User List Search

/ User List Search #1  

DocHeb

Veteran Member
Tractor
New Holland TC40D Supersteer
Muhammad,

Your setup for the all-forum search works well, with the search function being independent of the active forum server. How about restoring the user-list search capability in the same fashion?

/ User List Search #2  
The user search isn't available right now because it was designed to work with the database before we made some major changes. So right now, it doesn't work! /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif It's on the list, though.

/ User List Search #3  
Just trying to bump some of these back to the top, and see if we can develop some interest in bringing it back.
Again, I had a need for it today and it wasn't there.

/ User List Search #4  
Glenn, I'm wondering just what kind of search you are talking about. You can search for posts by a particular user by using the "search option" of "by display name". Is that not what you're looking for?

/ User List Search #5  
I'm aware that the "by username" option is available now, and that's a help. However, if there was a list of usernames available that you could refine by parameters within their database it would be useful. If you were looking for owners of a particular model tractor for example you could search and come up with a list.
My particular need this afternoon was to see if there were people (other than those I know of) in a certain area of Louisiana. I've got a trip planned to take my wife to M.D. Anderson in Houston next week, and had planned to take 165 from Alexandria to Lake Charles. My wife's friends have informed her that the only way to go is via I-49 from Alexandria to Lafayette, then get on I-10 to Houston... I was trying to figure out which members might have knowledge of that road that I could PM for advice.
Hwy 165 from Monroe to Alexandria is OK, although 2-lane. If it's as good a road from Alex to Lake Charles as from Monroe to Alex, the map looks like it'll save 90 miles from going through Lafayette. I've already got a room reserved in Kinder for Monday night. I guess I've just gotten too dependent on the expertise and knowlege available here regardless of the subject! The more ways we can access it the better. /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

/ User List Search #6  
OK, I understand now, Glenn. And I hope all goes well at M.D. Anderson.

/ User List Search #7  
I'm not from that area, but I work for LA DOTD and I just looked up the construction projects going on. US 165 is being widened to 4-lanes and there are various spots of construction going on. I'm not sure exactly where they're at or what stage they're in though. Here's a map of the project. If interested, you can read more info. about it here . It's part of the TIMED program.

/ User List Search #8  
Because user profiles are not standardized, you'd have to search several patterns for finding people based on location.

For example, not everyone puts in their state. If they do, there is no set format, so someone from Florida may have input Florida, FL, Fla, etc. Searching user-profiles is not as easy as it would seem.

/ User List Search #9  
Probably not easy to search but definitely better than not being able to search at all.

There have been several times that I wanted to search for other users with the same tractor as me so I could ask them a question.

Thanks,
Kevin

/ User List Search #10  
Thanks Jarrett for the link. We left yesterday and I didn't get to check the forums until now. Hwy 165 wasn't bad despite the construction. However, I-10 has really gone down since I've been out that way. We'll probably take a more northerly route through Tx via Shreveport when we return.

We got on I-10 a few miles east of Lake Charles, and the damage from the hurricanes was evident until we got well past Beaumont. The damaged areas extend back east to Fla, though we didn't travel through there. It looked like 80% of the rooftops visible from the bridges on I-10 had blue or white tarps over them from east of Lake Charles well into Texas. And we didn't go down nearer the coast where the real damage is!