3-Point Hitch Using Box blade With No Draft/Float Control

/ Using Box blade With No Draft/Float Control #31  
For final finish if there's no draft control or hyd top link, try fitting a chain instead of a rigid top link - adjust the chain & box blade combo until the front sides are about 1-2" higher than the level of the rear cutting blade.
The chain alllows the box blade to float & fill the contours - dragging mesh or a pallet behind will also speed up the process.

/ Using Box blade With No Draft/Float Control #32  
I wonder if some folks think that draft control is, in fact, the position control lever. For the folks that know the difference and do actually use draft control for the box blade; Where do you initially set the position control, all the way down to allow float or to a nominal "cutting depth"? Then, when driving over irregular ground, what does the draft control do to achieve leveling? How does it compensate for the tractor tires passing over high and low spots?

/ Using Box blade With No Draft/Float Control #33  
Hey Folks,

I recent did some culvert repair and extension. I want to level the area with dirt and then gravel it. I have a Mahindra 2555 with with no draft control on the 3-point, and 6’ box blade. The ground is not even, so do you have any recommendations on how to use the box blade to accomplish this without a draft control? I don’t want to end up with lumps of earth every time the tractor bounces over a lump of something. It seems every time I try to smooth something (gravel, dirt, whatever), that is exactly what happens.

Thanks for the help!
I maintain our mile and a half gravel driveway with a Mahindra 5545 and a 7' heavy duty box blade. In the begining, I tried to use the draft control. That was a waste of time. I finally only used position control and that made box blade life a lot easier.

/ Using Box blade With No Draft/Float Control #34  
Position control and draft control are two different things. Larger tractors have sensor inside the tractor on either the top link or lower arms. If the draft (how hard the the implement is to pull) increases beyond the set amount on the draft control the tractor will lift the implement a bit decreasing the load. As the load decreases the arms are dropped back to where the position control (sometimes called the depth control) is set. Small tractors just have the position control, the implement drops to the set point when you lower it. You do not really have a float position, you just set the stop lower then the implement will go.

Very small tractors (like my JD 1023E) do not have the depth control, just a drop and raise lever. It does not hurt to keep the lever pushed forward, that way the box blade would follow the ground contour. If I had to do a lot of work like that I would use a wire or bungee cord to hold the lever forward.
Every tractor I've ever operated had top link draft. And yes this is pretty much exactly how they work as has been said multiple times.

/ Using Box blade With No Draft/Float Control #35  
Op does not have draft. And seeking advise for using his blade without draft.

Yet this has become a whole thread about draft control.

Quite simply draft control is NOT depth control. ITS LOAD control. It wants to see a constant load, regardless of depth. And as the blade fills....it will pull harder and want to raise on its own.....till it spills enough that it wants to load again....and over and over.

Then what about going backwards.....totally wouldn't work.

As to the OPs question.....need to det the blade set to cut while it's in float. But not cut too much or too deep.

If the ground is really uneven....trying to hold position control just continues to make things worse. You have to get close before giving that a try

Combination of the BB and the loader. If it's high spots you are trying to shave....don't be afraid to try a loader while the tractor can remain flat while trying to shave it....as opposed to going over it to cut with the blade

/ Using Box blade With No Draft/Float Control #36  
Op does not have draft. And seeking advise for using his blade without draft.

Yet this has become a whole thread about draft control.

Quite simply draft control is NOT depth control. ITS LOAD control. It wants to see a constant load, regardless of depth. And as the blade fills....it will pull harder and want to raise on its own.....till it spills enough that it wants to load again....and over and over.

Then what about going backwards.....totally wouldn't work.

As to the OPs question.....need to det the blade set to cut while it's in float. But not cut too much or too deep.

If the ground is really uneven....trying to hold position control just continues to make things worse. You have to get close before giving that a try

Combination of the BB and the loader. If it's high spots you are trying to shave....don't be afraid to try a loader while the tractor can remain flat while trying to shave it....as opposed to going over it to cut with the blade

Sorry about going off topic, I know that can be frustrating for any OP, but thanks for your above explanation.
It sounds like draft control, when used with a blade type implement, is a spreading method as opposed to a leveling method. Nothing wrong with expanding the capabilities of the draft control feature.

/ Using Box blade With No Draft/Float Control
Thanks for all of the replies, everyone!! This was a very informative thread. I think I know what I need to do for now, thanks to you all, and in the long run, I need to add a hydraulic top link to my tractor! :)

/ Using Box blade With No Draft/Float Control #38  
I have a few 3-point implements that I use on my M6040. My tractor HAS draft control. Rather than trying to get draft control set up just right with my ROBB - I will use my LPGS. Yes - I will use the ROBB if I need to move large amounts of material. The LPGS with scarifiers down makes my driveway very smooth - once again.

I have a Fit Rite hydraulic top link. It makes using 3-point implements a real pleasure. And with significantly more control and accuracy.

/ Using Box blade With No Draft/Float Control #39  
My kubota does not have a "Float" setting on the rear box. But, if I hold the down handle down it floats. Saw it on this forum. Some use a bungie cord. Sometimes "floating" helps

/ Using Box blade With No Draft/Float Control #40  
My kubota does not have a "Float" setting on the rear box. But, if I hold the down handle down it floats. Saw it on this forum. Some use a bungie cord. Sometimes "floating" helps
It never ceases to amaze me of the myths that abound on the internet about some function controls on tractors.

Your Kubota has float built into the 3pt mechanism & operator should only need to hold 3pt control lever in place if friction device doesn't hold control lever where set where last positioned by hand.

I was taught back in the 60's that draft control was designed for ""ground engaging implements"" such as moldboard & chisel plows. Draft(load) control causes plow to automatically raise/lower in the soil so as to maintain a constant load on tractor engine.

Last edited: