Snow V Snow Plow on my PT 1850

/ V Snow Plow on my PT 1850 #1  

SpringHollow

Elite Member
Tractor
Power Trac 1850, NH 2120
People asked for pictures so here are a few. There are additional pictures etc on my PT 1850 site:
PT1850 with V-Plow

Attachments

• 1 V Plow_0434.jpg
    1 V Plow_0434.jpg
    683.8 KB · Views: 217
  • 2 Angle Plow_0424.jpg
    2 Angle Plow_0424.jpg
    634.1 KB · Views: 173
  • 3 Reverse V Plow_0420.jpg
    3 Reverse V Plow_0420.jpg
    673.6 KB · Views: 166
   / V Snow Plow on my PT 1850 #2  
Awesome!

/ V Snow Plow on my PT 1850 #5  
WOW!!! That is fantastic........great job! .........Jack

/ V Snow Plow on my PT 1850 #6  
Nice setup looks very impressive.

/ V Snow Plow on my PT 1850 #7  
Do you have any problem with deep snow as you are taking quite a wide swath?

/ V Snow Plow on my PT 1850
No, the advantage of the V-plow on that long driveway which is much steeper than it looks in the picture (on the web link) is that the V-plow arrangement equalizes the sideways forces so my first pass up the driveway goes pretty easily ( a couple of minutes instead of 15 or so previously). Then I can let gravity help when I go down the hill with the plow now angled to push the snow further back. I tend to drive the uphill run further to the right, then on the downhill run, take a bigger bite with the angled plow relative to the lighter bite on the next uphill run to push the original "right" side further back. It really does take 1/3 of the time to plow now.

The reverse V works really well also in deep snow for exactly the same reasons. I get plenty of traction with the studded chains I use. With an angled plow, the force is always trying to throw the tractor to the side. That is still the only arrangement where sometimes I run into problems from the snow pushing the front of the tractor to the side. So far, that has only happened on uphill runs.

The deepest snow I have plowed so far with this plow is 18" at one time (if you do not count pushing back the piles). I was pleasantly surprised with the large pile I could push along with the reverse V during that cleanup. I would lose a little off to the sides but I would just remove the majority and then do a follow cleanup run.

I have wanted a V-plow for years but it took me a while to find one I could afford. I was lucky to find this one for $350. Cost as much to add the hydraulic circuits, I suspect but they have been extremely handy to have. I wish I added those years ago.

Ken

/ V Snow Plow on my PT 1850 #9  
I think what a lot of non-PT familiar folks don't get until they see it is that the plow on the FEL arms can stack snow higher and faster than a bucket on the FEL. It really is a fantastic tool for snow removal.

/ V Snow Plow on my PT 1850 #10  
A fearsome machine. Great build and design, and many thanks for sharing the photos. It looks even better than I imagined.

All the best,

Peter