Used Value vs Age

/ Used Value vs Age #131  
I think Harry is saying that isn't really the case. I am not a fan of numerous headaches caused by the new pollution equipment either, But I don't think it is as much of a deterrent as many believe it is. To me, the over computerizing of new tractors is an even bigger long term reliability issue. but I suspect that too isn't that much of a deterrent as the more conservative of us think.

Probably, people think old tractors are more likely to have reliability problems than a new tractor, which may not necessarily be true.

It isn't that I am against computers or pollution control, but they sure need to get better at implementing those things.
And it will get better every year. My four-year-old cat equipped Mahindra has been faultless for the several hundred hours I've put on it. And it doesn't stink.

/ Used Value vs Age #132  
I don't have any "hard data", but I can say that my 2019 Mahindra (Tym) 55hp can go through ~14 gal of diesel in much less time (about 3/4 of the time) doing the same job (Bush hogging) than my last Mahindra pre tier 4 55hp. I used to be able to mow/hog my entire property on about 3/4 of a tank. Now I have to refill when I'm about 90% finished. I don't believe I'm going any slower, still using the same hog, still have throttle @ 2400 for pto. Total weight of new tractor is ~150-200# heavier than pre tier 4 (could be emissions crap or difference between fills in rear tires - antifreeze beet juice - I don't know). But I do know that my summer fuel quantity has gone up close to 50%. Since everything seems to be blamed on either ***** or Climate change, maybe that's why, who knows.

That’s a pretty decent apples to applesauce comparison. Certainly anecdotal but relevant all the same.

What transmission does each tractor have?

/ Used Value vs Age #133  
I know where this conversation will lead so I will be the one to go down the rabbit hole.

Some government regulations are a necessary evel. That said, it always feels like they went too far when it effects usability of something YOU want. Sometimes technology will catch up to the requirements and you end up with a better machine because of it. Look at how reliable cars have become and how well they run compared to the early days of emission controls. Not sure if this will be the case for diesel emissions. Time will tell.

I am about to buy a good used washer and dryer. New washing machines were regulated to a max of 26 gallons of water and it doesn't cover the load. Reviews on new ones are all over the place but quite a few complain of clothes not getting clean. Complaints are such that Home Depot lists all new washers and dryers as NON-RETURNABLE. Apparently you can spring for a commercial unit that escapes the regulation at near double the price of a consumer model. BUT they don't sell them in any of the normal consumer stores.

I want a mid size cab tractor one of these days. I will probably have to pay near new price to get a pre emission model or suck it up and buy a new one with lots of electronics and pauses in use while it regenerates. Not in my budget either way right now so I will cross that road when I get to it. Finding a good pre emission model is becoming more and more impossible. People are not selling them and if they do they fetch a premium price.
Not sure what you mean by “pauses in use” when it regens? My Kioti CK 3510 evens while I use it- no issues

/ Used Value vs Age #135  
Well, I bought a brand new 1972 Chevy Impala Custom Coupe in April of 1972, the week I got out of the Army. It got about 14 MPG.
Today I have a 2017 Chevy Impala and it gets 29-30 MPG.
If the 72 got 10,000 miles on a set of plugs, that was good. Ditto the points in the distributor. New cap, rotor condenser every 10,000 also.
If the tires made 10,000, that was also exceptional. Now they get 50,000 or more miles per set!
I dont even open the hood of the 2017 between oil changes— nothing to fix. It just runs and runs.
The 2017 has a catalytic converter and I’m pretty sure it emits a lot less pollution than the 72 did. Goes almost as fast, too.
My point is, yes, there were some hiccups in the mid seventies with electronic carbs and solid state ignitions, but we have since made tremendous progress in cleanliness and efficiency.

/ Used Value vs Age #136  
Well, I bought a brand new 1972 Chevy Impala Custom Coupe in April of 1972, the week I got out of the Army. It got about 14 MPG.
Today I have a 2017 Chevy Impala and it gets 29-30 MPG.
If the 72 got 10,000 miles on a set of plugs, that was good. Ditto the points in the distributor. New cap, rotor condenser every 10,000 also.
If the tires made 10,000, that was also exceptional. Now they get 50,000 or more miles per set!
I dont even open the hood of the 2017 between oil changes— nothing to fix. It just runs and runs.
The 2017 has a catalytic converter and I’m pretty sure it emits a lot less pollution than the 72 did. Goes almost as fast, too.
My point is, yes, there were some hiccups in the mid seventies with electronic carbs and solid state ignitions, but we have since made tremendous progress in cleanliness and efficiency.
No doubt new vehicles have improved. Where would we be if they haven’t? Efficiency in everything through lighter/stronger materials and miniaturization is great.
Gotta laugh a bit though at these fuel economy comparisons. Isn’t tire technology better? Aerodynamics? All those factors help, but I bet the biggest factors to improving MPGs is reduction in vehicle weight, improved aerodynamics and much improved tires. Better engine technology is a natural evolution driven by competition and consumer demand. We have to keep that competition, and NOT pick winners and losers. Competition created the need for electronic ignitions, fuel injection, turbochargers, etc.

Last edited:
   / Used Value vs Age #137  
No doubt new vehicles have improved. Where would we be if they haven’t? Efficiency in everything through lighter/stronger materials and miniaturization is great.
Gotta laugh a bit though at these fuel economy comparisons. Isn’t tire technology better? Aerodynamics? All those factors help, but I bet the biggest factors to improving MPGs is reduction in vehicle weight, improved aerodynamics and much improved tires. Better engine technology is a natural evolution driven a lot by competition and consumer demand.

What vehicles have gotten lighter in subsequent generations?

/ Used Value vs Age #138  
   / Used Value vs Age #139  
I don’t need to make a list

I’ve looked at/researched many cars and trucks and was disappointed how heavy they’ve gotten with time which hurts fuel economy/outright performance.

/ Used Value vs Age #140  
I don’t need to make a list

I’ve looked at/researched many cars and trucks and was disappointed how heavy they’ve gotten with time which hurts fuel economy/outright performance.
72 Impala used to weigh 4000lbs, 2017 weighs 3630.
Sounds like about a 10% weight reduction to me, but I’m sure you can find all kinds of different weight specs.