UTV at 8600 ft?

/ UTV at 8600 ft? #1  

Jchonline

Elite Member
Tractor
Kubota L6060, KX040-4, M7060, X1100C, M62(S)
Hi Everyone,
We are in the market for a UTV (2 seater not 4) for our mountain property. We have 47 forested/rocky acres with some hills and are at 8600 ft. At a minimum I want a cab and heater. We will be using it as a snow plowing machine in the winter for our 1/4 mile of disintegrated granite road (with some hills), moving wood/rocks, and helping get to more difficult places a truck cannot.

My first thought was a Kubota RTV 1100C, but I am concerned about a diesel with no turbo at our altitude. Previous experiments with non turbo Diesel engines on tractors didnt go so well. The Sidekick was my next option, but they dont have a good plow option (at least from Kubota). It is basically an ATV plow with mechanical angle.

This needs to be a UTV, no trucks or jeeps. They are too big to get places on our property. So what does everyone think?

/ UTV at 8600 ft? #2  
I read good things about the Gator diesel with the add-on turbo kit. I think it was about $2k.

/ UTV at 8600 ft?
I read good things about the Gator diesel with the add-on turbo kit. I think it was about $2k.

I appreciate the comment. If this is something JD installs and warranties then I will consider. If it is like any of the others, it is aftermarket and voids warranties. That would not be favorable for me.

/ UTV at 8600 ft? #4  
1000cc gas so HP should not be a problem......tracks optional

710D7D68-D65C-4D94-938A-16EACD3D2E54.jpeg

/ UTV at 8600 ft? #5  
Have you considered a model with fuel injection?

/ UTV at 8600 ft?
Have you considered a model with fuel injection?

I am hesitant to go gas for the loss of low end torque, and the belt driven transmission. Pulling small trees out of a stand doesnt sound like something appealing to these machines. However I could be wrong.

/ UTV at 8600 ft? #7  
Sounds like you need a Toolcat...

/ UTV at 8600 ft? #10  
These is nothing wrong with CVT transmissions. We tow snow implements with them for thousands of hours, at high percents of the engines max HP. I've operated grain combines with a CVT drive. If you get a large CC engine, I'd bet donuts you'll do fine at 9000 ft.

Let me add that hydrostatic transmissions failed, in the world of snow grooming.