UTV - Trying to Decide

/ UTV - Trying to Decide #131  
Does your Jeep have a dump bed? No? Then just stop comparing them to a UTV.

Different tools for different jobs. Sorry, to be short but it gets pretty annoying going to threads to get thoughts on UTVs and every one of them has a jeep or mini truck fan trying to suggest they are the same. Start a thread on jeeps or mini trucks. They have roles, but being a UTV is not one of them for most applications.

/ UTV - Trying to Decide #132  
I drove my toy truck down the same trails I've ran our atv down. Guess which machine we run down them today? They ARE NOT the same. No little SUV on our shopping list.
boss in snow083.jpg

/ UTV - Trying to Decide #133  
i had a Ranger 850 with Cab. I had tracks on it one winter and sold them. Your speed is cut in half with them on and you drive around with the engine screaming away. I also had a RZR 570 and it was fun but useless.

My buddy bought a 570 and sold it after one year. It has transmission issues and was loud.

You will spend a lot of money for what you are looking for so test drive as many as you can and realize you will need to compromise.

Last year, we got the "cheap" Kawasaki Mule SX. Less than $7000 on sale. It is slow (25 mph) but has been very handy. We cruise a lot of old logging trails where speed is too dangerous anyway, visit neighbors, yard work, and run up and down the 200 yard range. We have been happy with it. Kawasaki is the only company to offer a three year warranty.

Your plan to get a RZR 170 for the kids to tag along with may be not work out well. If they are following you, they will be eating dust depending on the type of roads/trails you are running.

BTW, we have snowmobiles for fun riding in the winter. UTV's are not good in the snow and like I said, the tracks suck and add another $4500...get a good winch.

One last thought. If your trails permit, look at a used Jeep Wrangler. It will seat four (cramped in the back but good for kids), and will outlast any UTV. We had one for a couple of years and it handled our trails very well.
I will second the Kawasaki Mule suggestion. We have been happy with ours.

/ UTV - Trying to Decide #134  
Does your Jeep have a dump bed? No? Then just stop comparing them to a UTV.

Different tools for different jobs. Sorry, to be short but it gets pretty annoying going to threads to get thoughts on UTVs and every one of them has a jeep or mini truck fan trying to suggest they are the same. Start a thread on jeeps or mini trucks. They have roles, but being a UTV is not one of them for most applications.

I will repeat what I've said before. It all depends on how you want to use your UTV.

The below roads can easily be driven in a Jeep. But you'll drive them at crawling speeds, bouncing and tossing around, and after a few miles you'll feel like you've been beat with a stick. A UTV, with its 4-wheel independent soft suspension and tires that are inflated to only 10 psi, will cover these roads at a faster pace and the ride will be very smooth and comfortable.
P1016356r.jpg

P1017617er.jpg

I've been a Jeep owner for most of my life - and I'll be 80 soon. My current Jeep is a 2006 Wrangler Rubicon. I've been a UTV owner (Can-am Defender) for only a couple years but the difference in ride on rough roads between Jeep and Defender is still startling.

/ UTV - Trying to Decide #135  
I never got the “dump bed” thing

Had a gator, neighbor has an RTV1100

A POS rolled 18ga sheet metal or molded plastic “dump bed” functioning mostly as storage is not what a utv makes, for me

Loaded the neighbor’s rtv bed up once with boulders-rocks

1)definitely would never “machine” drop load it
2) bent the living crap out of it, despite being under capacity
3) seemed fine for mulch/sand/firewood or your saws

(And that was a “good” bed.)

I would only consider toolcat or greater (own a tracked dumper for real work)

Too much$ for a wheelbarrow vs a trailer. There is plenty of room to stuff all your tools in many similar vehicles. Imho the “dump bed” is about as valuable as my 3pt tool carrier and not a selling point.

Last edited:
   / UTV - Trying to Decide #137  
No doubt it is a handy space to throw crap into

Just not the machine selling point or what defines the machine for me.

When I want/need a dump bed, it isn’t for mulch or a chainsaw

(More specifically, the “dump” feature in a very light duty bed/system is not a “selling point” (To me)and do agree that the utv should have some means to at least carry equipment)

Last edited:
   / UTV - Trying to Decide #138  
No doubt it is a handy space to throw crap into

Just not the machine selling point or what defines the machine for me.

When I want/need a dump bed, it isn’t for mulch or a chainsaw

(More specifically, the “dump” feature in a very light duty bed/system is not a “selling point” and do agree that the utv should have some means to at least carry equipment)
Believe me, I understand the need for a dump trailer. I have one ATV sized one, and an other for use behind my tractor or pick up truck.

I often need to haul gear for a mile or more over twisting trails. I really appreciate the option of not being forced to bring a trailer along.

Last edited:
   / UTV - Trying to Decide #139  
No doubt, being able to carry is key whether that be a utv/jeep/atv w a box/mini truck or variant

/ UTV - Trying to Decide #140  
I will repeat what I've said before. It all depends on how you want to use your UTV.

The below roads can easily be driven in a Jeep. But you'll drive them at crawling speeds, bouncing and tossing around, and after a few miles you'll feel like you've been beat with a stick. A UTV, with its 4-wheel independent soft suspension and tires that are inflated to only 10 psi, will cover these roads at a faster pace and the ride will be very smooth and comfortable.
View attachment 772856

View attachment 772857

I've been a Jeep owner for most of my life - and I'll be 80 soon. My current Jeep is a 2006 Wrangler Rubicon. I've been a UTV owner (Can-am Defender) for only a couple years but the difference in ride on rough roads between Jeep and Defender is still startling.
A Defender is on my want list for sure!!!! It think they are the Cadillac of UTVs.