Using two nuts on wall hold down corner holdown

/ Using two nuts on wall hold down corner holdown #1  

Keoke

Gold Member
Tractor
JD-970
Hi folks, building a new home and wondered if is permissible to put two nuts on a Simpson SSTB anchor bolt. The first nut with square washer would be used to hold down mud-sill like a "J" bolt, the second nut (sleeve nut) would be used to take an all thread rod above floor joist to "L" bracket hold down attached to a corner 4X6 post.
I am not sure if the SSTB anchor bolt can be used in this dual role?

thanks,

/ Using two nuts on wall hold down corner holdown #2  
If I am correct you are describing having your 4x6 sitting on top of your flooring? You probably don't want to do that because you'd be better off to have your post sitting on something solid underneath of it (assuming this post is supporting your roof?). Reason being you are concentrating all of the weight supported by that post into one small area on top of your floor where you would want to concentrate all of that weight into something solid and more sturdy that the floor. A studded wall sits on top of the floor and this is doable because it spreads the supported weight out over the floor rather than a small area.

Hope this helps some.

/ Using two nuts on wall hold down corner holdown #3  
I'd contact Simpson and ask somebody there. I don't understand what you are trying to do, but I'd be cautious of doing something that your anchor wasn't designed to do.

One of the things I come across with beginner framers is they forget the basic rule of gravity. If you stack your materials, they have more strength then hanging off the side of other material. Most of the time when I come in to repair a framing problem, this is the cause.

Eddie