utility trailer question

/ utility trailer question #21  
Eddie, in the early '60s when I worked for the Post Office, we had electric "tractors" that pulled the old 4 wheeled wagons that were just the right height for loading mail into and out of trains. The mail handlers would pull up alongside the trains in Dallas pulling 3 or 4 of those wagons, load them with mail and bring that "train" of wagons into the building to unload them onto conveyor belts. We had some mail handlers who could back 3 of those things at once and I never understood how they could do that; in fact, probably wouldn't have believed it if I hadn't seen it so many times. I couldn't handle more than one at a time myself in reverse.

However, 4 or 5 years ago my neighbor had 2 hay hauling wagons that would each hold 5 round bales and we pulled the double with his pickup. The wagons were the pipe rail type that you load bales onto the back end; just set the first one on there, then as you loaded each of the next bales, you pushed the entire row toward the front. He was telling me what a hard time he had when working alone because he had to unhook the back wagon and get it out of the way to load the front one, still hooked to the truck, then he would manually pull the second wagon up to get it hooked up again and sometimes in the field he couldn't hardly pull one of those wagons by hand. I told him I wouldn't unhook; just back the entire rig to get the rear wagon jack knifed off the side so he could drive the tractor straight up to the rear end of the front wagon. He thought it couldn't be done, so I showed him. /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif Unfortunately, he never quite learned how, so he drove the tractor and did the loading and I drove the truck pulling the wagons. /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif