Using a Land Plane (Grader)

/ Using a Land Plane (Grader) #11  
I love using my EA 7' ED land plane on my one gravel road.

Great video! No selfie stick: Plus 1!

/ Using a Land Plane (Grader) #12  
Has anyone used land plane of any design, to regrade poorly graded lawn? Not the roads. Grass mounds. My lower property tier is basically like lake waves. Upper tier is a bit better, but still very bumpy. Mowing those 5 acre is killing enterprise, as the result. Like boat on stormy water.
Yes, I know I can pay $2 000 for a dozer to come is and doze it. It's just that I like DIY stuff. I am in no rush.

/ Using a Land Plane (Grader) #13  
I can't see how a Land Plane would smooth sod? I'm afraid you'll end up with a mess. Without pics it's hard to say what you need. Maybe a Roto Tiller?

/ Using a Land Plane (Grader) #14  
Great video!!!

In Missouri I would finish by moving the material toward the center of the roadbed. This will put a slight crown on the surface. Will help water drain to the edges and reduce potholes.

/ Using a Land Plane (Grader) #15  
Has anyone used land plane of any design, to regrade poorly graded lawn? Not the roads. Grass mounds. My lower property tier is basically like lake waves. Upper tier is a bit better, but still very bumpy. Mowing those 5 acre is killing enterprise, as the result. Like boat on stormy water.
Yes, I know I can pay $2 000 for a dozer to come is and doze it. It's just that I like DIY stuff. I am in no rush.
You will not get any results while the grass is alive.

Spray it with a non selective herbicide, wait 3 days and then cut it as short as possible. Collect all the grass clippings and save them to spread over the bare areas after you seed.

Once you have the grass handled, drop the rippers on your land plane and proceed to move the soil from the high areas to the low areas. Don't be concerned with the grass on the areas you wont be cutting, go ahead and cover it right up.

/ Using a Land Plane (Grader) #16  
Has anyone used land plane of any design, to regrade poorly graded lawn? Not the roads. Grass mounds.-------------------------------
I can't see how a Land Plane would smooth sod? I'm afraid you'll end up with a mess. -----------------------
My skid steer style land plane will do sod, dirt or gravel:

P7190010.JPG

P7190011.JPG

P8290004.JPG
P8290001.JPG

/ Using a Land Plane (Grader) #17  
You will not get any results while the grass is alive.

Spray it with a non selective herbicide, wait 3 days and then cut it as short as possible. Collect all the grass clippings and save them to spread over the bare areas after you seed.

Once you have the grass handled, drop the rippers on your land plane and proceed to move the soil from the high areas to the low areas. Don't be concerned with the grass on the areas you wont be cutting, go ahead and cover it right up.
I just did this with my rear yard last summer. I didn't spray the grass, just cut it very very short, then went to work with first, my box blade, EA land plane and finally my rock rake.

You can see the hump right behind my house in this pic; what's not visible is the depression right to the left of that curve in the concrete:

LHq9aiV.jpg

This pic shows the "hump" better; you can see that the hump forces water towards the house instead of away from it. You can sorta see the depression just this side and to the left of it.

e59qvD2.jpg

After grading. The "hole" near the curve/corner of the concrete is now filled and the yard as a whole is a lot more level and smooth.

xgP20Qm.jpg

I did not use my land leveler/plane near as much as I thought simply because I didn't need to move all that much dirt. I found using the rock rake a far more easier implement to use.

Good luck!

/ Using a Land Plane (Grader) #18  
Ok, so it can be used for leveling mounds.
My property is what they qualify as "natural grade". trees cut, that's it. It is full of several inches tall/few feet wide hillocks. Mowing it is literally like riding a boat on waves. All i want is more or less smooth surface. I don't care if sod is disturbed. It's 5 if not more acres of meadow, and, grass grows back very fast, I found that first hand.

/ Using a Land Plane (Grader) #19  
I just did this with my rear yard last summer. I didn't spray the grass, just cut it very very short, then went to work with first, my box blade, EA land plane and finally my rock rake.

You can see the hump right behind my house in this pic; what's not visible is the depression right to the left of that curve in the concrete:

LHq9aiV.jpg

This pic shows the "hump" better; you can see that the hump forces water towards the house instead of away from it. You can sorta see the depression just this side and to the left of it.

e59qvD2.jpg

After grading. The "hole" near the curve/corner of the concrete is now filled and the yard as a whole is a lot more level and smooth.

xgP20Qm.jpg

I did not use my land leveler/plane near as much as I thought simply because I didn't need to move all that much dirt. I found using the rock rake a far more easier implement to use.

Good luck!

Looks good.

The only reason I mention killing off the grass first is to break up the root mass. Up here in MI, with a well fed lawn, the roots can wreak havoc on trying to do any finish grading as they tend to hold onto the soil and not break up.

/ Using a Land Plane (Grader) #20  
This topic is exactly what I’ve been looking for!
I have a 1/4 mile of gravel with some hills and even S curves.

I’ve been considering a land plane as a replacement for my box blade but not sure what size to get.. 6 ft of 5 ft...

I have a 2006 kubota L3400 hydro.

If I have a full box in low range going up hill— it will slow down...
but if speed is all that is needed I could just run it down hill!

Thoughts?
And land plane or clone?