UTV windshield choices

/ UTV windshield choices #1  

Tompet

Platinum Member
Tractor
Ferguson TO 20, Kubota B3300, BH77, Massey Ferguson 1540
I have an older Kubota RTV900 that has a homemade acrylic windshield..crack, rattle, scratched with fogged view...it needs to go.

So I’m thinking of getting a coated hardened Lexan windshield rather than the uncoated but not sure if it’s worth up charge. Also, besides that choice, any opinions on three vent options for the windshield: windshield with no vents, slotted vent(s) at bottom with a solid sliding panel to block, or a flip up style bottom section of the windshield?

/ UTV windshield choices #2  
I had a similar windshield on my mule and I removed it because it was not easy to see through it at night or when it's wet
I was considering making my own with heavy duty flexible plastic, like the windows on a Jeep soft top
I would have to sew or glue on some zippers or Velcro to attach it. This would also allow it to be easily removed. Or it could be rolled up and stored up at the roof of my utv when not needed.
I just haven't got around to doing it yet.

/ UTV windshield choices #3  
I've gone through several windshields over the past 20 years on my golf cart.

I prefer the half or folding windshield style because there's always times when its dirty/scuffed/crazed and you cant see out of the front while driving, especially when the sun hits it certain directions. No need for vents.

I made a custom hard coated lexan half windshield for my new RTV. Total cost was about $200 including fabrication and 2" roll bar clamps I got off amazon.

It was cheaper to custom make it at a plastics fabricator than to buy a windshield kit from K, amazon or fleabay.

Its not worth spending more to me because windshields just don't last. The hard coating helps a little but isnt a miracle cure.

/ UTV windshield choices #4  
Why not go to an auto glass shop and have them cut you a piece of safety glass. They can cut it to any size you want. And even drill mounting holes. Or buy a flat rear glass for a truck for $90 and cut it yourself--If you know how to cut safety glass. It's not that hard.

/ UTV windshield choices #5  
Heck on my CUT I used old school bus rear escape door windows for my windshield.
I had even retrieved the rubber channel material they use for installation.
That was some 15 years ago and still doing great, I even added a W/S wiper.

My rear is also made that same way but hinged upwards for summer and also sports a wiper for when I snow blow.

My sides use flexible material but I find that it distorts vision more than I like.

/ UTV windshield choices #7  
Do yourself a favor and get a glass windshield.
The poly windshields suck, they scratch way to easy

/ UTV windshield choices #8  
I have a split windshield and like it a lot because it allows for different needs.
Fully up = reduces cold air in your face
Half up = better visibility and airflow. I can also trailer it at 70 mph with a half shield. Full up might be ok but I would want to know that about a brand if you trailer one.

Just a note that on mine, a full shield makes dust worse. It flows around the windshield and circles back around on both sides.

Good luck

/ UTV windshield choices #9  
I have not had good service out of plastic windshields. YMMV.

I had a glass WS on a Polaris and it is the way to go but they are expensive.

I could not get a glass WS for the Mule SX so I am stuck with plastic and it is a POS.

/ UTV windshield choices #10  
Glass is the only way to go. Even the hard coated lexan go crappy after a while. You're better off not wasting a big chunk of money on lexan, and spend a bigger chunk of money on glass and be happy for years to come.