Using the FEL as a crane.

/ Using the FEL as a crane. #11  
If you've got welded hooks on your bucket, why can't you just use a chain to suspend your pulley & forget about the clamps?

/ Using the FEL as a crane.
no , unfortunately I dont. Next time i am going to use a block and heavy clamps.

/ Using the FEL as a crane. #13  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( no , unfortunately I dont. Next time i am going to use a block and heavy clamps. )</font>

I think what you are doing is an accident waiting to happen. Them clamps even with a block are not safe. Just my opinion.

murph

Point taken

/ Using the FEL as a crane. #15  
I don't have welded on hooks either as I'm welder-challenged but I did add a bolt on hook. They're commonly available at auto parts and farm stores as tow hooks for trucks. Drill two holes and you're all set! Definitely one of my highest bang-for-the-buck tractor mods /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

/ Using the FEL as a crane. #16  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( Point taken )</font>

Deerman,

I hope I did not come across as degrading what you are doing. I think you can make it work but I don't like the clamps or the pulley underneath the bucket like it is. Rig something permanent like a pully that could go over the top of your bucket even. Weld a couple of sturdy brackets on top of you bucket that you could just pin in a pulley. That way when not in use you just take the pulley out. No different then a clevace being there. Also drilling two holes in your bucket for another pulley in the front of your bucket would not be a bad thing either unless your trying to move water with your loader. But this way if a pully broke or pin broke your cable would still be tight and not free to let everything fall. Your idea works on lighter things but we tend to forget sometimes and then start adding heavier things and the next thing you know something happens and you either let something fall on top of a person or you damage something critical. Just a thought on everything and I hope you didn't take me wrong. We don't want to read about you in the safety section or the local paper.

murph

No, not at all. My problem is that this is only an occasional use such as getting the winter cover for the pool up from the basement. and I really didnt want to spoil the bucket. Its kind of difficult to go back after you have drilled a hole.

/ Using the FEL as a crane. #18  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( and I really didnt want to spoil the bucket. )</font>

My bucket came from the factory spoiled. It has around 7 holes in it. If I need to add another one, I can't get my drill plugged in fast enough. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

All seriousness aside, I like your idea. I could have used that winch on many occasions. If I run across a nice pulley I will rig it to the bucket lip with a quick attach bracket and a pair of 1/2" pins or bolts. Each pin is good for ~4000#, and I can only curl ~2200#.

/ Using the FEL as a crane. #19  
maybe you don't even have to bolt or attach the pulley to the tractor. why not construct a tripod made of heavy duty timbers or 4 X lumber, lash it with good strong rope or aircraft cable, and then suspend the pulley from the center with a piece of chain and let it hang down just a few inches? try to weight it down well. put this out in front of your tractor and maybe you'll never have to drill any holes on your bucket. just a thought. have a nice day, db.

/ Using the FEL as a crane. #20  
Get a tow strap or a tree saver and wrap it around the FEL. Then attach the pulley with a D-Ring shackle. With a proper snatch block, this rig should be good for thousands of pounds. Your FEL will hit its limit far before the rigging. With your present "pulley" and winch attachment, I would not try to lift more than 100lbs. Even that might be a stretch. Also, I can't see all of the bolts that are holding the winch in place, but it doesn't look very secure. At the very least, upgrade your hardware to grade 5 bolts. Winch very slowly and check things periodically. Good luck!