Used Value vs Age

/ Used Value vs Age #151  
The ONLY reason we have this 'technology' in new tractors today is because of the EPA and their mandates.
Not all of it is. John Deere gathering your gps data is certainly not EPA mandated, Computer controlled fuel injection systems are not necessary to meet EPA standards (Branson's don't have it and meet regs). On the Yanmar I looked at, auto throttle control, AB mode, and anti stall are not EPA mandated. They are factory added computer controlled features that most of us have lived without for years and never knew we needed. I, for one, sure don't need them, as they are just another feature to fail, and fail in a hard to fix way.

Last edited:
   / Used Value vs Age #152  
If we had access to the diagnostics for the system, I wouldn't care. That said, with the nearest dealer over an hour away and not owning a trailer or truck capable of towing the tractor to the dealer, I am out of luck.

/ Used Value vs Age #153  
I don’t know what’s in the “hearts and minds” of the manufacturers dumping all the computer controlled technology in these tractors, but it is revealing when they quit working and you have no chance fixing them.
Related, I put a brand new $39,000 New Holland RB450 round baler into service this year. On bale number 1, it was getting close to making a full bale and the digital monitor in the cab was acting strangely.
I decided it was best to manually wrap the bale and call the dealer. They sent a service truck out and the tech couldn’t figure out the problem. New Holland sent a manufacturers rep out and found the on board COMPUTER controller was defective. It was fixed under warranty. The cost was not disclosed, but the dealers tech said it was north of $2,000.
Not a huge repair for my size operation, but if it was out of warranty, I’d be out over $2,000.

Last edited:
   / Used Value vs Age #154  
I don’t know what’s in the “hearts and minds” of the manufacturers dumping all the computer controlled technology in these tractors, but it is revealing when they quit working and you have no chance fixing them.
Related, I put a brand new $39,000 New Holland RB450 round baler into service this year. On bale number 1, it was getting close to making a full bale and the digital monitor in the cab was acting strangely.
I decided it was best to manually wrap the bale and call the dealer. They sent a service truck out and the tech couldn’t figure out the problem. New Holland sent a manufacturers rep out and found the on board COMPUTER controller was defective. It was fixed under warranty. The cost was not disclosed, but the dealers tech said it was north of $2,000.
Not a huge repair for my size operation, but if it was out of warranty, I’d be out over $2,000.
And there is the rub... for many of us, when the non-computerized machines "start to act up" we usually notice the "change" and can begin troubleshooting while still operating it. If it suddenly stops working, we have processes for troubleshooting which can pretty much identify the issue rather quickly. More experienced of us can actually figure out how to fix it ourselves with available parts. Not so much with the new stuff. Aside from the purely mechanical, when something on a modern tractor stops working it is often abrupt, with little warning. The typical troubleshooting techniques may not work if the ecu will not let you perform tasks that you would normally do for testing. A previously simple repair of a component just got a bit complex, requiring a proprietary computer scan to tell you what part to replace. Similar to what back alley mechanics faced popping the hood on a late 60's car vs early 80's.

In my opinion, even if the tractor manufacturers don't want to allow us full access to ecu programming, they should at least have the dash display codes that we can look up to assist us with trouble shooting.

/ Used Value vs Age #155  
And there is the rub... for many of us, when the non-computerized machines "start to act up" we usually notice the "change" and can begin troubleshooting while still operating it. If it suddenly stops working, we have processes for troubleshooting which can pretty much identify the issue rather quickly. More experienced of us can actually figure out how to fix it ourselves with available parts. Not so much with the new stuff. Aside from the purely mechanical, when something on a modern tractor stops working it is often abrupt, with little warning. The typical troubleshooting techniques may not work if the ecu will not let you perform tasks that you would normally do for testing. A previously simple repair of a component just got a bit complex, requiring a proprietary computer scan to tell you what part to replace. Similar to what back alley mechanics faced popping the hood on a late 60's car vs early 80's.

In my opinion, even if the tractor manufacturers don't want to allow us full access to ecu programming, they should at least have the dash display codes that we can look up to assist us with trouble shooting.
Yep. Many “service manuals” actually state “contact dealers service for this repair”, because they know they are the only ones who have access to the software needed to diagnose and fix….
Cha-Ching! $$$$

/ Used Value vs Age #156  
I don’t need to make a list

I’ve looked at/researched many cars and trucks and was disappointed how heavy they’ve gotten with time which hurts fuel economy/outright performance.
here we get a statement that a "know it all" makes claims but can only back it up with cherry picked singular data essentially leaving out specific details and facts mentioned by some of us in this forum. I could digest some info from him if he wasn't supplanting valid data and personal experience/knowledge with an agenda driven narrative.

At least he charges in with a relative civil tone, but it seems he is using a clean air moral high ground to push some guilt onto rural people who need to weigh in daily on how to make ends meet and provide for the welfare of their families. Is it Ok that we don't buy the rhetoric in telling us that we have to comply under the guise of the co2 hoax. We all want clean air and water but at what cost????? Rural people need choices, competition for resources and they are willing to work hard and sacrifice to "get it done" They rely on themselves and not an ever-controlling government dictating what they can do on their land and what equipment they can use to maintain it.

I have owned a 1970 Pontiac GTO, a 1973 GMC van, a 1976 chevy 3/4 ton camper special, a 83 Mazda mini-van, a 96 chevy 1 ton dually 454 ....all heavier than any replacement vehicle that might take it's place today. So you can always erase history and "supplant" to falsely support a claim. This guy also claims that today's "suburban" pickups are better at towing and payload capacity than the trucks they pretend to replace....or should I say eliminated,
I have a 1999 Ford f350 7.3 liter diesel (crew cab dually 8 foot box) 4x4 with leafs in front. Essentially this is a truck. It can pull a loaded 4 horse trailer, 10 ft camper loaded (water tank full) up a 30 deg grade......It's my driveway and when I get to the top I can see quite clearly because the air is nice and clean.

side notes; I burn non-ethanol fuel in all my maintenance equipment, chain saws, mowers, tillers, etc. The first reason is obvious.... i expect them to last. The second reason is fuel economy. So I pay more for the fuel but i do get a return. I just thought I'd mention this because California has it's own pollution standards that puts a big, essentially punishing tax and subsequent price tag on combustion engines and fuel. A carbon tax that gets you twice first when you pay more the carb-compliant equipment and then for the fuel to run it. Of course this dose not hurt the elites, and political figureheads that are all to happy to make you pay for what they can easily absorb financially and in the case of the public officials use taxpayers money.

Last edited:
   / Used Value vs Age #157  
here we get a statement that a "know it all" makes claims but can only back it up with cherry picked singular data essentially leaving out specific details and facts mentioned by some of us in this forum. i could digest some info from him if he wasn't supplanting valid data and personal experience/knowledge with an agenda driven narrative. At least he charges in with a relative civil tone. us but when charged himself I just don't buy this pollution controlThese people just don't care about the consequencesHw just don't getHe has been civil withcritical of validity rebutal but his point was targeted at fuel economy essentially was based on

Please tell me my agenda.

/ Used Value vs Age #158  
here we get a statement that a "know it all" makes claims but can only back it up with cherry picked singular data essentially leaving out specific details and facts mentioned by some of us in this forum. I could digest some info from him if he wasn't supplanting valid data and personal experience/knowledge with an agenda driven narrative.

At least he charges in with a relative civil tone, but it seems he is using a clean air moral high ground to push some guilt onto rural people who need to weigh in daily on how to make ends meet and provide for the welfare of their families. Is it Ok that we don't buy the rhetoric in telling us that we have to comply under the guise of the co2 hoax. We all want clean air and water but at what cost????? Rural people need choices, competition for resources and they are willing to work hard and sacrifice to "get it done" They rely on themselves and not an ever-controlling government dictating what they can do on their land and what equipment they can use to maintain it.

I have owned a 1970 Pontiac GTO, a 1973 GMC van, a 1976 chevy 3/4 ton camper special, a 83 Mazda mini-van, a 96 chevy 1 ton dually 454 ....all heavier than any replacement vehicle that might take it's place today. So you can always erase history and "supplant" to falsely support a claim. This guy also claims that today's "suburban" pickups are better at towing and payload capacity than the trucks they pretend to replace....or should I say eliminated,
I have a 1999 Ford f350 7.3 liter diesel (crew cab dually 8 foot box) 4x4 with leafs in front. Essentially this is a truck. It can pull a loaded 4 horse trailer, 10 ft camper loaded (water tank full) up a 30 deg grade......It's my driveway and when I get to the top I can see quite clearly because the air is nice and clean.

side notes; I burn non-ethanol fuel in all my maintenance equipment, chain saws, mowers, tillers, etc. The first reason is obvious.... i expect them to last. The second reason is fuel economy. So I pay more for the fuel but i do get a return. I just thought I'd mention this because California has it's own pollution standards that puts a big, essentially punishing tax and subsequent price tag on combustion engines and fuel. A carbon tax that gets you twice first when you pay more the carb-compliant equipment and then for the fuel to run it. Of course this dose not hurt the elites, and political figureheads that are all to happy to make you pay for what they can easily absorb financially and in the case of the public officials use taxpayers money.
I use ultra expensive 100 octane low lead (Av gas) in all my small engines, because the libertards in MA have prohibited the dispensing of non ethanol fuel from a pump.

Last edited:
   / Used Value vs Age #159  
I use ultra expensive 100 octane low lead (Av gas) in all my small engines, because the libertards in MA have prohibited the sale of non ethanol fuel being dispensed from a pump.
Are you close to marine fuel (boat docks and moorings) They generally have non-ethanol fuel for boats because of the moisture wicking. Oregon has been hijacked by the rural hating city outsiders (Marxists) as well, but we still have the marine resources and some local supply at a pump or 2 about 20 miles from me. I'm about 7 miles from a Columbia river dock but they price gouge so I drive to the card-lock truck station to get it....costs about 30 cents a gallon more.

/ Used Value vs Age #160  
Are you close to marine fuel (boat docks and moorings) They generally have non-ethanol fuel for boats because of the moisture wicking. Oregon has been hijacked by the rural hating city outsiders (Marxists) as well, but we still have the marine resources and some local supply at a pump or 2 about 20 miles from me. I'm about 7 miles from a Columbia river dock but they price gouge so I drive to the card-lock truck station to get it....costs about 30 cents a gallon more.
I am very close to several marinas, but I do not believe that they are permitted to sell non ethanol fuel either.
The state regulation specifically states: "non ethanol fuel may not be dispensed from a pump".
That said, the local airport does pump 100LL into my cans, and the local fire departments buy there also, for their electric generator engines.
I think I checked marinas long ago, but will check again.