Chipper Valby CH/SH250

/ Valby CH/SH250 #1  

slaken

Tractor
MF 4608
Am looking at a used Valby CH/SH250 and was wondering if any of you have this. If so, what PTO hp tractor do you use and does it operate fine with this PTO?

Thanks,
Steve

/ Valby CH/SH250 #2  
Am looking at a used Valby CH/SH250 and was wondering if any of you have this. If so, what PTO hp tractor do you use and does it operate fine with this PTO?

Thanks,
Steve

Best bet is to check the Valby website

/ Valby CH/SH250
Thanks Roy, I have done that and will clarify my post further.

Specifically, I was wondering if the 'specs' and the reality are different. The specs rate it for a 40-100 hp PTO. The current owner has a 40 and 50 hp tractor and says it is not enough to operate. That is not the HP at his PTO. So, I posted wondering if anyone that has one can comment on their experience.

/ Valby CH/SH250 #4  
Thanks Roy, I have done that and will clarify my post further.

Specifically, I was wondering if the 'specs' and the reality are different. The specs rate it for a 40-100 hp PTO. The current owner has a 40 and 50 hp tractor and says it is not enough to operate. That is not the HP at his PTO. So, I posted wondering if anyone that has one can comment on their experience.

I hope others respond with 1st hand experience...
40 pro hp should handle the operation, but the current owner may have had unrealistic expectations...considering he's at the lower end of the recommended power requirements.

/ Valby CH/SH250 #5  
I can pass on my experience with Valby. I was looking for a Valby chipper - one that would handle 6 inch logs. The dealer said my Kubota had more than enough pto hp to drive any Valby 6" chipper. My M6040 is 55 pto hp. I ended up getting a Wally BX62s because the Valby dealer was way over in Montana and the Wally dealer is here in Spokane.
OH, WOW - the Valby CH250 is a pto chipper capable of handling 10 inch trees,etc. The spec sheet says 40-90 hp and I know Valby means pto hp.
I'm sure 40 pto hp would be sufficient. Mainly because I don't see you -as one person - lifting a tree much bigger than say - - 6 inches. My Wally will handle 6" stuff and believe me - its not a lot of fun huffing a 6" Ponderosa pine out of the brush and over and into the chipper.
If you are going to be chipping 10 inch hardwood - and you have figured out how to get it to the chipper without blowing a nut - then 40 pto hp may be lacking.

Last edited:
   / Valby CH/SH250
Thanks. I rented some 6" gas chippers and anything bigger than that is firewood. Plus it's too hard to drag a whole tree. Valby said it should be fine up to 9" but the additional blade and drum weight requires more pto to really maximize the 12" potential. I'll see it on Saturday and hopefully if it looks fine take it home.

/ Valby CH/SH250 #7  
I can pass on my experience with Valby. I was looking for a Valby chipper - one that would handle 6 inch logs. The dealer said my Kubota had more than enough pto hp to drive any Valby 6" chipper. My M6040 is 55 pto hp. I ended up getting a Wally BX62s because the Valby dealer was way over in Montana and the Wally dealer is here in Spokane.
OH, WOW - the Valby CH250 is a pto chipper capable of handling 10 inch trees,etc. The spec sheet says 40-90 hp and I know Valby means pto hp.
I'm sure 40 pto hp would be sufficient. Mainly because I don't see you -as one person - lifting a tree much bigger than say - - 6 inches. My Wally will handle 6" stuff and believe me - its not a lot of fun huffing a 6" Ponderosa pine out of the brush and over and into the chipper.
If you are going to be chipping 10 inch hardwood - and you have figured out how to get it to the chipper without blowing a nut - then 40 pto hp may be lacking.

.... Blowing a nut....lol..I got a good chuckle out of that

/ Valby CH/SH250 #8  
The rated PTO hp is for max chipping capacity. You would be able to use the chipper most certainly, but you would have to be mindful of not overloading the tractor. For instance, it takes close to the same amount of power to chip a 5" log whether your using a 6" chipper, or a 10" chipper. The difference is, with a 6" chipper you can't overload the tractor as easily, since you can't fit a larger log in there

Unless the chipper has an electronically controlled feed controller, then you will not be chipping at max capacity with your tractor.

However, you can certainly still use it effectively on smaller material. Also, if you get a larger tractor in the future, you can carry over the larger chipper.

I have a 6" Vermeer chipper that weighs 1400 lbs. I stalled the tractor with a 6" log not long ago. I have the same power you do, so even a smaller chipper can overwhelm the tractor.

/ Valby CH/SH250
Well bought a used one today and hooked it up to my tractor. OMG is it nice. Largest log I sent through was an 8" x 5'. No problems at all. I couldn't feed it fast enough. It did a great job and am really happy. Only issue is there isn't a pto guards and have to fix that.

It seems much quieter than the 6" chippers I was renting and is obviously much much faster. The other nice thing is it sits on the ground nd requires no lifting.

Thanks everyone for you posts.

/ Valby CH/SH250 #10  
Attaboy!

Got any pics of it?