial numbers and engine numbers and do some searches to see if they match the model...if you can't find any info, you probably won't find parts anyway.

I am almost 58, pretty darn savvy relative to most of the population I have met, have a pretty good idea of the market on anything I would seriously consider spending over a couple hundred $ on, and I can count on one hand the genuine absolute "steals" I have gotten in my lifetime. Most of the time a too good to be true deal is just that.

/ Used tractors---be careful #15  
One thing about buying a used tractor is the experience of the buyer.
If you are a first time tractor buyer, it's really hard to sum up all the areas that need attention or repair. Some things like that you can't get from doing research. If you've owned a previous tractor, you can asses much better and place a value on what needs repair, or even if you really don't need that particular feature anyway.

Such as in my case, even though I did my research, I really couldn't put a value ... asses how useful a feature would be. How much I'd really use it or not. I knew if it had the feature or not, but of what value would it end up being to me. Know what I mean?

If buying a used tractor "fixer upper" that might be even harder for a first time buyer. No way can he make those assessments let alone put a value on how much it would cost to get it fixed up. Add to that misrepresentation, and you are buried. It's much different from an experienced used tractor buyer who knows what he can live with and what can and can't be fixed up reasonably. Even then, if misrepresentation is involved, he could get screwed too.

/ Used tractors---be careful #16  
I've bought two used tractors...one was sight unseen, in fact.
However, both were from reputable Deere dealers and I made out pretty good on both. Of course, you all know I buy very simple machines of a quality brand (not that I can't be snookered!)
Fortunately, there's a lot of folks asking the right questions (sometime we have to prompt those questions) and, for the most part, get good answers...or at least well thought out opinions.

Personally, I think anyone who can buy a used car can buy a used tractor. Obviously, that's not an apples to apples comparison. But someone with a modicum of mechanical experience should determine if the machine is worth buying. Although I wasn't overly experienced with tractors, I did have enough mechanical experience to know I got a good machine.
As tractors don't depreciate in the same way cars do...and CUTs seem to be a premium right now, determining a good and reasonable price can be difficult.

Buying a fixer-upper is never, imho, a good idea unless one is a pretty good mechanic and experienced working on tractors. For a novice to do this...well, big mistake. I don't apply this just to tractors, BTW...across the board with any motorized equipment (or boats).

/ Used tractors---be careful #17  
BTI said:
Used tractors can be a very good value.

At the same time it's easy to get "taken for a ride".

Just be careful and make sure you get what you bargained for.
Ask questions and if they seem dishonest just walk away.

BTI

Excellent points BTI!

For tractor new-bee's, it's really hard to even know what model they are looking at and thus about impossible to know what they are bargaining for. Anyone in that situation either needs to buy new, buy used from a reputable dealer (and an "honest" salesman) or bring along a VERY knowledgeable buddy. If you talk to the mechanics at the dealership, you may be able to get them to accompany you to the private party seller. The dealership may not want you to do this, so tread lightly.

You may also be able to find a tractor mechanic in the phone book or newspaper that can accompany you.

As others have said - be careful on internet and e-scam-bay deals. It's probably not a good deal if the check is made out to a Nairobi address....

jb

/ Used tractors---be careful #18  
No matter what you buy you probably learn quickly that you needed more or less. Until you get something you never know for sure.

I played on other tractors first to get a good idea so I'm pretty happy with my used purchase. I NEEDED/WANTED turfs..found the perfect tractor..but after I bought my tractor I got some ags, they stay on year round now unless I get a flat. So what I thought...well not really. I would like a 4wd, but mainly for the power steering. I really don't need it for my stuff, probably just get stuck deeper taking more chances. :D

Rob