Using the FEL as a crane.

/ Using the FEL as a crane. #21  
I have to agree with Murph. The basic design you are using by having the pulley so far below th bucket creates a long "moment arm" and this puts a lot of stress on the other moment arm which just happens to be held by the clamps. If you want to use clamps, I would make a couple up out of something like 3 pieces of channel iron welded into a "U" that just clears the bucket edge and then weld a couple of plates off the bottom channel and put the pulley as cose as possible to the place where the U turns the corner at the bucket edge. This will minimize the forces in the lever arms and result in close to the strongest configuration. Of course as others have suggested, if you have hooks welded to the top edge of you bucket just drop a chain over the bucket edge and attach the pulley to it. The type of clamps you are using, and the moment arms created are truly a disaster waiting to happen- the failure will be quick and total as the entire assembly will be pulled fromt the bucket, dropping the load. Just my thoughts.

Andy

/ Using the FEL as a crane. #22  
yes, XLNOIR mentioned a tow strap or tree saver. you could also wrap a chain around your bucket and shackle it together. the pulley could be shackled to the chain on the bottom of the bucket. no welding. no drilling. i agree with others, current setup is bad accident waiting to happen. you could also do away with the pulley and shackle the winch to the chain under the bucket, possibly by having two chains.

/ Using the FEL as a crane. #23  
OK, the way you have that set up the clamps are supporting all the weight. I would build a bracket that sets on top of the bucket lip so the bucket carries the weight, then the clamps would only have to hold it in place rather than support the weight.

/ Using the FEL as a crane. #24  
I think that your clamps are on upside down. You are relying on the screws which are the weak part. Turn 'em over so the screws tighten against the bucket bottom, step back and take a fresh look.
I have bolt holes in the bucket edge and I replace two bolts with eye bolts and a rod thru them. This is better but you have to work with what you have. Be careful above all, you could drop the heavy item and damage the floor and steps. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

All the best,
Martin

/ Using the FEL as a crane.
The winch comes with 2 bolt holes. It is rated with a pulling power of 2000lbs, but I dont think that it will pull anything like that. Im sure the motor would burn out. The winch attachment I was more confident about

/ Using the FEL as a crane. #26  
Either way, I mounted a winch also on the front of my ford, mostly because after I bought the winch I wasnt all that pleased with its power.It is however , a great thing to have on it , I use it mostly to hold things in the buchet . like stumps, and anything wlse I move and need to cedcure it to the bucket.

/ Using the FEL as a crane. #27  
I don't like the clamp idea at all either.

You coule drill 2 holes in the back of your loader bucket, & bolt the winch directly to the bucket. If you don't want the holes, put 2 bolts in them & nothing will be in the way, holes covered. As it's not on the bottom of your bucket, the bolts will not see any wear or be in your way.

This would provide a positive connection for your winch, no slippy clamping.

--->Paul

/ Using the FEL as a crane. #28  
Not to be boastful but i've been in the towing business all my life and anyone with a winch needs a Snatch-Block to fulfill these kinds of purposes. The clamp thing is dangerous!! Not critisizing just concerned about your safety!

Hooks welded on the top of your bucket would be a great and cheap asset for you for this task and many others. You could hook a chain in the hooks and let it hang down to hook the Snatch-Block into and wholla......you've got a safe, easy, and strong set-up. Alternatively, without the hooks you could wrap the chain around the whole bucket and do the same. Just have to be careful of it getting in the way of moving parts and sliding around.

BTW, if you don't understand what I mean by a snatch block......it's a pulley with side plates that extend a bit so a big hook can be attached. The whole unit is very useful in many, many winching situations.......ie: to double the strength of your winch line.......hook into a chain wrap around a tree or strong pole to make your winch point as if you were sitting right there with your tractor, etc, etc.........Trust me, if you have a winch on anything, a Snatch-Block is the best friend you'll ever have.

/ Using the FEL as a crane. #29  
Here's how I would build my bracket to do the same. 2in channel top of bucket 2inx1/4in strap else where.

Attachments

• 766484-bucketclip.jpg
    766484-bucketclip.jpg
    11 KB · Views: 168