Valve Stems on my New Tractor

/ Valve Stems on my New Tractor #21  
They got to the inside from adjusting the rim to center hub spacing.
Yo keep the spacing that you have now the tires would likely have to be broken down and swapped around on the wheels.
When it came from the factory it was likely set at the narrowest spacing, when the track was widened the wheels got swapped side to side,
To get the spacing I needed for tire chains I ended up swaping the wheels side to side which put the valve stems on the inside.
I seldom check the pressure in my tires other then a glance as I walk by. My rears (18.4x30's) are at 13 psi in the winter and about 15 psi in the summer. My fronts are at 24 psi winter and climb to around 26 psi in the summer (11.2x24).

/ Valve Stems on my New Tractor #22  
They likely flipped the tires for a wider stance. On hills prolly good flatish land not needed. I have hills and run a rotary mower but I need a narrow stance for tilling rows for our very large garden. overall rear tire width makes a difference when tilling rows. I prefer a narrow stance to wider.

Same with pushing snow - tractor width needs to be less than the width of the pusher.
Curious how much wider stance you get just by flipping wheels.

/ Valve Stems on my New Tractor #23  
It all depends on the make and model of the tractor.

attachment.php

/ Valve Stems on my New Tractor #24  
It all depends on your tractor and the type of wheels, one piece or two piece.
On my Branson with the 2 piece wheels the closest position set the tires about a half inch from the inner fenders,
that was with the outer wheel on the inside of the center. Originally the dealer moved them to the outside of the center
which moved them out about 2 inches.
This was just a bit too close when running chains they would tick just a bit.

About 2 1/2" clearance from the sidewall to the inner fender,
inner fender clearance before.jpg

After flipping the rims and remounting them to the inside of the center, about 4 1/2" clearance to the inner fender.
inner fender clearance after.jpg

And if I move them to the outer side of the center I would gain another 2 - 2 1/2"
So I moved the track out about 4".
With the 2 piece wheels there are 4 different even spacing available.

I much rather prefer the bar axles over the flange type. The bar type are much more adjustable.
With less work if they have been used and lubricated over the years.

The rear of the tractor sure looks different with both tires off,
before widening
getting ready to jack.jpg

in progress,
both rears off.jpg

I guess I didn't get a rear view when I finished the work. It did take awhile as I had to remove and reinstall the 4, 300 pound wheel weights.

/ Valve Stems on my New Tractor #25  
Eddie, if you need to add air, use a piece of chalk to put a mark on the tire to help identify location of valve stem, and move tractor til mark is positioned wherever you want it, and can easily access it.

/ Valve Stems on my New Tractor #26  
I am not sure but I have backed into a thicket to clear land. When pulling out a ripped a stem. I was down for a few hours. I can understand how the valve stem on the inside would give more protection.
I had the opposite outcome. I flipped tires to widen them thereby making the stems inside. Pulling the boxblade full of dirt and brush some sticks ended up between the wheel and the frame and there goes my valve stem. I still need to be aware of brush on the outside but small sticks tend to not snag the stem better.

/ Valve Stems on my New Tractor #27  
Should be in the book. The OMM of my CUT showed the 4 different tread widths that could be obtained by different wheel orientations. Its wheels had scalloped mountings so a person could support, remove the bolts, rotate the tire 90 degrees to a new position where it changed tread width 4". Swap sides and there were an additional 2 tread widths.

/ Valve Stems on my New Tractor #28  
We have the same problem with motorcycles. Valve stem is only accessible with the wheel rolled to the correct position. Learn to live with it.