Value Proposition: What Makes Your Brand Of Tractor Better Than The Others?

/ Value Proposition: What Makes Your Brand Of Tractor Better Than The Others? #41  
What I hear a lot of you saying is the dealer had a lot of influence on your decision to purchase your specific brand of tractor.
The dealer always has lots of influence on my purchase decision. That's true for tractors, trucks, and all large purchases.

/ Value Proposition: What Makes Your Brand Of Tractor Better Than The Others? #42  
The dealer always has lots of influence on my purchase decision. That's true for tractors, trucks, and all large purchases.
Absolutely for me. Dealership close to home really made me not price anything else. Also, I've known many folks to have Kubota compact tractors, and every one of them have always been pleased. I do think the BX is one of the cheapest tractors on the market with a fel though, and the 0% financing is what really got me. I know you still pay for the financing, but I was happy with the payment size as it played out so I decided to go with it.

/ Value Proposition: What Makes Your Brand Of Tractor Better Than The Others? #43  
A local dealership has almost no influence on my decision of which brand to buy. They offer nothing that I can't get elsewhere. That has changed in the last decade, and used to be different before the internet grew up. Now a local dealership is simply one more supplier among dozens. They rarely offer expertise not found online. And shipping has become less expensive than time+gasoline.

What does make a difference to me is access to parts and service information - closely followed by a history of reliability. Both of those are now available on the internet, but didn't use to be.

My opinion may differ from others because mechanical things and tractors have long been hobbies of mine. I'm fascinated by design details and feel confident in my own ability to repair and design mechanical things at home as necessary.
rScotty

Last edited:
   / Value Proposition: What Makes Your Brand Of Tractor Better Than The Others? #44  
Dealer location, knowledge, and service
That's why I ended up with the Kioti, the other dealers were farther away and less interested in selling a compact tractor. Also at the time, I think the DKSE series was the winner on paper for weight, loader capacity, features, and cost. Not the best reseale but I haven't sold it yet so that may never matter!

Last edited:
   / Value Proposition: What Makes Your Brand Of Tractor Better Than The Others? #45  
That's why I ended up with the Kioti, the other dealers were farther away and less interested in selling a compact tractor. Also at the time, I think the DKSE series was the winner on paper for weight, loader capacity, features, and cost. Not the best reseale but I haven't sold it yet so that may never matter!
Exactly why I bought mine. Specs and price. Also, considering that I kept my last tractor for 27 years, resale value is not much of a factor.

/ Value Proposition: What Makes Your Brand Of Tractor Better Than The Others? #46  
There are multiple Kubota dealers within 10 minutes to an hour of here. One JD. No other brand within 90 miles. We are not price driven buyers, so we get the best of what we need. We don’t buy off brand anything

/ Value Proposition: What Makes Your Brand Of Tractor Better Than The Others? #47  
What I hear a lot of you saying is the dealer had a lot of influence on your decision to purchase your specific brand of tractor.
While I know I’ll probably never need it, when I’m dropping $30k or more on something I sleep easy knowing I have a solid dealer who will be there for me.

/ Value Proposition: What Makes Your Brand Of Tractor Better Than The Others? #48  
I have owned Massey Ferguson, New Holland, and two John Deeres.

It is just as important to let folks know about tractors you don't like as the ones you do.

I never had to do much to the Massey but had a dealer in the next county where I could buy parts. The onl part I sourced through the dealer was a power steering pump seal I probably could have sourced elsewhere for less money.

My New Holland is an industrial backhoe. I have done a lot of work to. No local dealer. Initially parts were easy to look up online and eventually a member of another forum provided quality owner, service, and parts manuals in pdf. Half the parts are no longer available and have to be worked around or sourced outside their dealer system. New Holland has turned a great online parts system into a mess that you can't navigate. Messics still makes it possible but can't overcome the availability issue. One example is my 4wd solenoid. It apparently is not uncommon for the coil to burn up. New Holland no longer sells it separate from the $500+ solenoid. I eventually dug around and sourced the identical coil less the connector for under $20. Another issue is cylinder rebuild kits. They often changed internal components with NO good documentation. The last cylinder I rebuilt I ordered 3 possible kits for so I would have what I needed on hand. Not ONE kit had the correct wiper seal. One of the 3 kits had most of the seals I needed but I had to measure and order a wiper seal by size. I have gone through similar issues with EVERY cylinder I have rebuilt.

Both of my John Deere tractors have been dead on reliable. We have a dealer in any direction. They have a great online parts lookup system and provide free downloads for owners manuals. One of our faithful TBN members has a good stash of service manuals.

If I were to buy another tractor my preference would be a John Deere.

Last edited:
   / Value Proposition: What Makes Your Brand Of Tractor Better Than The Others?
I have owned Massey Ferguson, New Holland, and two John Deeres.

It is just as important to let folks know about tractors you don't like as the ones you do.

I never had to do much to the Massey but had a dealer in the next county where I could buy parts. The onl part I sourced through the dealer was a power steering pump seal I probably could have sourced elsewhere for less money.

My New Holland is an industrial backhoe. I have done a lot of work to. No local dealer. Initially parts were easy to look up online and eventually a member of another forum provided quality owner, service, and parts manuals in pdf. Half the parts are no longer available and have to be worked around or sourced outside their dealer system. New Holland has turned a great online parts system into a mess that you can't navigate. Messics still makes it possible but can't overcome the availability issue. One example is my 4wd solenoid. It apparently is not uncommon for the coil to burn up. New Holland no longer sells it separate from the $500+ solenoid. I eventually dug around and sourced the identical coil less the connector for under $20. Another issue is cylinder rebuild kits. They often changed internal components with good documentation. The last cylinder I rebuilt I ordered 3 possible kits for so I would have what I needed on hand. Not ONE kit had the correct wiper seal. One of the 3 kits had most of the seals I needed but I had to measure and order a wiper seal by size. I have gone through similar issues with EVERY cylinder I have rebuilt.

Both of my John Deere tractors have been dead on reliable. We have a dealer in any direction. They have a great online parts lookup system and provide free downloads for owners manuals. One of our faithful TBN members has a good stash of service manuals.

If I were to buy another tractor my preference would be a John Deere.
Thanks for sharing such a detailed account of your experience Tractor Guy.

/ Value Proposition: What Makes Your Brand Of Tractor Better Than The Others? #50  
I have been a member of this site for almost 2 years and during that time I have seen the passion that many of you have for your tractor brands. I can often times feel that many of you have to hold back your feelings about the brand of tractor you drive when others make perceived disparaging comments about it. So instead of starting a thread to just answer a question or seek buying advice as so many on here do on a daily basis I thought it would be fun and interesting to create a space for everyone to share their passion and reasons for why their brand of tractor is better to them personally then the others. If it helps, imagine you are the sales person and everyone reading your post is your potential customer that you are trying to persuade to purchase your chosen brand of tractor.
I searched and searched. I went to You-Tube Tractor College for a few hours a night for like three months.
I got a Kioti DK 4710 SE HST Cab. I got it with a post hole digger, a snow pusher, a grapple, a loader, but not a quick hitch. Then I got a two bottom 14" dearborn plow, and a Howard Rotovator, and a toolbar.
Is my Kioti better than the equally sized Kubota or Deer?
I dunno, this is the first tractor I've owned.
But it's the girl I came with so I'm sticking put for the foreseeable future.
I am pretty sure it's better than a slew of other tractors like Mahindra ( prolly cost more too). But better how? Slicker nicer features better handling, tighter turning radius better engineering?