using your tractor to pull a tree over

/ using your tractor to pull a tree over #11  
Yep! Quite apparent that guy know more about rigging and leverage than most people commenting here. Of course there are many options on how different people would have handled the project, but he got it done his way. ;)

Yup, my motto is cut it low and let it rot.

/ using your tractor to pull a tree over #12  
I can't imagine the tension on that main rope. If that had snapped it would have gone flying.

Ignoring friction in the sheaves, the tension should be about the same on all the lines.

/ using your tractor to pull a tree over #13  
it's a lot safer to either push it over with a bulldozer, or just cut it near the ground, and let it fall.. a tensioned guide rope to another tree to prevent it from going the wrong way is ok.. you need to look how the tree leans, and how many branches on each side it has.. pulling it toward you is not the smartest thing to do by far!!.. this info is only for people that wish to live a longer life, and not be crippled, btw..

/ using your tractor to pull a tree over #14  
He wanted to uproot it, not cut it.

/ using your tractor to pull a tree over #16  
I don't know what to say about this other than I was pretty sure is was going to be an epic fail.
Seems like hiring a stump grinder is still a smart option. But it's an interesting video.....
I watched that a while ago and was impressed. My first thought was dang I should do that. Second thought was he has like 10k in rope and pulleys and I bought a second hand grinder for $800.

It's cool to watch the pulleys though.

/ using your tractor to pull a tree over #17  
Thirty six plus years out here and I'll second what Newbury says - "cut 'em low and let 'em go". I have yet to dig out one single stump. Of course, my nearest neighbor is 4.5 miles away and only the deer, quail and coyotes have to view my "undug" stumpage.There is obviously, at least, two completely different genre of people here on TBN - - those who MUST have a backhoe attachment and MUST dig up their stumpage AND those who find no need for a backhoe and can leave their stumpage to Mother Nature.I say - - More power to ALL the people. I'm just glad I'm under the gentle tutelage of Mother Nature. Otherwise, I'd be worrying about the 100+ stumps (24" to 36" in diameter) scattered all over my eighty acres.

Well - I finally looked at the video. Can't decide what the guy likes most - playing with his ropes and pulleys or pulling over a stump. At one point there I think he has become somewhat lost on exactly which rope needs to be pulled on to bring over the stump. It sort of a maze and one could easily become lost or confused.

We all do recognize that this is a simple stump about ten to twelve feet tall - - so about the only dangerous aspect would come from a "fail" in the maze this fellow has set up.

Last edited:
   / using your tractor to pull a tree over #18  
Thirty six plus years out here and I'll second what Newbury says - "cut 'em low and let 'em go". I have yet to dig out one single stump. Of course, my nearest neighbor is 4.5 miles away and only the deer, quail and coyotes have to view my "undug" stumpage.There is obviously, at least, two completely different genre of people here on TBN - - those who MUST have a backhoe attachment and MUST dig up their stumpage AND those who find no need for a backhoe and can leave their stumpage to Mother Nature.I say - - More power to ALL the people. I'm just glad I'm under the gentle tutelage of Mother Nature. Otherwise, I'd be worrying about the 100+ stumps (24" to 36" in diameter) scattered all over my eighty acres.

I have locust trees, and it can take over 100 years for locust stumps to rot.
I do use my backhoe to dig some out, because leaving all of them for 100 years, is not a good option for me.
I am already 77 years old.....just can't wait 100+ years.

/ using your tractor to pull a tree over #19  

Well - I finally looked at the video. Can't decide what the guy likes most - playing with his ropes and pulleys or pulling over a stump. At one point there I think he has become somewhat lost on exactly which rope needs to be pulled on to bring over the stump. It sort of a maze and one could easily become lost or confused.

We all do recognize that this is a simple stump about ten to twelve feet tall - - so about the only dangerous aspect would come from a "fail" in the maze this fellow has set up.

My tractor backhoe was nearly useless for digging stumps. I doubt i dug over a dozen bigger then 6” with it ever. It still found a lot of work to do. Those that don’t have one are really missing out. You can apply their argument of just rent one to most people’s tractors.

/ using your tractor to pull a tree over #20  
As to removing stumps, each to his own. I have done both. Depends where the stump is for me. Kind of a waste of effort to remove a stump in my wooded area....but one in the mowed acre around the house gets removed. I think the last one cost me $200 to have ground up and it was over 3ft across.

A back hoe is nice to have but most people will never get their investment out of one. I have a contractor that charges me a very reasonable rate for BH work and he is less than 7 miles away. It is amazing what he can get done in 4 hours.