UTV - Trying to Decide

/ UTV - Trying to Decide #51  
Dealers around here have no (none) utility ATV’s in stock. They have the “sport” ATV’s but no work ATV’s.

I’d like a UTV but honestly cannot justify the price v my usage.

MoKelly
What constitutes a work atv for you?? I'd say one with a cargo box and seems the 6x6's are the only atv's with them today.

Last edited:
   / UTV - Trying to Decide #52  
Dealers around here have no (none) utility ATV’s in stock. They have the “sport” ATV’s but no work ATV’s.

I’d like a UTV but honestly cannot justify the price v my usage.

MoKelly

It is one reason I bought the Mule SX. It was $6800 last year. It is about right for doing a bit of work, putzing to visit, and ok for logging trails. It is slow at 25 mph but we have very few times we could go much faster anyway. ATV's are a pain here as we must wear helmets riding them.

/ UTV - Trying to Decide #53  
I've pretty much decided I'm going to buy a UTV but I'm having a hard time taking the plunge, particularly because the price is hard swallow for what your getting in a lot of cases. I doubt I'll buy new, as I don't think I can come in under $25k for what I want and I refuse to spend more than that.

I don't have any particular jobs I intend to put it to work on, just want a general little utility vehicle on the property that I'll also use for recreation. I'm right on the trail network that links to lots of friends/family and I see myself doing lots of that. I'll probably put tracks on in the winter.

I've also decided that I don't really want one unless I get a hard cab with glass windshield and heater. That somewhat limits the options and pretty much keeps me more or less in the utility side of things. I was originally looking at the Honda Pioneer and Yamaha Wolverine 4-5 seaters so I had room for the family, but I don't think those machines are well suited to a full cab (without losing the bed). I do NOT want a long wheelbase (crew) machine. I figured I'll just end up getting the kids a RZR 170 or something so they can tag along from time to time. A large bed like a Ranger or Kubota would be great, but I think I could live with a smaller one like on a Pioneer or Wolverine.

I have a lot of miles in a Kubota RTV X1100C at work, and I absolutely love the cab, ice cold air/hot heat and the solid, tractor-like build. They are SO slow though and not a huge fan of the HST. I might be able to live with one, but with the amount of road/trail running I might want to do, I don't think it's the best solution. Are any of the other RTVs somewhat comparable as far as the cab and solid build, but with a more road friendly engine/tranny?

I'm also looking at Polaris Rangers but my biggest worry with them is reliability, especially if I buy used. I have considered a smaller Ranger (570) as I think they are less prone to tranny problems like the bigger Rangers (and are a lot cheaper to buy new), but I'm worried about power with tracks. The accessories and aftermarket seems huge for the Rangers.

I love most things Honda puts it's name on and I was sure I would go with a Pioneer at one point, but I've heard they are very loud and I don't think the cabs are integrated all that well.

I just started looking at Wolverines from Yamaha. which seem like the cabs are a little better than the Hondas. I don't know how refined they are with a cab on. I'm a big fan of Yamaha too, and might even consider an older Rhino and save some $...

A Can-Am Defender or Commander might be an option, but finding a used one with a cab and heat (especially a Commander) is not easy and new is exorbitant.

The other option I'm considering is a Japanese mini-truck. I really like the looks of the little deckvans and many come with air and they are MUCH cheaper than a SxS/UTV. Not easy to find a ready to buy solution though (in Canada).

Anyway, just looking for general thoughts and insights.
I own a 2008 Kubota RTV 900. Absolutely one of the best investments I (we-have to include my wife, as she is as big of this vehicle as me) ever made. Right at 1000 hours now--never spent more than $10 for any parts--minor light bulbs-that's all. Only oil; lubes (Chevron) and filters. From a durability and universal functionality we wouldn't consider something else. I know Kubota'$ are expen$ive for sure! Our New Holland tractors out spec'd them AND Deere at the time of purchase--these units are 14 and 15 years old--and, neither have had mechanical or parts related cost(s) exceeding $20. And, the purchase price was less--not a lot, though-and, not really a factor. My point is that Quality Never Costs-It Always Pays. No such thing as luck-I would go Diesel-diesel gets '****' done! Best wishes!

/ UTV - Trying to Decide #54  
I consider buying a new Kubota RTV 1100C one of the worst purchases I have ever made. I could have bought two used Jeeps and had money left over. I don't hate my RTV but it was a terrible purchase.
Curious what you hate your RTV 1100c ?

/ UTV - Trying to Decide #55  
I own a 2008 Kubota RTV 900. Absolutely one of the best investments I (we-have to include my wife, as she is as big of this vehicle as me) ever made. Right at 1000 hours now--never spent more than $10 for any parts--minor light bulbs-that's all. Only oil; lubes (Chevron) and filters. From a durability and universal functionality we wouldn't consider something else. I know Kubota'$ are expen$ive for sure! Our New Holland tractors out spec'd them AND Deere at the time of purchase--these units are 14 and 15 years old--and, neither have had mechanical or parts related cost(s) exceeding $20. And, the purchase price was less--not a lot, though-and, not really a factor. My point is that Quality Never Costs-It Always Pays. No such thing as luck-I would go Diesel-diesel gets '****' done! Best wishes!
Had the same experience with my 2006 Kubota RTV 900.We owned it 15 years just sold it to purchase 2021 RTV 1100c.A real workhorse..

/ UTV - Trying to Decide #56  
What constitutes a work atv for you?? I'd say one with a cargo box and seems the 6x6's are the only atv's with them today.

My definition of a work ATV is something like the Suzuki Vinson I have had since 2010. Water cooled, 500cc, front/rear racks, good hitch, electric and pull starter. I can attach all I need to carry on a crate I tie to the racks. It does my trails great. I can attach a pull behind brush hog and get into tight spaces. It takes me to the far end of our 80 acres. It has a plow I can attach for snow and pushes the snow we get here just fine.

It’s getting older and I’ve put many hours/miles on the machine.

MoKelly

/ UTV - Trying to Decide #57  
It is one reason I bought the Mule SX. It was $6800 last year. It is about right for doing a bit of work, putzing to visit, and ok for logging trails. It is slow at 25 mph but we have very few times we could go much faster anyway. ATV's are a pain here as we must wear helmets riding them.

Thanks for the idea. I’ll look into it further.

MoKelly

/ UTV - Trying to Decide #58  
My definition of a work ATV is something like the Suzuki Vinson I have had since 2010. Water cooled, 500cc, front/rear racks, good hitch, electric and pull starter. I can attach all I need to carry on a crate I tie to the racks. It does my trails great. I can attach a pull behind brush hog and get into tight spaces. It takes me to the far end of our 80 acres. It has a plow I can attach for snow and pushes the snow we get here just fine.

It’s getting older and I’ve put many hours/miles on the machine. MoKelly

Seems like hardly anyone is building "pull start" atv's anymore? I've used ATV's (no box), UTV's and our 6x6 which has a box for work. I will not recommend something without a box for work anymore. We love this silly 6x6 and surprised more aren't used here.
boss in snow083.jpg

Last edited:
   / UTV - Trying to Decide
What about a Mahindra Roxor. They are not street legal, and they are about the size of a UTV.
Dang... I totally forgot about the Roxor! When they came out I kind of wrote them off because of the price, but not that I've priced cabbed UTVs it seems like an attractive option. I'm looking them up now. Thanks

/ UTV - Trying to Decide #60  
I sold my Grizzly and got a Wolverine R-Spec. I like it but should have waited because maybe two years later they put a bigger engine in it. I had the same justification of working around my place but agile enough for riding old mining roads out west if I ever take it along. I put a windscreen on it, winch and LED light bar. Just recemtly i put the factory fender option on it. Mine was a bar bones unit. The power steering model was maybe 1K more?? and only noticed a difference when moving.