using your tractor to pull a tree over

/ using your tractor to pull a tree over #31  
Back in 1982 we came down and started building on the property. Two major projects going at the same time. Build our house and install barbed wire fence around the property. The property had been originally fenced in 1894 and, by golly, there are still three cedar fence posts from the old fence line. They were incorporated right into the new fence. They are split fence posts and even today - 125 year after being installed, they are still solid as a rock. About the closest source of cedar would be north of me - up near the US/Canada border.

Good reason for the longevity of wood fence posts - right now my Davis Vantage Pro 2 weather station is showing 5% relative humidity outside.

/ using your tractor to pull a tree over #33  
Another slow method is using sour buttermilk and then sealing the holes with candle wax etc...

A faster method that costs a few bucks is using charcoal...with enough charcoal even locust stumps can be burned out in a day or two...use the charcoal (and leaf blower as oxygen infuser) to get it burning hot on top and around the bigger roots...They will burn underground until the fuel (stump and roots) is spent...

/ using your tractor to pull a tree over #34  
A fast method is dynamite.

/ using your tractor to pull a tree over #35  
A fast method is dynamite.

I still have a very vivid memory as a 4 year old of my dad blowing out stumps with dynamite. In those days you just went down to the hardware store and bought it. I still remember the huge blast and watching a huge stump going so high in the air. It made quite an impression on me.

/ using your tractor to pull a tree over #36  
I still have a very vivid memory as a 4 year old of my dad blowing out stumps with dynamite. In those days you just went down to the hardware store and bought it. I still remember the huge blast and watching a huge stump going so high in the air. It made quite an impression on me.

I remember that also but my dad and I were blowing rocks out of a field. That was the life. Can't even get an M80 any more.

/ using your tractor to pull a tree over #37  
A faster method that costs a few bucks is using charcoal...with enough charcoal even locust stumps can be burned out in a day or two...use the charcoal (and leaf blower as oxygen infuser) to get it burning hot on top and around the bigger roots...They will burn underground until the fuel (stump and roots) is spent...
I wouldn't do that if you are in an area where you could start a fire doing that as there are those who have started grass/forest fires doing that...

Aaron Z

/ using your tractor to pull a tree over #38  
today, you need an FFL for explosives, as well as a State/Local Permit!.. also, it's extremely unsafe to use old dynamite that is sweating. especially if it's tan or brown in color, that's a danger sign that it must be handled extremely carefully, and disposed of at a bomb disposal, because it can explode at the slightest bump or rough handling!. that's why training is needed now, so you don't blow yourself or others up..

Last edited:
   / using your tractor to pull a tree over #39  

I remember my Grand dad blowing a stump; I believe he used half a stick of dynamite. He was maybe 100 yards or less from the house where I was standing and watching; the stump went at least a couple hundred feet in the air, spiraling end-over-end, and landed smack on top of the house with a VERY loud "whump". My suspicion is that he had to replace a few shingles at least.

/ using your tractor to pull a tree over #40  
I wouldn't do that if you are in an area where you could start a fire doing that as there are those who have started grass/forest fires doing that...

Aaron Z

Or close to a house is also dangerous and roots can run a long way underground.